PIA VPN on Router vs. PIA Applet Questions -Torrents

LedaOhio9

Honorable
Jul 30, 2017
Not sure if this is a networking issues or if Windows?
Am using win7 x64 Pro
ANYWAY...

Using the Private Internet Access (PIA) applet I get great speeds while on my VPN except, torrents.
Testing... I added a Torrent ISO from Linux.. Debian, etc knowing they can push out torrent files fast and I am lucky to get 1/mbit. This applies to using the PIA Applet or going thru my ASUS-AC88u Router handling the VPN.

Is there a setting I am missing in the torrent app maybe? I've tried Bittorrent, uTorrent, and qBitTorrent.

I've also tried using PIA's Socks5 login / info in the torrent app it's self and it will sometimes jump to 30/mbit and then go back to a crawl below 1/mbit.

My router.. I am guessing it does not have the crypto crunching power needed but, on the PIA applet with VPN off at the router, speed tests show (105/mbit) almost that of my ISP true speed.. just torrents crawl no matter how many are seeding.

Thoughts?

Solution
:: knee slap ::
The Dot head lackies at PIA came thru via email support!

No seriously, do not know if he's a dot head.. My dedicated (since 1995) server, my tech Sagi is Indian, and I teased him for being Mike's Dot head lacky. His nickname to this day is still Soggy thanks to me. rofl Anyway...

This fixed it!

--paste--
We don't support issues with the torrent client. That is out of our control.
Our support is for VPN issues only.

I had a customer, who provided us with a 5 step guide for uTorrent client, which solved his speed
issues. Maybe that helps for you too.

1) Port forwarding enabled on PIA, and the port shown in the tooltip on PIA I've placed in "connection" -> "port used for incoming connections" in utorrent.
2) In the...

LedaOhio9

Honorable
Jul 30, 2017
That link / info got my hopes up.. I tried what it said, disabling UDP BW management to no avail.
This ver. PIA does not have the option to uncheck UDP management though. I did find it in BitTorrent and unchecked that being hopeful.
Then I tried torrenting: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/bt-cd/
And 1.0/mbit was the max it reached.

Maybe there is a command line when exeuting PIA that will disable the UDP management somewhere because, it does not have the tick box any longer.

Ideas?

LedaOhio9

Honorable
Jul 30, 2017
Adding.. before sometimes, Torrents would run about 10mbit or more..
I am on a clean install with 2 PCs and same prob no matter which PC or how the VPN is being used; Router or PIA applet.

LedaOhio9

Honorable
Jul 30, 2017
:: knee slap ::
The Dot head lackies at PIA came thru via email support!

No seriously, do not know if he's a dot head.. My dedicated (since 1995) server, my tech Sagi is Indian, and I teased him for being Mike's Dot head lacky. His nickname to this day is still Soggy thanks to me. rofl Anyway...

This fixed it!

--paste--
We don't support issues with the torrent client. That is out of our control.
Our support is for VPN issues only.

I had a customer, who provided us with a 5 step guide for uTorrent client, which solved his speed
issues. Maybe that helps for you too.

1) Port forwarding enabled on PIA, and the port shown in the tooltip on PIA I've placed in "connection" -> "port used for incoming connections" in utorrent.
2) In the same window - UNCHECK: "Enable UPnP port mapping", and "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping", and "randomize port each start"
3) In "Bandwidth" - UNCHECK "Apply rate limit to uTP connections"
4) In "BitTorrent" - UNCHECK "Enable bandwidth management [uTP]"
5) Then Restart uTorrent, but stayed connected to the port-forwarding PIA server.

Solution

Latest posts