Picture only visible in 1080p on 4k monitor

InterGmoose

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Hello guys :)

To be honest i am very pissed off right now..

I have a Samsung 4k monitor, the U28D590D. When using displayport the picture is only visible in 1080p. As soon as i choose 3840x2160 as my resolution the screen turns black, no visible picture what so ever.

I read something online about some cables being reduced bit rate, which only allows them a maximum resolution of 1080p, so I bought TWO other cables, botch displayport 1.2. And none of them work.

If I use HDMI, i can use 4k resolution, but to a reduced 30hz, which is unacceptable. So i dont think the screen is broken.

My graphics card is the XFX R7 260x.

Both the screen and the card should support 4k 60hz using displayport. But what am I doing wrong? Please help!

pauls3743

Distinguished
Have you went into the menu on your screen and enabled 1.2? I had to do it on my ASUS PB287Q.

Another thing worth noting is that my screen doesn't always switch on when I boot my computer. I sometimes have to completely power down my system, switch off at the socket and then power it back up. Most times I get away with just rebooting my pc.

InterGmoose

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

Yes, i know that. But the screen itselft supports only 3840x2160, which the card also supports. Still I dont know where the fault is..

InterGmoose

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

This i haven't even considered. Because when i disconect the hdmi, and select the displayport as the source the screen first starts grey, then changes to the black as when the screen is turned off..And on the monitor itself, all I can see is the option to change from PC/AV on the different ports.

But I can try your tips, thank you my friend :)

I have now tried everything, nothing works...I have reinstalled the drivers, done all of the above you mentioned, reinstalled the drivers for the screen..What to do? Is it possible that either the card or the screen is broken?

InterGmoose

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

And I am not trying to do it, I use it only for the extra space when using visual studio, photoshop and so on. Its also not on topic. This computer isn'n meant to run games.

Ulrik M

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hey

I had the exact same problem as you have. I managed to fix it by going to my screen option (pressing the buttons on the screen) and browse all the catagories until i found a setting for displayport 1.1 and 1.2. Someone already suggested that it should be DP 1.2 - which didn't work.

However when i tried DP 1.1 my screen started working!

I have no idea why it works, but it somehow does.

but you mentioned 60hz.. i thought you were expecting 60hz