Question PiHole Setup that Utilizes a VPN so Ads are Blocked at Home and On-The-Go

jscochran

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
I have attempted to set up a PiHole server that I can use on the go multiple times, but I always seem to run into some issue. I have been able to get PiHole to work on a local network, that's easy. In a different instance, I was able to get PiHole to filter ads from traffic on the VPN, but then ads were not being filtered on the local network. I've been using OpenVPN because it's really the only one I know anything about. My new housing is weird. I have physical access to the router/modem combo, but the ISP manages the device settings so I have to call in to edit any settings. My temporary solution was to create another network by plugging another router (192.168.2.0) into the ISP provided unit (192.168.1.0). I have the PiHole connected to 192.168.2.0, and it works fine locally for all my devices connected to the secondary router. This is where I am stuck again, especially since I have two routers in the mix. How would the VPN setup work, or how would I go about getting the VPN to work with this extra layer? I know this is a janky setup, and any recommendations are appreciated.

MrMoore

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
I have attempted to set up a PiHole server that I can use on the go multiple times, but I always seem to run into some issue. I have been able to get PiHole to work on a local network, that's easy. In a different instance, I was able to get PiHole to filter ads from traffic on the VPN, but then ads were not being filtered on the local network. I've been using OpenVPN because it's really the only one I know anything about. My new housing is weird. I have physical access to the router/modem combo, but the ISP manages the device settings so I have to call in to edit any settings. My temporary solution was to create another network by plugging another router (192.168.2.0) into the ISP provided unit (192.168.1.0). I have the PiHole connected to 192.168.2.0, and it works fine locally for all my devices connected to the secondary router. This is where I am stuck again, especially since I have two routers in the mix. How would the VPN setup work, or how would I go about getting the VPN to work with this extra layer? I know this is a janky setup, and any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm not sure I've followed this correctly, but if my understanding is correct it sounds like you need to make the PiHole your DHCP Server and then when VPN'd in no ads will be served.

I run Pi-Hole on my LAN and whenever external from home I use OpenVPN to securely VPN back home. meaning no ads even when on the go..

Hope this helps.

Latest posts