[SOLVED] picking the right components for a new station

Mar 8, 2021
Hello,

I am planning to assemble my first workstation and have chosen the following components. I`ll be using it mainly for 3d modelling / 3ds max/, some rendering CPU, 2d drawing and scripting grasshopper/python.
I would need at least 6 cores.
https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-scores-updated/ gave me some insights.

Please, give me some advice, whether the components are compatible and make sense for my purpose.

MOBO:ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4
cpu: Intel Core i5-8600 (3.10GHz)
cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2
ram:2x16GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Aegis
NVIDIA Quadro K5000 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 x16 Video Card With Dispalyport and DVI Outputs
or

MSI GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6

128GB SSD Team Group MS30 / can i5 8600 have higher storage?/
TP-Link TL-WN781ND

not sure about the power supply? Any recommendations for this case?

Regards,
Eugene

Last edited:
Solution
Does your software require Intel?
For a workstation a R5 3600/ R7 3700x would equal or surpass the I5 8600 in the threaded workloads you will be using.
I have Intel and AMD systems , but for your proposed workstation AMD would be a better choice. The 6 core 12 thread R5 3600 equals about 8 real cores for AMD.
The 3700 8 core 16 threads will be about 10.6 cores from my experience.

You can have a much any size SSD/M.2/HDD combination you want on either system.
Power supplies I would recommend
SeaSonic most any newer 750 watt gold or better.
Superflower Leadex platforms 750w gold+
Corsair AX HX RMx 750 watt series.
The power supply is not something to cut corners on when stability is most important.

Cinebench single/ threaded
I5 8600...
Does your software require Intel?
For a workstation a R5 3600/ R7 3700x would equal or surpass the I5 8600 in the threaded workloads you will be using.
I have Intel and AMD systems , but for your proposed workstation AMD would be a better choice. The 6 core 12 thread R5 3600 equals about 8 real cores for AMD.
The 3700 8 core 16 threads will be about 10.6 cores from my experience.

You can have a much any size SSD/M.2/HDD combination you want on either system.
Power supplies I would recommend
SeaSonic most any newer 750 watt gold or better.
Superflower Leadex platforms 750w gold+
Corsair AX HX RMx 750 watt series.
The power supply is not something to cut corners on when stability is most important.

Cinebench single/ threaded
I5 8600 178/ 959
R5 3600 197/ 1581
R73700x 205/ 2116
Single threaded is a slight advantage for AMD but multi threaded is a smack down by AMD this time arround.
Ryzen changed the landscape a lot.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 8, 2021
That is indeed interesting. Thank you for the advice!
my playground is 3ds Max 2019/ Revit 2019 and Python/with a configuration that can be upgraded without having to exchange all other parts. It is hard, tough, to estimate which parameter of the components to be carefull with .

I am focused on
R5 3600x,with
mobo ASR-MB-B550-PRO4
GA-SSD-M2-NVME-512GB
and nvidia quadro 1000

How to make the most of my NVME while choosing the rest of the components?

PSU-
Why do you opt for 750W. So far i dont exceed even 500W?
I was looking at either Thermaltake Power supply -Smart SE2 700W Modular (spr. 87%, Single Rail)
or EVGA 700W W1

How about the arctic freezer e sports/53CFM ?

RAM-
: G. SKILL Trident Z F4-3600C17D-32GTZKW (DDR4 DIMM; 2 x 16 GB; 3600 MHz; 17)
or HyperX Fury 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800 3600MHz CL17

Are there any disadvantages when using 4x ram instead of single or 2x RAM?

STORAGE-
1-Gigabyte M.2 Nvme PCIe SSD 1TB
2- without for now

Which are more stable- SATA III or PCle interface?

Regards,
Eugene

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I build all my own workstations. CAD and FEA and Rendering, etc.

Then when I build a new CAD station all the other computers in the building get it's castoffs. I rarely buy parts that aren't first used in a CAD station.

So, I usually get as fasts as I can afford. That's normally in the $3-4k range depending on what I'm throwing at it for a video card.

PCpartpicker.com is your friend. Pick a nice CPU and build the machine from there. It'll give you only compatible parts, estimate prices and wattage, give you warnings when you are out of it's known boundries.

Built a 9900k last summer w/ 128GB of 3600mhz RAM, 2x M.2s in a stripe, a Quadro 6000M w/ 24GB, H100i watercooler. It is FAST! Quiet (when you don't have your foot on the gas) and works very well.

IMHO, Intel is the only way to go when running apps like this. They will crash and the first thing they'll blame is a non-Intel CPU.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Built a 9900k last summer w/ 128GB of 3600mhz RAM, 2x M.2s in a stripe, a Quadro 6000M w/ 24GB, H100i watercooler. It is FAST! Quiet (when you don't have your foot on the gas) and works very well.

IMHO, Intel is the only way to go when running apps like this. They will crash and the first thing they'll blame is a non-Intel CPU.

How ironic... the engineers here at work who use like every CAD program known to man all have custom built systems with Quadro cards and Intel CPUs.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
I guess I didn't make that clear. Sorry. I did not mean to say that Intel crashes, I mean that the programs will crash, these heavy hitter programs do that. The fact is that these apps are known to be buggy and the companies let the consumers test & debug for them. If it's not an Intel CPU they will blame it on that. IMHO, it's not worth the headache to use AMD just to save a little money. Most cycles Intel will be faster even if it is a little more expensive.

Mar 8, 2021
Interesting.
Well, the standard of your workstationqMonsterMaxx, is impressive, unfortunately the post is somehow unrelated to my question. After all 128GB and 6000M /24gb is clear that works above # fine.
As for AMD- I have chosen AMD because it works better with vray / max/cpu rendering.
PCpartpicker- it is quite a good source, indeed. Thank you for mentioning it. I do check there my picks.
What I was hoping to get from this blog is real feedback from users for the components I have picked above. Charts are after all..charts and don`t cover all combinations.

I choose Seasonic, Superflower or certain Corsair power supplies for their quality and stability. I would never buy the 2 you have chosen. Both are lower quality with with cheaper Caps and short warranties.
Years ago power supplies were most efficient when pushed to to 80% of their capacity.
Newer power supplies are most efficient in the 50-75% range.
So loading a power supply in that range will be more efficient, quieter,produce less waste heat and run much cooler ,extending its life.

SSDs make a huge difference in load times and system responsiveness. But most people can not tell the difference between an SSD and a NVME drive without benchmarks. So don't get too caught up there.
I have SSDs, SATA m.2 and NVME m.2 drives. All perform well but loading large files the NVME drive always wins but not by a lot time wise. Stability will come down to your motherboard/drive choices and their drivers. I prefer Western Digital for SATA SSDs and Samsung for NVME.

G-Skill is good Ryzen ram. Have not tried Hyper x on a Ryzen system yet so I can not comment there.
4 sticks are harder on the memory controller and harder to get stable higher clocks.

The Freezer Sport is way better than the stock cooler and much quieter also.
Hope this answers some of your questions. If you have more just ask.

Reactions: eugene sy
Mar 8, 2021
Thank you, Unolocogringo,
answering with some delay, since I was not expecting to get any feedback here, to speak directly.
I have assembled the following:
asrock b550 pro4/ryzen 5 3600/ ssd nvme 512 + sata WD/ 16 gb g.skill trident neo 2 sticks b-die chip / hp nvidia quadro p1000/leadex gold 750 super flower/arctic esports/ win 10.
I am glad to find that my choice was somehow on the right path, now reading your recommendations.

The machine is quiet and runs smooth so far.

Considering the RAID setup -does it affect my data on the sata ? Do you make your RAID setup each time after you add new hard drive?

Hope I can be soon also of some help !

TRENDING THREADS