[SOLVED] Picking a case for a new build

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Hi.

I'm looking over a couple of cases for a new build. But I'm unsure about what direction to go. I was planning to buy the Fractal Design Meshify C, but I got a little concerned about the front panel which has a foam filter. In terms of airflow as well as removing dust.

The build I'm going to build will have two m.2 nvme's on the motherboard. And I plan to have a 2,5 SSD and a HDD in the case as well. Fan wise I plan to get two 140mm to use as front intakes, so I'm not that concerned about the stock fans on the case. The motherboard itself offers a USB-c port in the back, so I am not that concerned about having one in front, since I honestly dont use that. The whole build is going to be air cooled, so I dont plan to have any liquid cooling or custom loops and so on. GPU wise I'm rather indifferent when it comes to two vs three fans, so I wouldn't mind having to go for a shorter GPU, if the build requires that. Though my two latest GPU's have both had two fans.

The other cases I have been looking at besides the Meshify C are the following:

Phanteks P400A
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500
Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX
Corsair Carbide 275R Airflow
Corsair 4000D Airflow

I've gotta be honest and say that I am not really a fan of tempered glass, instead I prefere a solid side. (Meshify C has this) But I'm willing to overlook it in terms of better function compared to the Meshify C in that regard. Same can be said about RGB, I prefere not having them. I'd rather avoid a giant case. Since I feel that a mid tower is the best option for me. As I've had a big case before as well as a small form factor one, and both had downsides I didn't like.

I can also leave a note that I'm a little concerned about the Lian Li Lancool II mesh in particular, due to the magnet doors. While I wont move my case around a lot I'd rather avoid any accidents. So I am a little curious about how the magnet doors hold up.

On the other hand I'm wondering if I'm overthinking things and that the Meshify C would be a perfect case for me.

Solution
Your parts are not overly hot.
I think you are good with the MeshifyC.

I might suggest a NH-D15s which is a high compatibility version of the NH-D15. Cooling capability and price are similar.
The NH-D15s is offset to clear graphics card backplates; some motherboards will put the pcie x16 slot too near the cooler.
The noctua site will have compatibility specs for most motherboards.
If you have ram with tall heat spreaders, the NH-D15s will clear those while the D15 may not.

Lutfij

Titan
Fractal-Design's latest case designs have flavors of their case in solid and tempered glass. Define 7 Compact? I personally think you're overthinking about the front mesh since you can always remove the front panel and clean it off of dust/debris.

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Fractal-Design's latest case designs have flavors of their case in solid and tempered glass. Define 7 Compact? I personally think you're overthinking about the front mesh since you can always remove the front panel and clean it off of dust/debris.

Wouldn't the define 7 compact have less airflow due to lacking a mesh front? And yeah the ease of cleaning looks great on the meshify C, question is how much the foam on the inside of the front would limit the air from flowing in, compared to a mesh front without the foam in it. Since I've read some reviews where the foam on the inside was a downside to the case.

What is the processor and graphics card inside that need cooling?
To my mind, two front 140mm intakes can supply all of the cooling airflow any modern set of hot parts could need.
There is a trade off. Higher rpm fans move more noise, but at the cost of noise.
1200 rpm should be fine, but you can buy noctua 3000 rpm fans if need be.

Yes, a filter restricts airflow some. But, having all your intake in one place and filtered will keep your parts cleaner.

Yes, you may be over thinking this.
Buy the case that visually appeals to you.
Bust your budget if need be.
A good case can be used for a very long time.

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
What is the processor and graphics card inside that need cooling?
To my mind, two front 140mm intakes can supply all of the cooling airflow any modern set of hot parts could need.
There is a trade off. Higher rpm fans move more noise, but at the cost of noise.
1200 rpm should be fine, but you can buy noctua 3000 rpm fans if need be.

Yes, a filter restricts airflow some. But, having all your intake in one place and filtered will keep your parts cleaner.

Yes, you may be over thinking this.
Buy the case that visually appeals to you.
Bust your budget if need be.
A good case can be used for a very long time.

Going for a 5900x and an RTX 3070. Plan to throw a Noctua D15 into it as well. Suppose that might factor in if the Meshify C is ideal, in terms of space inside as well.

I might suggest a NH-D15s which is a high compatibility version of the NH-D15. Cooling capability and price are similar.
The NH-D15s is offset to clear graphics card backplates; some motherboards will put the pcie x16 slot too near the cooler.
If you have ram with tall heat spreaders, the NH-D15s will clear those while the D15 may not.

Solution

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

Alright. I tried to check the site before but never found anything on the MSI B550 gaming edge. The pcie x16 however is about 19,5 cm away from the top of the motherboard. And about 7 cm away from the bottom part of the socket itself. If those numbers are of any help. I think it should go barely, if I havent messed up my measurments compared to the size of the D15. But the NH-D15 also seems like a good chocie to be honest, based on the info you have given me. Plan to get ram that is 32mm high. Which I believe is the maximum that goes with the regular D15.

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Found a build on pcpartpicker that uses the B550 and the noctua D15. Looks like it fits with a little space.

316843.d690cd209df6ff2822ea087e5bafc1b1.1600.jpg