Question Picking memory for gigabyte x570 extreme with threadripper 3rd gen

Michael_113

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I am having the most difficult time finding the best possible ROG supported memory for the gigabyte x570 extreme. I will be using the 3rd gen threadripper when it releases in Nov for my build. The ram I have selected is either vengeance RGB or G. Skill RGB.

Could someone be gracious enough to answer a few questions for me?

What is the BEST possible memory (overall shortest latency - considering frequency vs. CAS) that can be used with the above specs?

I'd like to go 4 dim even though I know the motherboard only supports dual channel. If I use 4 sticks for visual reasons, what kind of performance drop can I expect?

What is the point of the threadripper 3rd gen having the capacity to run quad channel memory when the motherboard restricts the memory channel to dual?

The x570 restricts memory to 4400mhz but I've noticed that any ram I look at is significantly lower in frequency than 4400mhz. Any ram that runs higher than the disappointing frequency speeds I'm finding sometimes mentions that certain ASUS x570s are compatible but not gigabyte.

Can someone make sense of this for me? Are there frequency and latency walls for gigabyte x570 extreme boards?

Lutfij

Titan
First off, I might be out of the loop but which processor are you looking at specifically? Threadrippers can't drop into X570 chipset boards even if you glued them on. I might be out of the loop, again, but the way the processor is designed is physically too large for the socket on AM4 hence the TR4 socket.

Michael_113

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
First off, I might be out of the loop but which processor are you looking at specifically? Threadrippers can't drop into X570 chipset boards even if you glued them on. I might be out of the loop, again, but the way the processor is designed is physically too large for the socket on AM4 hence the TR4 socket.

That may be why I'm having so much trouble lol. Do you know if gigabyte has anything coming soon that will support TR?