[SOLVED] Picture looks pixelated

AlphaCloud_X

Reputable
Sep 3, 2019
So today I had the opportunity to go outside and snap some photo's however when taking some photos of a city skyline from afar the photos seem pixelated much more than they should. I'm currently using my Huawei p20 pro and shot it at 40mp and also had the same issue on a Samsung A71 being shot at the full mode. However when shooting closer up, the photo's are much clearer. Any idea what might be the problem?

Afar Photos

Huawei p20 pro afar photo:
LPsu9as.jpg

Link to it for full resolution: View: https://i.imgur.com/LPsu9as.jpg

Samsung A71 afar photo, this was shot on a different day when it was more cloudy and from a bit of a different location:
7QHNsHm.jpg

Link to it for full resolution: View: https://i.imgur.com/7QHNsHm.jpg

Now for the up close photos:

Huawei p20 pro close up photo:
L4Cuiel.jpg

Link to full image: View: https://i.imgur.com/L4Cuiel.jpg

Samsung A71 close up photo:
ILzIW9a.jpg

Link to full image: View: https://i.imgur.com/ILzIW9a.jpg

Solution
You’re using phones, the cameras aren’t that good. Plus as said above with “bigger number more better” mentality companies are cramming stupid MP into tiny sensors. Think that the full frame Sony AS7III uses a 24MP sensor. Why does a phone with a much smaller sensor need more than 20? Would say if you’re interested in photography to get a mirrorless or DSLR camera. Even the cheaper end blow phones out of the water.
I dont see anything out of the ordinary for shots like that, given you are using a cell phone camera.
There are several factors involved, and none of them are anything that could have been "fixed".
Shooting over long distances atmospheric distortion comes into play much more than up close, heat waves for example will disrupt image quality.
Sensor size also plays a key role, 40MP jammed into a tiny smart phone sensor means each individual pixel is quite small, so their resolving power is limited for a subject like this.
Overall lens design also comes into consideration, without advanced optical elements found in a traditional camera your resolving power is limited further.

Since you are able to take acceptable photos in other situations you can determine that subject and setting is not suitable for the equipment you are using.
For additional benefit you will want to consider a bridge camera (A digital camera with a fixed lens) or preferably an ILC (interchangeable lens camera, your conventional DSLR or Mirrorless camera with different lenses for different uses)

Reactions: Wogears

AlphaCloud_X

Reputable
Sep 3, 2019
I dont see anything out of the ordinary for shots like that, given you are using a cell phone camera.
There are several factors involved, and none of them are anything that could have been "fixed".
Shooting over long distances atmospheric distortion comes into play much more than up close, heat waves for example will disrupt image quality.
Sensor size also plays a key role, 40MP jammed into a tiny smart phone sensor means each individual pixel is quite small, so their resolving power is limited for a subject like this.
Overall lens design also comes into consideration, without advanced optical elements found in a traditional camera your resolving power is limited further.

Since you are able to take acceptable photos in other situations you can determine that subject and setting is not suitable for the equipment you are using.
For additional benefit you will want to consider a bridge camera (A digital camera with a fixed lens) or preferably an ILC (interchangeable lens camera, your conventional DSLR or Mirrorless camera with different lenses for different uses)
ok fair enough, so I guess I was shooting too far for the camera to handle.

You’re using phones, the cameras aren’t that good. Plus as said above with “bigger number more better” mentality companies are cramming stupid MP into tiny sensors. Think that the full frame Sony AS7III uses a 24MP sensor. Why does a phone with a much smaller sensor need more than 20? Would say if you’re interested in photography to get a mirrorless or DSLR camera. Even the cheaper end blow phones out of the water.

Solution