Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang5521

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Which do you think is more beneficial for the next one year?

I think PhysX is far more beneficial for the next year because it is already in many PC games that are already out, and it adds to the visual experience of the game at virtually no performance hit at all. Whereas, I think DX11 is only used in one game so far, and by the time DX11 becomes more popular, even the fastest DX11 video cards out right now will be considered old and slow. Therefore, I don't see any point in a DX11 video card at this time.

Opinions?

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Wait for Fermi, which has DX11 and PhysX? :)

If you already have a PhysX capable card you could get an HD 5000 series card and get both if thats what you prefer.

If you dont want to wait then get a 5000 series card, I see no point in getting the more expensive, lesser performing higher end (285, 295) Nvidia cards as ATIs cards are better in every way. Mid and lower range cards form both companys are evenly matched.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Well, lets start by saying that unless you have a decent dedicated PhysX card, you will see a large performance hit. Second, PhysX adds almost nothing to games at this point. Third, you are getting the PhysX API and PhysX GPU acceleration confused. There are a lot of games that use the PhysX API, but only about 5 games that support the GPU acceleration and even they don't see a large benefit. PhysX GPU acceleration is useless as it is proprietary, where as DX11 will be able to do the same on any DX11 card, ATI or nVidia. Also, modern CPUs are more than up to the task of doing everything any PhysX GPU acceleration can, but are usually locked out for marketing. Lastly, DX11 is the future and PhysX is the past.

Move along.

Batman AA
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
GRAW 1 &2
Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Cryostasis
Darkest of Days
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Mass Effect
Need for Speed: Shift
Shadowgrounds Survivor
Space Siege
The Stalin Subway
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Turok
Unreal Tournament 3
X-men Origins: Wolverine
those are the ones I've got that are on the PhysX list but as the physx indicators only appeared a few driver versions ago I can't say whether they all run on GPU or CPU PhysX.

Darkest of Days does and GRAW2 has a level that can only be accessed if an Nvidia or Aeiga is present the others I would have to re install and run with the PhysX indicators enabled to say for sure, but unlike you I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that they don't without providing evidence like screenshots of the those games with the indicators showing.

And I have two PhysX capable cards and am also being honest when I say that I have not run each and every one of those games to see if it shows as running PhysX on the CPU or GPU but then neither have you and yet you say that they don't because only a couple do and yet I have eighteen on that list alone.

Let me put it this way. I have the following games that are on the PhysX list of games:

Dragon Age: Origins
Gothic 3
Risen
Sacred 2
Silverfall
Two Worlds
Wolverine Origins

Only Sacred 2 has any added physX effects that are only present with an Nvidia card. And like Batman, you can't run physX on it without an nvidia card with any kind of reason.

And the others only show as running PhysX on the CPU?

What I was trying to do, and you so thoroughly ruined, is at least let the OP know that just because a game is on the physX list, doesn't mean it has any unique physX features for Nvidia cards.

If you wanted to be unbiased, you'd at least check your list of games to see if they have any special physX checkbox at least in the graphics options. Or play a game some to see if there was added features.

I was trying to be clear when I asked how many games you owned that have added physX features for Nvidia cards. A generic list of games using a game engine using PhysX doesn't exactly tell you if you gain anything by a physX card.

If the OP is to know what he's jumping into, he should understand this.

But if you haven't got some of those games on my list how do you know whether there is a check box n the graphics option or not?

A lot of the games are using game engines that have physX support, but don't use them unless the developers want to. Some may even use a very mild amound of physX that it runs on a CPU unnoticably different. Very few games currently out there utilize the physX engine in a way that adds any special effects that necessitates a physX card (e.i. has a noticable performance hit by not having one, or not supporting the non-physX card).

Status
Not open for further replies.