Question Picture and Audio Issues with OLED

May 4, 2020
1) In near black areas, I'm getting this weird pixelation issue. I realize it's probably the source, but what do I do about it? I view these same sources on a cheap computer monitor, and the affected areas appear much darker without any detail. They look much better. But one of the first things I tried was darkening the TV. That did have some impact on the area, but it worsened the rest of the picture. Maybe there's a middle ground I'm missing? Any ideas I'm missing?

2) I've a sound bar. It will randomly turn off. Very annoying. Occasionally, it doesn't want to turn back on by pressing the volume button. So I have to turn off the TV and and back on again. Occasionally, the TV itself will shut itself down because, according to the warning message, it doesn't detect a power or input source, can't remember the error exactly. It's buggy. Any fixes for these types of things? This is Vizio.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your TV and your soundbar? How is the soundbar connected to your TV? HDMI ARC? You might want to see if changing the cable inputs for the audio and display change your experience. By darkening, did you mean you reduced the brightness of the panel via OSD?

May 4, 2020
Make and model of your TV and your soundbar? How is the soundbar connected to your TV? HDMI ARC? You might want to see if changing the cable inputs for the audio and display change your experience. By darkening, did you mean you reduced the brightness of the panel via OSD?

Thanks for your reply. The TV is a Vizio OLED 55-H1. The soundbar is a Vizio SB3651-F6. I'm not sure what input I'm using...I just plugged it into one of the HDMIs. Sound came out of the speakers, so I figured it was good. I don't understand this eArc/Arc stuff. However, unless that port is defective--I'm not sure what port would get a better result. I'm pretty confident I followed the instructions adequately. It's worth a try though.

Yes, mainly reducing the brightness via the menu settings would darken those pixelated areas and make them look more tolerable. However, this negatively affected the rest of the picture, especially when the scene changed. I tried messing with gamma, contrast, and luminescence as well; the effects were pretty inconsequential on the pixelation without going to the extremes and they similarly affected the rest of the picture. I tried every other setting other than the calibration settings, like noise reduction and motion, but these didn't have any discernible effects on the affected areas.

I have not seen these issues in shows with the latest in picture quality, which is mainly why I assume it's a source issue. Rather, I see it mainly in Youtube streams and mid-budget movies that are 3 or more years old--or high budget shows more than 5 years old. But still, my TV should be able to compensate to some degree--and it epic fails. There's gotta be a way to make this look not horrible.