[SOLVED] Piggybacking SATA Y power connectors?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Running Win 7 Pro 64X on a Dell Studio XPS 9100.

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my SSDs, HDDS, amd ODDs that are connected internally. Until I pull out my machine and open it tomorrow (it's in a computer desk and hard to get at) I'm unsure of how many SATA power connectors I have and how many I've used.

Right now I have 2 SSDs, 2 HDDs, and 2 ODDs connected to the PSU. I want to add another SSD.

I'm pretty sure I'm already using at least one SATA power Y connector. Is it safe to piggyback these, meaning plug a Y connector male into another Y connector female? I don't think I'll have to, but I'm curious in case I get stuck.

My PSU is 525 W.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 SSDs, 2 HDDs, and 2 ODDs connected to the PSU. I want to add another SSD. (I'm unsure till I get inside how many power connectors I have total.)

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Open it up and see what you've got.
That's the plan tomorrow a.m.

But adding a Y between a couple of SSD's should not be a problem.
That's what I was hoping to hear. At most I think I must be using one Y connector (I think there are 5 power connectors and I've got 6 drives). So I think just introducing another Y connector will do the trick.

One thing that might be relevant is that at no time will more than 3 of these drives be in use at the same time.

Thanks.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
So it turned out I had enough SATA power connectors so I only had to use another Y. (I didn't have to piggyback a Y.)

All went pretty smooth. Now I've got a Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB boot, a Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB dedicated to Pro Tools active project files, a Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB for Pro Tools archived files, and 2 WD Caviar Black 2 TB HDDs for storage. I moved my two ODDs to a PCIe SATA card.

Only hiccup was that I had to change the boot order settings in the BIOs.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: USAFRet

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS