Pick Case, PSU, HeatSink, HDD, SSD for my setup

qumsieh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hi Guys,
I am finally building another desktop after 5 years (so I m a bit rusty!!) I have done some research for the past week to get myself up to speed on latest and greatest - and this site is really awesome!!! I m trying to build a nice PC or at least nice base so I can easily keep adding to it as I go along.. Here is what I have so far:
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
i5 2500K
Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (8GB)
XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5

I will be using this machine for programming/multitasking for now with mild gaming so I m not concerned with the Graphic card (Plz suggest a better one for < $80 if possible)
I need help deciding on a Case, PSU, and heatsink (I m thinking of OC to 4.5Ghz) to keep my system cool.
For now I might not need much power or cooling but I might in the future so I would like to have the system ready for future upgrades..
I also need some help picking up a Hard disk? which ones should I pick that works nice with this setup?
My budget is about ~$400 for these.

On a side note.. should I invest in an SSD? which one? i might be able to squeeze an extra ~150 for that.

I really need to build this ASAP so I wud really appreciate quick responses.

Thanks guys.

Dyers Eve

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I feel like SSD technology is improving so fast that it really isn't very cost effective to purchase one now. A lot of SSDs are going bad and sizes are low unless you spend around $200. I feel like in the next 6 months to 1 year we will see much better SSDs that are reliable and more affordable and much faster. If you are going with an SSD go with Intel or Corsair in my opinion.

HAF series of cases are really good if a bit pricy. I do not like that XFX power supply. It got really hammered in the reviews and I don't think he needs 650W. I'd go with something like this antec supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

dan4patriots

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
HAF series is not pricey but fair for what you get, it doesnt matter if you dont like it- let the OP make his own decision and after rebate that xfx is just as much and better plus it gives him headroom to upgrade, ssd is worth it because once you go ssd you never go back

qumsieh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I think I m gonna go with HAF 922 because it has plenty of room and it might last a while as I add more parts.

For PSU as I add a better graphic card wont I need the extra power (550 vs 650) and I think I'd rather go with Corsair or Antec.. any suggestions?

For HeatSink: I read a lot of ppl are going with COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=cool%20master%20212%20plus
any thoughts?

For HDD: I never used Samsung for HDD I usually get WD and had great luck with them.. any suggestions for WD HDD?

Thanks for quick responses..

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Yea all im seeing on these forums is the Hyper 212 judging by your video card you should get this psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Im getting the 6950 with that PSU so you should be fine.

As for the Samsung thats another thing EVERY one recommends on here so that will be in my build too and down the road prob a SSD

Also if you dont mind me asking why did you pick 922 over Storm scout

Dyers Eve

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

I prefer WD too but they are like $10 more than the Spinpoints. WD has 5 year warranty opposed to Samsungs 3 and the WD drives perform a tiny bit better but I don't think enough to notice. If you go with a WD drive go with a black series one, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

qumsieh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I did not compare the 922 vs Storm scout.. I was comparing the 912 vs 922 and thought 922 has much more room for future expansion and even for future builds. So I just went with it.

For the PSU, I agree that I dont need a 650W PSU now and the Antec 550W will do. My concern is if I start playing games on PC (I do that on my PS3 now) then I might upgrade the GPU so I wud hate to replace the PSU then. I wud rather pay the extra $20 now and have the flexibility to upgrade other parts of the system without working about power.
I am just concern about the XFX brand even thu the unit looks pretty nice :)