Picking the right motherboard for my new Configuration

Jul 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

After getting rid of my "gaming" laptop, I've decided to get myself a new PC configuration, the parts that I have picked currently are:

GPU - Nvidia GTX 1050 TI ( Gigabyte Windforce )
CPU - Intel Core-i5 8400
PSU - Be Quiet System Power 9 600W
RAM - 1x8GB Kingston Hyper XFury 2400RPM
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Now, regarding the Motherboard, after some research the most commonly recommended one is the Z370 Type, from which I'm currently considering the "Gigabyte Z370M DS3H"

Which totals out at roughly 1600BGN which should be around 800 Euro or 950 Dollars.

My question is regarding the motherboard, is it a good combination with the 1050 TI and Core i5 8400?

Also, I'm torn between all of the versions like DS3H, HD3 and all of the others, what is the difference? Is it just the connectors that I need to look out for?

I've read and seen statistics that the 8400 is the best "bang for your buck" option and would be surpassed only by the Core i7 processors which are much more expensive and out of my budget.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for the configuration in general, my mindset with it was "Best bang for your buck", my budget is roughly 1000 dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
CPU is way ahead of the graphics card, so consider less powerful CPU, or more powerful GPU (e.g. 1060 6GB).

Either way, you system will be held back by the HDD, and if gaming with any AAA games, eventually, the 8GB of RAM. That CPU is also quite pricey over here (£250-UK), so not sure if you have a good price, or not, but I would suggest a different setup, such as:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jJycNQ

Perhaps move up to a 1600 / 1600x / 2600, depending on CPU requirements, or future needs.

Is the motherboard good for the 8400? Sure. If you're after bang for your buck, consider if you'll actually get to use the CPU's power versus the rest of the system. The best back for buck CPU isn't generally an Intel CPU. More gaming bang for...
CPU is way ahead of the graphics card, so consider less powerful CPU, or more powerful GPU (e.g. 1060 6GB).

Either way, you system will be held back by the HDD, and if gaming with any AAA games, eventually, the 8GB of RAM. That CPU is also quite pricey over here (£250-UK), so not sure if you have a good price, or not, but I would suggest a different setup, such as:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jJycNQ

Perhaps move up to a 1600 / 1600x / 2600, depending on CPU requirements, or future needs.

Is the motherboard good for the 8400? Sure. If you're after bang for your buck, consider if you'll actually get to use the CPU's power versus the rest of the system. The best back for buck CPU isn't generally an Intel CPU. More gaming bang for more bucks, if you actually need the extra power, but with low spec gfx cards like the 1050ti, it's not going to get used.

I would start with your monitor size / resolution to help decide your ideal gfx card options, then match a CPU to that, throw in an SSD for faster system speed, 16GB of RAM, and maybe more (cheap) storage if needed. Lastly, once you have everything worked out, go with the motherboard and PSU that meets your needs.

Solution
Jul 27, 2018
Thanks for the answer, I'll take it into consideration, I might end up expanding my budget to keep most of the pieces I've picked as I believe the core i5 8400 CPU would be future proof along with a good motherboard.

I might just expand the budget so I can replace the 1050 TI with a 1060, thanks for the answer I'll keep trying different configurations and see where it takes me.