Picking parts for a video editing/3D animation workstation.

MovingPixels

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hey guys! First time poster.

I'm building a new computer to be used for video editing and rendering, 3D animation, and some occasional CAD work. This rig will only be used for professional purposes, using Premiere Pro, After Effects, Modo, and Solidworks. I've decided to go for a x99 system with either a Xeon E5-1650 v3 or an i7-5820K. I'm going with a Quadro for graphics, either an M4000 or a K2200 depending on how close I get to my budget. Currently I am looking at an ASRock X99 Extreme4 motherboard, but am definitely open to suggestions. I'm trying to keep the whole build under $3K including a monitor, but would like to bring it down to the $2K price range if possible.

What do you guys think? is the x99 board the way to go? How do you feel about the Xeon vs the i7? Any feedback would be great!

I should also add that this is what I'm currently thinking. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GsRg8d
Thanks!!!

Solution
It's too hard for me to tell you right away what you need. What I would do is contact each company induvidually. They know their patch notes and future plans and all that inside out. They would do a much better job guiding you towards a perfect system than I wouldn't be able to.

MovingPixels

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016

3D animation. Mostly product visualization and demonstration stuff. I'm using Modo 902 for modeling, animating, rendering, particle effects and some light physics. Mostly rendering for 1080p.

MovingPixels

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016

Ok. Thank you for the information!