mason4

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2001
I have a PIII 450 MHZ computer, I am looking a upgrading the motherboard and CPU to 1GHZ.and was interested in the athlon but was told it has problems and it might not work with my case and power supply.Should I stay with Intel PIII? I have herd the athlon is faster then the PIII.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mason4 on 01/26/01 02:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

It really depends on whether you want to buy a complete set of compatible hardware (starting with a motherboard) to accomodate an AMD system, or if you simply want to go faster easily. If you choose the latter option....

Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for a BIOS upgrade. Get a PIII E series chip for 100MHz FSB (standard BX settings), get an ASUS S370-DL CPU converter card (or other good slotket), and a golden ORB cooling fan (or another decent HS/fan setup), and then choose 600E, 700E, 800E, 850E, or 1000E.

Hint, the price of the 1000E is a phenomenal $400+. I recommend the 700E or 800E with overclocking if your mobo has the option.

And rememmber,
AMD stands for Another Meltdown Disaster (toast-wise)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get the retail boxed processor, as it carries a three-year warrantee. It comes with a high quality CPU sooler that should work extrememly well if you don't plan on overclocking. If you do, I suggest the Globalwin FOP32-I, as it is reletively inexpensive and works about 30% better than the Orb. The pricessotr performance of the 700 is about twice that of the 450 because of better design. You can get these processors in the Slot variety if needed, but it is often cheaper to buy the socket version and get a good converter like the slotket previously mentioned.

Suicide is painless...........

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"And rememmber,
AMD stands for Another Meltdown Disaster (toast-wise)"

Have no idea what you are talking about. I have 900 tbird and with 112 mhz bas (total 1008 mhz) sink is barely warm.
By the way, did you ever try Athlon to talk this way about it?
And for the other guy, it is really the matter of preference. I like good stuff but for cheap if possible, so I go with Athlon, dirt cheap, 150 bux gives me 1ghz cpu, dream on for Plll with this price tag... hehe
Yeah, don’t get Asus if you want have no headaches... hehe

its not too late yet... :smile:

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First and foremost what motherboard do you have? this is the most important question of all. It is highly possible that the bios of your board may not support the p3 coppermines at all thus making getting just a new cpu not a possibility. I know there are alot of gateway 450's out there that won't support them is this what you have?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I know you have gotten alot of replies on this topic, but I my self rebuilt my computer for under $200. I'm now using at 750mhz Duron processor. I got a fancy looking case but nothing special with the power supply, just a standatd 250watt power supply. It runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I havn't gotten a lock up yet.. to be honest, when they say you are gonna have power supply problems and heat issues. Ask them to be more specific, I'm sure you will find that they just heard it from soneone else. Durons are more delicate and PIIIs do have MORE tolerance on the heat issue. But if you treat your processor right, You dhould have any isses wither way you go.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, now theres a great price on an OEM motherboard. Too bad we can't get a CUSL2 at that price. You can't do much to overclock an OEM motherboard these days. But the good news is that, by saving about $100 on the motherboard with similar (maybe identical) performance (but not overclockable), he could actually buy a 933 instead of a 700 and still save money!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
True overclocking aside however that is a great price. I am wondering who actually made it for gateway, I know msi has made alot of there boards for them... if this was the case you could flash back to the MSI bios......I am going to take a shot at it.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL well if you had your email listed then you would be the only one that new.....btw try running a search on ebay user id oldmarbs......

G

When you consider that you can pick up a case and power supply suitable for use with the Athlon for around $50.00, what's the problem? You're still gonna come out cheaper than a PIII upgrade.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, there's one more post for you, Gris!
Let me guesse, you going to come back with something stupid, like "yeh, and there's another one for you" just to keep your post count going!