[SOLVED] Ping but Can't Browse!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtistoms

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hi all,

I have a very frustrating issue: I can successfully "ping" website names from the command line, but all of my internet browsers say "page cannot be displayed" or "Server not found."

Machine:
Win7 x64
Dell Inspiron 15

I have tried everything I can think of:

1. Basics: WiFi switch, network cables.
  2. Repair Adapter.
  3. Reinstall Drivers.
  4. Boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking.
  5. Virus/Malware/Rootkit/Adware Scans.
  6. Ran Norton Removal Tool (even though I didn't have Norton).
  7. ipconfig /release /renew.
  8. Flush DNS.
  9. netsh winsock reset.
  10. No proxies set -> all default obtain automatically.
  11. Uninstall all 3rd Party Firewalls/Antivirus, turn off Windows Firewall.
  12. Check hosts.ini has 127.0.0.1 localhost.

I think it must be a Windows setting since it still happens in Safe Mode with Networking, but that's just my hunch.

I'm really stuck on this one and would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Same problem here!

Solved!

My problem was Avast bloking internet access, after disabling internte active protection, it worked again...

Using MSE now!!

Almost two days around this problem!
Ohh God!!

Thx for this post

machric

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Didn't even get to try the suggestions here. I had already done Malware bytes in safe mode with updated rules. Could ping, but not browse like everyone else. As I was reading here I restarted Norton Security Suite.

Everything works now.

Awesome China

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

thanks,your method solved my problems. great thanks

davidtriune

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
I had this problem of ping but no internet, and solved it by changing my wireless LAN device. It was a USB wireless LAN connector, and I changed it to another USB wireless LAN connector, and it worked. So sometimes the problem could be your wireless device.

Beytan

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Okay, I have had many isuues with DNS failure to connect in Windows7 and having constantly needing to reset V4 adapter setting to automatically detect as the host gets changed by the provider somehow?

SUCCESS... Bridge the wireless to your LAN and this will stabilise the connection

Zedy Aroche

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Here is the solution that worked on my Windows 7 Home Premium edition:

To open a command prompt, click Start and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.
Under Programs, right-click the CMD.exe icon, and then click Run as administrator.
When the User Account Control box appears, click Yes.
At the command prompt, enter the following command, and then press Enter:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note If you don't want to specify a directory path for the log file, run the following command instead:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Restart the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

limrasystem

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

AltaiXII

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
I had this issue, I couldn't load a few certain sites but could ping them, using chrome (though IE didn't work either). The solution for me was to go in to internet options>connections>LAN settings and make sure NO BOXES are checked, after that it wall worked.

jvarda

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015

Thank you edsec. Your solution of resetting winsock and tcp/ip worked for me.

Deepak_29

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

MajrTom

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

Worked for me!!

Roshan Konda

Commendable
Mar 6, 2016

Thanks a lot bro,million dollar command,may your dreams come true...

ClintJCL

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I have this same problem, and it's definitely not browser configuration, because rebooting fixes it. Rebooting is disruptive. I don't want to reboot every day after coming home from work. That's ridiculous. I want a fix that doesn't involve rebooting. I'm in the same boat as these folks, except I'm not installing windows and don't want to reboot. Nobody can fix this, it seems.

honzokid

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

Silly me.... I was having this issue with a virtual machine completely overlooking the fact that the anti-virus on the host machine might be the problem.... :/

Not sure how to allow my VM external switch allowed through the avast firewall though so I dont have to disable the anti-virus.

Anyone?

DooganC

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

This was the key that I spent 6 hours searching for today. The key that fixed a 2 year old ongoing problem that raised it's ugly head again today.

Thank you very much.

Shantanu_4

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hi. I was facing this same issue and here is how I resolved it:
Go to msconfig from the run command and then check the box "Hide all microsoft services" under services tab
Then click on disable all, click RESTART.
You should now be able to browse.

Before I did this, I had also reset internet explorer from internet options as well reset google chrome also. Though that had not solved my issue, but I am not sure wjether that is a prerequisite for the issue getting solved.

Hope this helped. None of the other replies worked for me.

Overrider

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue... For me it was Avast which made some troubles... I uninstalled him in safe mode with "revo uninstaller". And I haven't got the problem anymore.

I hope it will help you.

mswas37

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

This also solved my problem with Windows 10. I had a site that was down and throwing 404 / Domain not set up error at one time and after that was up and running on all machines, it was still down on one. Not a firewall, anti-virus or a router issue. Thank you Matthew Brown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.