PIII CPU's voltage??

Talos

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
Greetings everyone! I'm planning of upgrading my old PIII-450Mhz with a PIII processor at 866Mhz or 933Mhz (No less than 800 Mhz can be found here). The problem is that i have this slot1 M/B: Gigabyte GA-BX2000 based on the 440BX chipset (of course i'm gonna need a slotcket). The M/B supports 133Mhz FSB (my Graphic card tolerates 89Mhz AGP bus). Moreover the site of gigabyte claims that by updating the BIOS of the m/b it can support all copermines up to 1Ghz. My question is, what about all these voltage settings. Do the PIII at 450 and PIII at 933 need different voltage? This m/b abjust the voltage automatically to the one supported by the processor. I've been told that my m/b won't recognize at all the processor and that i'm gonna get some registry errors etc. So what is the truth with all these voltage settings? Can anyone of you outthere give me some help with this issue.Should i go for it and update?

Here is what I've been able to find.
If you have the 2000, you need revision 1.1 or higher to run coppermine processors. but you must update the bios.
If you have the 2000+ you can run coppermine processors,but you may have to update the bios to recognize the newer stepping cpus.
Power to the processor is automatically set by the moherboard. Although many motherboards detect standard voltage settings, then give you the option to raise or lower this setting.

I aint signing nothing!!!