PIII 1.13 and 1.2GHz are here!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
.13 micron PIII's are now available in the U.S. These are not the Tualatins, but rather the old Coppermines on the new .13 micron process. While Tualatins with 512kb L2 cache have been available in Japan for some weeks now, the Coppermines at 1.13 and 1.2GHz mark a less significant but still important advance in the U.S. market. An important feature is that these WILL run on your older (Bx/810/815, etc) motherboards. Check <A HREF="http://www.dallasmemory.com" target="_new">http://www.dallasmemory.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.enpc.com" target="_new">http://www.enpc.com</A> for avaialability.

In other news today, the TUSL2 and TUSL2-C are now available from several <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com</A> venders. Type TUSL2 in the search box.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

Thank you Crash, will pass that on. Anyway, about video.... DVD stuffed that!

:cool: Go stick that in ya pipe and smoke it!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd be careful about these. They look proper, but they're still not on Intel's product page (that I could find). Could be samples that they're selling off or something.

Just a thought.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
On the enpc.com site they have: "Intel Pentium® III 1000E (1Ghz) 256K cache, 100MHz bus FCPGA" Is this a misprint or a new chip...(I thought the 1GHz had 133MHz FSB)?

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
[ROFL]

It's funny that so many people from countries other than the USA b_tch and moan about how they have to wait so long for products to come out and how they're priced so much higher than they are in America.

Yet America has the same problems too!

So nutz to you whiners from Europe or where ever you are, because you're not the only ones with problems.

<b><font color=orange>HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!</font color=orange></b>

Hey, does anyone know how to get rid of sanity? I seem to have aquired some and I can't seem to shake it loose.

-Intelicide: The act of marketing overriding engineers to kill a product before it can be released.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I think that's correct. I seem to remember reading something about Intel continuing support for the 100MHz FSB pieces of drek because so many losers had old mobos and refused to buy a new mobo to go with the new uber-priced chip that they want to upgrade to. Intel, not wanting to lose any market share, figured that they'd cater to these losers and give then 1GHz CPUs with 100MHz FSBs.

Good gods, why would anyone want a 1GHz CPU limited by a 100MHz FSB?! Is the extra hundred to one-fifty bucks for a new mobo and RAM really so hard to pay when you're going for a top-line P3 system anyway?

<b><font color=orange>ARGH!</font color=orange></b>

Sorry. It's this darn sanity making me say these things. Usually I'm off in my own little world and completely ambivalent towards this kind of stuff. I NEED VODKA!

-Intelicide: The act of marketing overriding engineers to kill a product before it can be released.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I was wondering it the P3 700E can be overclocked to 920+ would it be possible that the P3 1000E could be overclocked to 1333 (or is that just wishful thinking).

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It would be different for us losers if Intel had a decent multiprocessor system for workstations that ran on 133mhz bus.
ok, you have either Via or the 820...
bulls***...
440 all the way.
and yes, it can be overclocked, and no I won't overclock it in a work environment.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why would you use a P3 in a multi-processor work station when you could use a Xeon with it's Uber-cache instead?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's actually a really good question.

I suppose the answer lays entirely in what core Intel used for the P3-1000E. If they used their fancy new P3 cores that just came out, then you probably could overclock it. However, if it uses the old P3 core (where Intel couldn't even push it to 1.13GHz with any reasonable success) then I highly doubt it could reach 1.333GHz.

Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone have an answer with something to back it up at least a little bit?

And why don't PCs have an "Any Key"? There's still some room left on the keyboard and I can always use another key to map things to in games...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but companies buying dual-CPU workstations don't usually give a flaming fig about price. In fact, they usually don't trust anything that costs less than some insanely high amount.

Granted, this isn't true of all companies, because some companies are small and actually know what a budget is for.

However it does apply to most companies that would bother buying a dual-CPU workstation.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, it doesn't apply to most companies I work for or consult for.
$$ doesn't fall off of trees, and I don't like the 820 or Via chipsets.
that does narrow it down.
440 or the 815 board that I haven't heard anything else about.
We need some processing power, without Xeon. I'm not overly impressed with Xeon, most of the higher speed ones are identical to the coppermine, simply cost more.
I am not buying one, and as far as my customers are concerned, they're not getting one either.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Very true, but we're not talking about just companies, either. I was thinking about Dual P3, but went to Athlon instead because of the lack of dual-processor support in many programs.
Down the road I just might go dual :)

-----------------

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The 820 and 840 chipsets weren't bad, so long as you stuck with PC800 RDRAM. Which, again, generally performs better than PC133 SDRAM anyway, so is good for a workstation. Yes, a little more expensive, but to me, worth it.

I've heard mention of 815 dual mobos, but I have yet to see one in action.

Either way though, there are 133MHz FSB solutions for Intel dual CPU motherboards.

As for the Xeons, they are pretty much just a P3 with a cache on steroids, as far as I can tell. For workstations though, that's plenty, at least if you get the ones with the large cache. They cost more, but I haven't heard anyone complain about their performance being that of a mere P3 yet.

As far as companies are concerned, in a lot of cases <font color=green>$$</font color=green> does fall off of the trees, and lands right into their greedy little pockets. If it's not scamming some investors, it's getting a government grant for this or that reason.

Frankly, it makes me sick how much money companies get for free from the government or from private investors, while the homeless still can't even get five bucks for a meal from McDonalds.

But hey, that's capitalism. I guess if I don't like it, I should just move somewhere else or shut up, eh? :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've been looking to go dualie for my home PC for a while now. Mostly it's so that I can do something silly like play a video game while my wife is watching a DVD off of my PC. Or so I can compile code, surf the internet, play MP3s, and bot on a MUD or two, all without noticing any performance loss.

It's silly, I know. I hardly need a dual CPU system. I want one though.

I was hopeful of AMD, but their dual CPU systems so far have been, well, a bit of a letdown. So currently I'm waiting on the ClawHammer and the Northwood, to see how they do both single and dualie. I can wait.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First-Intel introduced the 1000EB as a high performance processor running 7.5x133.3. Later they released the 1000E at 10x100 and the 900E at 9x100 for the upgrade market.
Now, the PIII 700E will go to 933 over 98% of the time with MINOR voltage increases. Most will do around 980 before they start to require huge voltage changes and moster cooling.
The 750E will go to 1000 about 50-60% of the time with MODERATE voltage increases.
The 800E will go to 1066 about 30% or less of the time with SUBSTANTIAL voltage increases.
The 850E will go to 1133 less than 15% of the time, with HUGE voltage increases and MONSTER cooling.
The 900E will go to 1200 less than 5% of the time, with HUGE voltage increases and MONSTER cooling.
The 1000E at 1333? NEVER, not even at 2 volts with a Peltier.
These new .13 micron Coppermines can go faster by use of the smaller production process, and should go to 1400 or more.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They are selling both OEM and Retail Boxed procesors, the fact that Retail Boxed units are available leads me to believe this was another one of Intel's "quiet" releases.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, very possible (especially because of the way reviews have been). I'm just giving people something to think about.

-----------------

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
considering how I'm building a system that has absolutely as much power per dollar, I'm not going RDRAM.
also, I've worked on far to many machines that can't be upgraded to build something with limited sales like an 820/840.
SDRAM will die, but it is extremely far spread, and it is probably the most popular/long lasting memory type thus far.
Also, for our applications, I don't think RDRAM or the extra cache of a Xeon will help much, if at all.
Anyway, the only point I was making, you're being harsh as hell over an extra 33mhz fsb. 1ghz is 1ghz in most apps, especially those we use.
There is no noticeable difference between Celeron 466s and PIII 450s in most of our apps.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your talking old news on the old Celeron with on-die cache vs. the old PIII with of die cache. The Celeron is such a poor performer the PIII 700 beats the Celeron 850 in 3DMark 2000. I did the test myself on the same system and posted the results MONTHS ago. And 3DMark 2000 is a PERFECT benchmark for most of us, as GAMING is the only place most of us need a fast system!

G

Here's a signature for you:

Today was like one of those fly dreams
Didn't even see a berry flashin those high beams
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the <font color=blue>Fatburger</font color=blue>

jk
Ice Cube