PIII 1.13 and 1.2GHz are here!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yea, I know its old and not a 100% accurate comparison, but the fsb should have some effect...
off topic again...
I'll have to look at some more video encoding benches and such, I know the Celeron doesn't do as well as the Coppermine, but I'm not running a Celeron regardless.
Simple point, 100mhz fsb doesn't make its users losers. Everyone here has the most abrasive damn attitudes...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

G

Here is Intel's release regarding the new processors. They intend 1.2G for desktops, and a 1.26 with 512k cache for servers:
<A HREF="http://channel.intel.com/business/america/index.htm?iid=cic+namo&" target="_new">http://channel.intel.com/business/america/index.htm?iid=cic+namo&</A>
deez

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
In other words, it looks like the one with 512K cache is basically going to be the new .13u Xeon. That doesn't quite jive with Intel's plans to demote the P3 to Celeron status though...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The comparison I made was the Cel850 to the PIII700, both at 100MHz FSB, and the Cely lost because of it's cache. The 66MHz versions suffer even greater defeat on these fast processors. The faster your system is, the more effect bus speed has.

Video killed my Radio Card!

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know the fsb makes more of a difference the faster the processor goes, I'm not some stupid newbie.
However, I will hold to my decision, I will run a 440bx @ 100mhz before I'll use the 820, 840 or Via.
It has to be cheap, powerful, and stable. There are a *few* bx boards out there to choose from for damn near anything I'll need it to do.
I just remembered tho, I think Asus has CUBX133, right?
the chipset isn't actually rated at 133, but the motherboard is I believe...

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

G

Kelledin,
I don't know, might be terminology, but the one iwth 512k cache is listed in the PIII category, don't know if Xeon is part PIII or its own, but looks like it is basically a PIII with extra cache. IF that is what the other Xeon's are, then yes, it is a Xeon.
deez

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's part of where I'm into funky stuff, it has to be stable.
ATI Rage Fury Maxx doesn't like an 89Mhz AGP, does it?
thats boss's card of choice, although it will probably be swapped...
It needs to be damn near stock specs for all the crap we're gonna put in here...
I may go single CPU and 815, or might just go AMD...

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

Yeah. Thats interesting. I wonder if Tom did a similar one with a Radeon.

I noticed at the end he mentions the possible long term uses of 2x @ 133. Anyone know of problems?

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

These CPU's are actually Tualatins. Coppermines will only be made in the 0.18 micron version and will probably top out at 1.1 GHZ(on a 100 MHZ FSB). These 1.13's and 1.2's will not work in BX or i815's(unless you have board with new "B" version of i815, ie. ST6, TUSL2, etc). If you go to pricewatch.com and type in "intel 1.2" in the search field you will find about 6 or 7 places selling the 1.2 GHZ version(they will be located on the 3rd and 4th pages). One of the places even describes it as 0.18-coppermine...I guess we know more about these CPU's than some of the people selling them.

I bought one and received it on Wednesday. This was an OEM version and I'm able to run it up to 167 FSB on an ABIT ST6(that's right around 1.5 GHZ). The default voltage on the CPU was 1.45V but I had to up it to 1.675V to get it totally stable at 1.5 GHZ. I have yet to figure out why these chips are available since Intel(to my knowledge) has not officailly released these yet. I'm thinking that some of the distributors/vendors were tired of sitting on these chips(until Intel decides when to release them) and they said what the heck...we'll go ahead and sell them??

G

>ATI Rage Fury Maxx doesn't like an 89Mhz AGP, does it?

Fury Maxx doesnt like Windows 2000 either as far as I remember. If I recall correctly, there where either no drivers, or only drivers that enable 1 GPU.

SInce you're not gonna run win9x on a dual machine, I think you'll have to swap the Maxx anyway.. (too bad, it was actually a nice performer when it came out..)

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

G

Finally, somebody who bought one here in US! Actually jm, intel does have a little press release or whatever acknowledging these chips, you can read here:
<A HREF="http://channel.intel.com/business/america/index.htm?iid=cic+namo&" target="_new">http://channel.intel.com/business/america/index.htm?iid=cic+namo&</A>
Wow, you got it all the way up to 167FSB? You say OEM, is that 100FSB or 133? What kind of RAM you using? Very interested in duplicating your setup.
deez

btw-where did you purchase yours from? You mentioned OEM, but the ones on pricewatch are all boxed.

G

These chips have a default FSB of 133 MHZ. I got mine from puicorp.com. I would have bought it from one of the other places but I didn't notice all of the listings on pricewatch until after I had already placed the order. The memory I'm using is Mushkin REV 3.

G

I have heard that pushing it to 167 FSB will not work because of stress on PCI devices or something, is that true? Were you just testing it at that speed or are you permanently leaving it like that? I am new to overclocking, this will be my first project, and do not undertsand this PCI tolerance and divider stuff.
And yes I am reading and searching about it.
deez

G

For a CPU to run at 133 MHZ, the motherboard uses a PCI divider because the PCI cards(modems, sound cards, NIC, etc)can not tolerate a 133 MHZ bus speed. For a 133 MHZ CPU, most(hopefully all) motherboards use a 1/4 divider so this puts the PCI devices back to their default specification of 33 MHZ(133 MHZ/4). When you are at 167 FSB, your PCI components will actually be running at almost 42 MHZ. This is certainly over the specifications but some components can handle this. It's a little bit of luck-of-the-draw. The HD I'm using is an IBM 75GXP series(60GXP series can probably handle this as well). The sound card is a creative PCI 128, the network card is 3Com 3C905-TX(I believe), and modem is US Robotics 2974(OEM). And yes, all these components are running OK in my system and I plan on leaving it at these settings for everyday use. The CPU cooler is another important component. I would recommend the Millenium Glaciator. You can go to www.overclockers.com to get the link on where to buy it.

G

jmsandrsn,
one last question, and I think I am ready to purchase. Everywhere it says that the glaciator is for socket A, might not work with all FC-PGA's. Obviously it works with your Abit ST6, since you are using it. I am planning to purchase the ST6, because I heard the CUSL2-C doesn't offer voltage increasemnts, so I assume TUSL2-C doesn't either. My question is:
Did you have to modify or do anything special to get the glaciator to fit on your board? After searching the internet, it looks like this is the cooler for me! Good cooling, with low noise!
PS, thanks for all your help, it is appreciated. Thanks to you and others on this board, I am almost ready to venture into my first o/c project!
deez

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I read that a few months ago, right after we got Win2k.
His computer is so damn unstable it isn't funny, but he doesn't want to work on it...
but now he wants to upgrade...
weird people suck...

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry if I seemed harsh on the 100MHz FSB. That wasn't my point. My point was that people who are going to spend the money to upgrade their P3-600 on a BX mobo to a 1GHz and not bother buying an 815 mobo so that they can get the 133MHz FSB is just silly. If you're going to upgrade, then <b>upgrade</b>. That was my point. Staying with 100MHz FSB for a reason is cool with me. Staying with it just because you don't want to spend that little extra cash even though you're already forking out a bit, well, that's just silly.

And I could have sworn I saw a banner advertisement on the net for a dualie 815 mobo. Was this product recalled or something? Or was the advertisement just a load of horse manuer?

-Intelicide: The act of marketing overriding engineers to kill a product before it can be released.

G

Was able to fit the Galciator on ST6 without any problems. I would say that the ST6 is better the TUSL2 because I have heard that the TUSL2 will not allow any voltage adjustments to the CPU(if you'reusing a Tualatin...I believe it will allow limited adjustments if using a coppermine). The ST6 will at least allow you to adjust the votage up by 0.125V The CUSL2 will only support coppermines.