Question Picture randomly vanished on screen and now I get nothing when I boot the PC up.

LG18

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
I’ve just built this gaming PC for my girlfriend.

It’s built around my old R9 280X (3gb).

It’s got a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, 8gb of Viper 2400mhz RAM, a GIGABYTE B450M DS3H motherboard and a Corsair VS650 650W PSU.
It also has a 1tb WD blue HDD.

Build went great, installed Windows via USB and then downloaded four of her games from Steam.
The PC was running for about four of five hours flawlessly.
We were away for the weekend, came back today, and booted it up again for the second time so far.
It loaded fine, but as I started to put he password in for her user account on Windows the screen went black.

Nothing else happened apart from that; the PC was still on and running fine, and even the HDMI port on the TV was hi-lighted solid white in the menu to denote that not only was the cable plugged in, but that it was displaying a picture as it should.

But it wasn’t. The screen was black, and rebooting the PC several times, unplugging and plugging back in the GPU to the motherboard and unplugging and plugging back the HDMI cable at both ends and in different ports did nothing.

So I’m somewhat stuck now. Everything was working fine before so I don’t really know what’s going on or where to start trouble shooting.

As I say, when he PC is on everything is whizzing round as it should be, apart from a black screen.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: I should add that when I say there’s a black screen, my display just says no input as if there’s nothing plugged into the HDMI port. Except the TV recognises something is plugged in and that what is plugged in has power.

I have also tested the GPU in another system and it works fine.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If it's an older Windows system (7, 8.1) and you have put in a new mobo--new means the Windows install was made on a different mobo--then it's not going to work because your special key is good for one and only one pairing of Windows and mobo. If it's Win 10 you can port the OS from one mobo to the other, but Win 10 will only let you run the most recent install. So if you're running the same OS on another PC Windows 10 is going to shut one down.

You could try another monitor. Perhaps the monitor chose this time to die.

You might need new drivers. Windows - X key, click device manager, click monitors, see if something is there. Right click on it and select update drivers (if it is there).

If you've been messing around with a new build double check all connections, including monitor to pc on both ends.

Make sure the screen is plugged in. My dog unplugs my monitor's power all the time. Vacuum cleaning may unplug the monitor. Tugging at a different cable might unplug the monitor.

Test to see if monitor works on the mobo connection (assuming you're using a gpu). Test to see if monitor works on gpu (if you're using the mobo).

Make sure no loose power cord to pc.

Make sure that the RAM is securely seated and that it is seated in the correct slot(s). If you are using A1 B1 and the manual says A2 B2 you're going to have problems.

These are a few things to look for. If you are lucky it is something obvious that you forgot about.

Greg N

Edit: Forgot to add that in my distant past black screens and such were a sign either of a failed psu or failed mobo (fried because of psu). That's not a very hopeful thing to say, but you're having a pretty severe malfunction and those are major systems that can cause stuff like that.

Last edited: