PileDriver > Ivy bridge?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I really don't know if the Piledriver 8000 will have hyper threading.

I focus on the here and now and afaik that excludes the Piledriver 8000.

My gut feeling is that PD is not even worth anticipating, so that gives me even less reason to spend my time reading speculation about it.

If it gets here and I hear good things about it, then I will care about what PD can and can't do.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

Very well put... But, please know that a ton of cpu's can overclock like heck with stock voltages while on the stock heatsink creating almost no issues nor differences then stocked clocked. So that means, if you buy the cheaper cpu you can put the money elsewhere while still receiving the same performance as the more expensive parent.

Go back and read what Blange wrote.

Yup slits the devides, the problem that I got with PD is that it feels much like a discard. What I have heard about steam roller is that it employs different module architecture and superior front side, this again leads me to feel like it is a discard a last horah perse. It makes more sense to a end user depending on budget and platform. As to production and professional based systems, if BD was already good, PD is better.

Ultimately it is how you look at it. If BD was the chick you really don't get attracted to, the PD is the normal chick you end up marrying but you know a better chick is out there namely Steam Roller. If you don't mind the plunge until mid next year then PD will still be an interesting proposition to carry you over to steamroller.

Why even bother speculating about Steamroller when its still 2 whole generations away?

People should be upgrading every 2nd generation anyway, so anyone looking forward to Steamroller might as well just buy something now.

We don't even know if Steamroller will ever even see the light of day since AMD said its going to quit competing with Intel for PC processors.

Would love piledriver to be a massive success, i traveled to the dark side when i upgraded from my Phenom II (still have him, a beast to behold).

FX left nothing for me, and so i continued my journey into the hands of intel, with oh so sweet sandy.

However, if Piledriver is "amazing" i will be interested.

I am upgrading fairly soon anyhow.

I wouldn't count on it being AMAZING if it has the performance AMD is claiming it will put it on the level of the first generation I3, I5, and I7's. That will still be behind Intel by a good bit.

AMD has been pulling up the rear for almost the whole last 10 years, so I don't know why anyone would expect them to surge ahead now. Especially since they said they are getting out of the desktop processor business.

Yeah you are so out of the loop but anyways I may as well tell you that;

1] Steamroller is due Q2 2013 and it is definitely happening.

2] Official from AMD themselves that after Excavator in 2014 they have further roadmaps due, basically AMD is not stopping their CPU production anything otherwise and this again from AMD is speculation to which they don't respond to.

3] Its funny how SB, IB and soon to be haswell on the DT are conceived from notebooks, put into DT trim, now who is serious about DT processors?

Maybe you should stop looking at AMD in negative light, they did things clean and with a lot less cash, when you look at what you get with AMD products, you can at least say they are not skimping on you.

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

This is exactly right. Raiddin, I think you misunderstood AMD when they said they would stop competing in the extreme desktop performance race. They in no way meant that are stopping production of desktop parts.

Not true, all desktop features and technologies are actually server technologies from previous generatinos that have trickled down to desktop parts. Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell (and all future microarchitecures) are designed for servers first, then notebook power saving technologies are applied to the notebook and ULV SKUs. The desktop SKUs are the easiest because they can just pick features from server and implement them in the consumer space without having to worry about power contraints in notebooks. The new ULV push isn't at the expense of desktop, it's in addition. The reason you don't see huge performance gains on desktop is because Sandy Brdige was already such an efficient architecture, and Intel couldn't just add more cores to the platform like they can in servers.

BD was such a lackluster implementation (of a theoretically excellent microarchitecture) that AMD has a lot of headroom for improvement. That's why PD shows so much performance gain compared to BD.

don250r

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
oh how i love the amd vs intel debate!

$$$

volkswagen vs ferrari

if you cant afford the ferrari, dont expect the volkswagen to keep up!

Except the comparison is more Ferrari vs Konigsegg. One has a reputation for long standing sports car design, reputation and produce line to match (intel), the other is more limited, good at enough things not so in others but remains a novalty (AMD)

don250r

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

+1!! :sol: