PII 400 - how to connect iPod? Firewire or USB2???

My rig:

I've got a Pentium 2 400. It has two USB ports. I'm running Win 2000
with about 400MB of RAM and 3 80 GB hard drives.

If I buy an iPod, should I opt for a USB 2 card or a Firewire card, in
order to synch with my PC? I take it just using the USB 1.0 port will
be too slow.

Any suggestions?

Eugene Kapel

Eugene Kapel wrote:

> My rig:
>
> I've got a Pentium 2 400. It has two USB ports. I'm running Win 2000
> with about 400MB of RAM and 3 80 GB hard drives.
>
> If I buy an iPod, should I opt for a USB 2 card or a Firewire card, in
> order to synch with my PC? I take it just using the USB 1.0 port will
> be too slow.

Depends on your definition of 'too slow'.

Eugene Kapel <kap@kapelnet.com> said:

> If I buy an iPod, should I opt for a USB 2 card or a Firewire card, in
> order to synch with my PC?

I haven't tried USB2, but I have a Firewire external hard drive and it is
damn fast.

http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?FireWire
http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=usb+2.0

> I take it just using the USB 1.0 port will be too slow.

IMO, yes.
--
Mac Cool