tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I play assetto Corsa.

I have right now:

CPU: i7 5930 3.5Ghz

Three gpu cards of R9 290X (Not running CrossFire. Most games just don't support it.) Assetto Corsa use to, I had my rig running. Now it stopped and only one card is used. Not even an option to turn CrossFire back on. I was getting crazy high fps with everything maxed. The only way to get it to work was to max everything. After updating drivers or something suddenly I get 45fps. Bla Bla Bla, Not the topic I'm asking.

Steering wheel:
ThrustMaster TS-XW Racer
Sparco P310 Competition Mod.

The force feed back is great and I feel a lot of the road, curbs, and other stuff... (I thought). I just installed a geforce rtx 2070 super to test. But I would imagine my CPU is holding it up from the maximum potential. I would think I would need a CPU like i7 8700K to match the Geforce RTX 2070. But the cpu sockets are different and I'm not into buying a new mother board. Gosh, the up grade would be Geforce RTX 2070, CPU I7 8700K, and a new mother board, finally maybe I would require new ram sticks. That's a new bloody computer.

With all that said mentioned above. Like I said, right now with my i7 5930 and R9 290X single card being used but two extra cards just sitting there in the computer sitting around and me getting 45 fps playing Assetto Corsa. I'm feeling the force feedback pretty good. But to improve anything can I some how dedicate one of my wasted R9 290X gpu's as a dedicated physics card?

I'm not asking anything about phyx. I'm asking about physics in general.

Note: The first time I played Assetto Corsa after installing the new Geforce RTX 2070 Super I only had a fixed 60fps until I turned off some I candy stuff (I think is was some kind of sync setting but I have 120 hz monitors) now I get 120 limited by me fps through settings. Again after I installed the card and first time playing the game I sware I felt a lot more force feed back sensation in massive detailed amount. The cars are much harder to drive now (it seems) Am I just crazy? I just don't know why it would feel different and if it really does and it's just in my mind.

MY QUESTION: I would like to go back and use one R9 290X card as my gpu and one of my other cards as my dedicated physics card. Is this possible??? Maybe this will give me that force feed back I think I feel? Maybe help my fps? Save me $500??? That would be nice.

Solution

in short it cannot be done.

first the physic engine in question need to add support for GPU like nvidia did with PhysX. to my knowledge the only physics engine out there have GPU accelerated feature aside from PhysX is Bullet. but despite that none games that use Bullet ever use the GPU accelerated feature.

second even if the said physics engine have GPU accelerated component it is up to game developer to use it or not. and this is where the problem lies: game developer have no interest with it.

third and this is what ultimately kill GPU accelerated physics: the physics engine itself like nvidia physx already have very good multi threaded CPU...

first the physic engine in question need to add support for GPU like nvidia did with PhysX. to my knowledge the only physics engine out there have GPU accelerated feature aside from PhysX is Bullet. but despite that none games that use Bullet ever use the GPU accelerated feature.

second even if the said physics engine have GPU accelerated component it is up to game developer to use it or not. and this is where the problem lies: game developer have no interest with it.

third and this is what ultimately kill GPU accelerated physics: the physics engine itself like nvidia physx already have very good multi threaded CPU support. starting with PhysX 3 (which being released a few years ago) you can have much advance physics effect without the need to support GPU Physics at all....as long as you did not try to go crazy with the amount of particle being simulated. sometimes to really show GPU physx strength game developer end up "overdone" the effect which sometimes just make the game look more like a mess than making it more immersive.

Reactions: tsmith154
Solution

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Physx is an Nvidia thing (for GPUs), otherwise it is handled by the CPU.

I would remove one of the 290X GPUs. It is not helping performance. Personally, I would get rig of all 3 and get a single strong GPU to replace them all.

Thank's for the suggestion. I'm going to keep the Geforce RTX 2070 Super.

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

third and this is what ultimately kill GPU accelerated physics: the physics engine itself like nvidia physx already have very good multi threaded CPU support. starting with PhysX 3 (which being released a few years ago) you can have much advance physics effect without the need to support GPU Physics at all....as long as you did not try to go crazy with the amount of particle being simulated. sometimes to really show GPU physx strength game developer end up "overdone" the effect which sometimes just make the game look more like a mess than making it more immersive.

Thank you for this more detailed explanation. This helped my decide to keep the Geforce RTX 2070 Super and sell my qty. 3 R9 290X cards. I have all of them on water blocks. I have the original boxes with the original air cooling that came with them. Might get $100 buck each.