Physics card? Who needs a Physics card?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Has anyone read this article? Surely something like this would be able to outperform anything that companies such as the like of PhysX would put out. If anything, the sheer computing power that that has would be able to make the most realistic physics ever concieved. The neatest thing is, the actually plan to make one for the PCI Express! That means, in probably a year or less, there will be the opportunity to make the best experience that an enthusiast can have, without having to buy a server system.

But at the (possible) 5000-6000 dollar range, who will buy it in this segment? That would easily double the cost of a high end system, and it would multiply by 10 the cost of some low-end systems. Anyone think they would go for one eventually?

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Nice card, if I wanted to calculate the fluid dynamics of water over the surface of my new submarine design. Not useful for gaming though.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Nice card, if I wanted to calculate the fluid dynamics of water over the surface of my new submarine design. Not useful for gaming though.

I would think that it would be possible to make it of some use for gaming, due to the FPGA setup.

But I do agree, only the people who need it, think physicists and the like, will even consider buying it.

It would be neat though. With that much processing power, you could, even if by brute force, cause any game of today to be the sickest game of all time.

But alas, I don't drive a Ferrari, so I can't buy something like this...

TRENDING THREADS