Question Picking cpu for a $600 budget

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I am building my friend a budget pc of ($600) and I was wondering what cpu and gpu to get. In my rig I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and I was thinking about using that but it is a tad bit overkill. On max settings I can’t get it to go over 50 percent usage even while streaming. And my rx 580 XFX is a poorly designed card. The thermals suck ( from my experience ) when I first installed it I was getting 500 FPS on high settings and about a week later I get about 100 FPS on low settings. So I have mixed feelings about that card.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Ok thanks. he said he doesn’t want anything nice just playable. So I think this will be a good start. Eventually I’m pretty sure he will want to upgrade so wouldn’t I upgrade the CPU before gpu? And what is a good cheap monitor? @Archaic59

Ok thanks. he said he doesn’t want anything nice just playable. So I think this will be a good start. Eventually I’m pretty sure he will want to upgrade so wouldn’t I upgrade the CPU before gpu? And what is a good cheap monitor? @Archaic59
I'd look for a 24" 1080p TN panel @ 75hz., 1-2 ms response time with freesync. Asus is my favorite brand. You'll probably spend around $150 for it, maybe a bit less if you can get one on sale.

A ryzen 5 3600 would drop right into the system I listed when he's ready to upgrade and you can add more storage later too. There's only so much you can do with $600 to start. You don't want to sacrifice quality on other parts but you can use an inexpensive case as long as it has decent airflow.

ben.clone45

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018