Picking a router

Brandon138

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Just moved in and had my internet hooked up and am looking to get a wireless router. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a router so that I'm not bottlenecking my internet speeds or anything like that? I'm in an apartment so I don't need a huge range, just not sure what I'm looking at when I look at router specs.

Thanks.

Solution
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Look for the TPlink C7 as it is a good balance between price and performance. I recommend a router that supports AC1200 or faster.

Sh4d0w45p

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I would look at what devices you have and what Wi-Fi they have. New stuff like phone and laptop may have 802.11ac or 802.11n. These allow higher bandwidth (you can move data faster) but not entirely necessary. Do you need Gb Ethernet?

If it is just you and network demands won't be too high (streaming TV to 1 device) you will be fine with anything. The more you pay, the more devices will work at once and the transfer of files will be faster. So it is pretty much up to your budget.

I use a Netgear N600 - services 2x desktops, 2x phones, NAS, 2 laptops, and smart TV.

A brand name is definitely recommended. I have previously brought TP-Link and Netgear.

Oh! and chances are, you'll be living next to someone with wi-fi too. Get a phone app that analyses close proximity connections/channels. If there are a lot of 2.4Ghz connections you might want to get a 5Ghz capable router. (if your devices are compatible)

Brandon138

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
What's "Gb" Ethernet? And shouldn't all devices work with ac?

Main devices it will need to support are my phone, smart tv, pc when it's not wired, and friends pc/phone.

Would I be able to find a quality device at a Walmart or Best Buy or would I be better off buying online?

Walmart of BB have a more limited selection of devices, so likely better off online.

Any AC router will be backwards compatible with older devices as they support 802.11n and earlier standards.

When folks talk about Gigabit internet, they are usually talking about their internet connection, or the wired Ethernet speeds more than their router.

While there is no need to toss an 802.11n router, at this point I would suggest new purchases be 802.11ac gear unless extremely cash strapped.

Brandon138

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the help. Think I may end up going with the C7. Seems like one of the best for the price.

Just wondering, how come http://www.consumertop.com/best-router-under-100/ rates the C5 a little higher than the C7?