PICS: The Dirtiest, Nastiest, Computers Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I would break down and cry right now...if I hadn't already seen this numerous times before IRL. I'm SO VERY GLAD I have the full array of filters on my Antec P193!

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Man, the pic above is an Antec NSK 4480. That's not even a very old case. How'd it get that dirty in such a short time?

I've been repairing PCs for many years now and I've seen my share of really gross computers. It seams that the nastiest ones are always from either smokers or people with pets. A smoker with a bunch of cats is a nightmare!!!

fwiffo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I used to work at a compaq reseller and we would actually get computers in that had dead bugs and other unmentionables in the power supplies and case fans. Disassembling used computers (especially servers) is a truly disgusting enterprise

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I know someone with six cats and two dogs. I just laughed at their response: "what do you mean when is the last time I cleaned out the computer". That was a fun day. At least they had an air compresser to use so I didn't have to use 10 cans of air.

jrivera04

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I've personally worked on a machine that was much worse. It was a computer at a gym and the amount of dust that was in there was insane. I was actually able to remove it in chunks. It resemble insulation because it was so tightly packed.

The sickest part is that when you realize that 80% of dust is human skin, the machine actually had enough for a hand or foots worth.

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
That's nothing, I work as an IT engineer onboard an oiling rig and believe me, I've seen waaay dirtier machines, of course we try to give them regular maintenance, but these machines are used in almost open environment, and there is A LOT of metal, grease an oil in our deck... so you can just imagine the things I've seen. I promise to take some pictures the next time hehehe.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I'm constantly cleaning my PC's as I live in a house that is 150 years old and seems to call dust up out of some nightmare space no matter how much cleaning I do.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
My roomate is a smoker, He smokes in front of his computer, usually when playing games. He had a dell bought in 1999. I had enough spare parts to just about build him a new computer, I got him to throw in the cost of the remainder of the parts and built him a new system. When I got it built, immediately prior to giving it to him... I opened up his old case to show him what smoking did to his computer, it looked something like some of the cases, the white plastic permanently stained, the particles of dust bonded in a thick layer on top of many components...it was amazing that it still worked...It didn't look like any air could pass through that case with the vents completely blocked. He still smokes in front of his new PC...And he saw his own case.

PCs around which people have smoked tend to get filthy very quickly. My wife and I do not allow smoking in our house, although more for our sake and that of our cats than because of the computers. I try to clean my PCs out about every six months or so. Thankfully our cats don't seem to shed very much, but the PCs do get dust and lint in them.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Yeah, the worst dirt is when people smoke. It gets thick, and sticks to the components. Even a compressed air can cannot blow it away.

And it stinks SO BAD!!!!

G

This is what smoking does to a computer, folks. That brown stuff is gummy, thick, and sticky, and smells terrible. The bearings in the fans will be bad. All the fans will have to be replaced...

G

[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]PCs around which people have smoked tend to get filthy very quickly. My wife and I do not allow smoking in our house, although more for our sake and that of our cats than because of the computers. I try to clean my PCs out about every six months or so. Thankfully our cats don't seem to shed very much, but the PCs do get dust and lint in them.[/citation]

Bird dander, especially from Cockatoos, is an issue. It isn't unpleasant stuff - just a white powder - but it gets everywhere. By the way, if you EVER think about getting a bird, do your homework. That white powder is just the beginning. They are very difficult, expensive pets, and require the patience of a saint.

jrsdav

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
At our work we call them Degobah Systems because of the uncanny resemblance to whatever Yoda pulls out of the swamp. I've got loads of pictures, even one with a dead rodent inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS