[SOLVED] Picking parts for new PC build

Feb 8, 2020
Hello guys, I would like to ask you for a help with building new PC. I would like to avoid Intel (just because I could upgrade AMD CPU in 1 year without buying new mobo).

Usage:
  • games at ultra settings (QHD monitor) -50% of time
  • programming (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Angular, React, Python, Java, C# - IntelliJ Idea, MS Visual Studio) - 20% of time
  • Illustrator, Photoshop (with Wacom board) - 15% of time
  • office work (Word, Outlook, Excel, browsing etc.) - 15% of time

Here is the build I am thinking of:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zXyL2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard (or is there any better? I would like to have 2x GLAN, pls)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: 2x Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (just as data storage)
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: (I might upgrade to ekwb -cpu+gpu or monoblock+gpu in 6-8 months, so that's why I am thinking about that case)
Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case
or
be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2
or
NZXT H710i
or which case with good airflow (and glass panel) would you recommend me, please?
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (should I get Platinum or even Gold?)
Case Fans: 7x be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140 mm Fan
or
EK-Vardar X3M 120ER D-RGB (500-2200rpm) - White (EK-Loop Connect needed?)
Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-P 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
GPU: I would like to buy just a cheap one right now, as I would buy new Nvidia's Ampere when it hits the market (till then I will play games via GeForce Now). So I would like to ask for which GPU I should go, please.
Keyboard: is there any good keyboard "like-a-laptop"? Minimum of noise, low keys etc.

Thank you very much for your help.

Solution
3900x is overkill for games and even photoshop. Most titles dont see a noticeable difference between a 3900x, 3700x,and even 3600. Id suggest getting a 3700x at most.

Msi x570 boards besides the creator and unify are either bad or not worth the price. For lan, Id suggest get a quality cheap board like the x570 aorus elite or x570 tuf gaming and buy a lan card.

What do you need 32gb of memory for?

What do you need pcie gan 4 ssds for?

Those cases are nice, however the H710i isnt very watercooling friendly besides rad support. Its also not worth it over an H710 non i since the smart device is useless. Id also suggest considering the Fractal Meshify S2 or Define 7 if you get into water cooling.

PSU is overkill. 850W is enough for dual...
3900x is overkill for games and even photoshop. Most titles dont see a noticeable difference between a 3900x, 3700x,and even 3600. Id suggest getting a 3700x at most.

Msi x570 boards besides the creator and unify are either bad or not worth the price. For lan, Id suggest get a quality cheap board like the x570 aorus elite or x570 tuf gaming and buy a lan card.

What do you need 32gb of memory for?

What do you need pcie gan 4 ssds for?

Those cases are nice, however the H710i isnt very watercooling friendly besides rad support. Its also not worth it over an H710 non i since the smart device is useless. Id also suggest considering the Fractal Meshify S2 or Define 7 if you get into water cooling.

PSU is overkill. 850W is enough for dual 2080 Tis and any non HEDT cpu. Go down to 650W, and a slightly lower quality unit like RMX or RM or Phanteks AMP or Seasonic Focus Gold since you dont need something such high quality.

Ek vardar rgb fans are known for having a high rate of failure. I suggest getting vardar non RGBs, Noctua NF-F12s, or Corsair ML120s (non rgb or rgb, however the rgbs are also overpriced). All are better static pressure fans than silent wings.

Honestly if you want to upgrade so soon, wait until that releases to build instead of wasting money on components you will only use for less than a year.

Reactions: danmd
Solution
Hello guys, I would like to ask you for a help with building new PC. I would like to avoid Intel (just because I could upgrade AMD CPU in 1 year without buying new mobo).

Usage:
  • games at ultra settings (QHD monitor) -50% of time
  • programming (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Angular, React, Python, Java, C# - IntelliJ Idea, MS Visual Studio) - 20% of time
  • Illustrator, Photoshop (with Wacom board) - 15% of time
  • office work (Word, Outlook, Excel, browsing etc.) - 15% of time
Here is the build I am thinking of:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zXyL2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard (or is there any better? I would like to have 2x GLAN, pls)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: 2x Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (just as data storage)
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: (I might upgrade to ekwb -cpu+gpu or monoblock+gpu in 6-8 months, so that's why I am thinking about that case)
Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case
or
be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2
or
NZXT H710i
or which case with good airflow (and glass panel) would you recommend me, please?
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (should I get Platinum or even Gold?)
Case Fans: 7x be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140 mm Fan
or
EK-Vardar X3M 120ER D-RGB (500-2200rpm) - White (EK-Loop Connect needed?)
Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-P 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
GPU: I would like to buy just a cheap one right now, as I would buy new Nvidia's Ampere when it hits the market (till then I will play games via GeForce Now). So I would like to ask for which GPU I should go, please.
Keyboard: is there any good keyboard "like-a-laptop"? Minimum of noise, low keys etc.

Thank you very much for your help.

"better" -- there's always better. question is if you need it. The X570 Strix-E comes with 2 NICs and is usually a lot cheaper than the ACE while being completely sufficient.
Of course there's always better like the Aorus Extreme, Aorus Master, Crosshair Hero -- but do you really need it? I doubt it. a 3900X runs fine on a 230$ board.

for liquid cooling the Lian-Li is a really nice case. for aircooling... not so much. and it locks you into 120mm wide fans.
the Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 is a very nice case.
often overlooked is the Thermaltake Core X71

SilentWings 3 PWM are nice fans for radiators. as are Noiseblocker eLoops. Not sold on the EK Vardars.

Logitech has a couple of keyboards like that actually

Feb 8, 2020
Thank you very much guys. I have edited parts link to new PSU (Evga SuperNova G3 750W), MoBo (X570 Ultra), case is going to be Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 then.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddqRq3

@extreme_noob I have to build new PC within few days. All parts that will be replaced within 1 year will go to my brother (I will give him cpu for sure, mobo maybe etc), so if they are not 600euros each I dont care then. I am using 8 yo laptop with dead amd gpu (glad for 2nd gen intel cpu with integrated graphic). I bought "gaming" laptop 6 months ago, but already has been in warranty for 4 defects (I have been fully refunded), so new laptop is no go for me. But I need to (at least) work, so that is the reason why I have to build new PC.

I would like to ask 2 more questions, please.
1.) For really cheap GPU for a few months (just for work), which one would you recommend?
2.) About fans for Dark Base 900 - should I get 7 of them? 3 in front, 3 top and 1 back as exhaust?

If I had to buy new GPU right now, it would be ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING GeForce RTX2080S O8G. But I really want to wait for a new Ampere, as giving my brother 1000e gpu and 750e components would be just too much :D,

Thank you again.

@Isokolon I am going to check Logitech's keyboards.

Thx both of u again.

Last edited:
Reactions: extreme_noob
Thank you very much guys. I have edited parts link to new PSU (Evga SuperNova G3 750W), MoBo (X570 Master), case is going to be Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 then.

@extreme_noob I have to build new PC within few days. All parts that will be replaced within 1 year will go to my brother (I will give him cpu for sure, mobo maybe etc), so if they are not 600euros each I dont care then. I am using 8 yo laptop with dead amd gpu (glad for 2nd gen intel cpu with integrated graphic). I bought "gaming" laptop 6 months ago, but already has been in warranty for 4 defects (I have been fully refunded), so new laptop is no go for me. But I need to (at least) work, so that is the reason why I have to build new PC.

1.) For really cheap GPU for a few months (just for work), which one would you recommend?
2.) About fans for Dark Base 900 - should I get 7 of them? 3 in front, 3 top and 1 back as exhaust?

If I had to buy new GPU right now, it would be ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING GeForce RTX2080S O8G. But I really want to wait for a new Ampere, as giving my brother 1000e gpu and 750e components would be just too much :D,

Thank you again.

Thx both of u again.
1660's or 1650's should do fine. Even a used rx 580, 1050 ti, or perhaps even 1030.

7 fans sounds good.

Thank you very much guys. I have edited parts link to new PSU (Evga SuperNova G3 750W), MoBo (X570 Ultra), case is going to be Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 then.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddqRq3

Thank you again.

Thx both of u again.

I wouldn't replace the stock fans in the Dark Base 900. They're really good.
unless you're watercooling the stock config should suffice

Feb 8, 2020
@Isokolon Thank you for reply. I won't replace stock fans at all. I checked at seller's web page that DB 900 comes with 3 140mm PWM SilentWings 3 so I will buy four more as I would like to have 7 of them.

But as you replied, I would like to ask you for one more help. I downloaded DB 900 rev2 Manual and I can see HUB has 8 pwm fan connectors - but at seller's web page it is said that they are just 4 of them. I will wait for a delivery and if PWM splitter is needed I will get this PWM Splitter (3x). If there are 8 connectors on HUB i won't buy it (store is 200m far from me so no big deal, I could get it within 20 mins).

My only question is about PWM and Aorus Ultra (decided to go with that + LAN card; I was thinking about X570 Aorus Xtreme but 800e is just too much even if it has passive chipset cooling). What would be your advice how to set fans speed please? With Smart Fan 5? If so, which setup could be good to go? Smart Fan 5 Auto - Performance? Is there any good guide that even noob like me could set it? Ofc I tried to g00gle it, but except of some moaning users I wasn't able to find anything understandable.

Thank you very much again :)

@Isokolon Thank you for reply. I won't replace stock fans at all. I checked at seller's web page that DB 900 comes with 3 140mm PWM SilentWings 3 so I will buy four more as I would like to have 7 of them.

But as you replied, I would like to ask you for one more help. I downloaded DB 900 rev2 Manual and I can see HUB has 8 pwm fan connectors - but at seller's web page it is said that they are just 4 of them. I will wait for a delivery and if PWM splitter is needed I will get this PWM Splitter (3x). If there are 8 connectors on HUB i won't buy it (store is 200m far from me so no big deal, I could get it within 20 mins).

My only question is about PWM and Aorus Ultra (decided to go with that + LAN card; I was thinking about X570 Aorus Xtreme but 800e is just too much even if it has passive chipset cooling). What would be your advice how to set fans speed please? With Smart Fan 5? If so, which setup could be good to go? Smart Fan 5 Auto - Performance? Is there any good guide that even noob like me could set it? Ofc I tried to g00gle it, but except of some moaning users I wasn't able to find anything understandable.

If you hevent oredered yet, the aorus pro is the exact same as the aorus ultra besides heatsinks and is slightly cheaper. I didnt realize you were getting it until you wrote this.

It depends on what temperature you set each header to respond to. Id suggest a manual fan curve, as its pretty easy to set with gigabyte. For system temps I would say ramp to 100% at 40C since those sensors are not near any heat producing conponents, and just detect case ambient temps. For cpu and pcie temps max at 70-80C.

Feb 8, 2020
If you hevent oredered yet, the aorus pro is the exact same as the aorus ultra besides heatsinks and is slightly cheaper. I didnt realize you were getting it until you wrote this.

It depends on what temperature you set each header to respond to. Id suggest a manual fan curve, as its pretty easy to set with gigabyte. For system temps I would say ramp to 100% at 40C since those sensors are not near any heat producing conponents, and just detect case ambient temps. For cpu and pcie temps max at 70-80C.

Thx a lot. Already bought all components (they will deliver them next Wed, case is from other store and will be delivered next Fri as it is out of stock). Ultra vs Pro is just a 4e difference (Ultra is on sale) so no big deal.

Thank you for fan speed reply. Will set it manually, my only concern was about bequiet hub - I have seen that there are some issues with that hub and setting fans speed with GB mobos (like here). So I am not sure if it will work at the end (should I set fans via BIOS or GB App?:). But I will play with it. Can't wait to build :)

Thank you guys!

I use SpeedFan and set a manual curve (watercooling)
works like a charm.