Ping dropping problem

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Hello, can someone help me, when I am playing lol i get ping drops like from normal 43ms to like 80-160 and going down to 43-45 again and it happens every 1-2 minutes. I use wireless adapter and my friend also plays lol and he has no problem with ping, so what can be the problem? In my opinion its something wrong with DNS or then I am playing the game changes different server ip adresses and i get lag from that. Can someone help me with this problem?

Solution
I posted this in a very similar thread yesterday. Copy the instructions and post the findings back.

Hi,

High ping can be frustrating. It is most likely either a problem with the game servers, a problem within the local network or an ISP problem.

Open two command prompts in the first type ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (being the IP of your router.)
in the second type ping -t 8.8.8.8

Those pings will keep running. Whilst they are running play a game or two. When the ping starts to jump up have a look at the command prompts. If the response times are increased in the first command prompt where we are pinging your router there is an issue within your network.

If the first pings are not effected but the pings to 8.8.8.8 are then it is an ISP...

Sywtch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
League of Legends does not change server addresses mid-match as far as i am aware.

Does your friend have issues when using your internet connection? Who is your ISP? What speed package do you have? Where are you located (you can be general, US state or something)? Also, this is a common issue on the League of Legends message boards, i would look there for advice beyond checking your network connections. I can tell you that the wireless should not be affecting it, as I play league via wireless all the time and have a solid 50ms ping.

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Are you getting ping drops from any other sites? Have you tried to reset your router? Since your using wireless, have you tried using a wire and disable the wireless card and have you notice any difference?

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I posted this in a very similar thread yesterday. Copy the instructions and post the findings back.

Hi,

High ping can be frustrating. It is most likely either a problem with the game servers, a problem within the local network or an ISP problem.

Open two command prompts in the first type ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (being the IP of your router.)
in the second type ping -t 8.8.8.8

Those pings will keep running. Whilst they are running play a game or two. When the ping starts to jump up have a look at the command prompts. If the response times are increased in the first command prompt where we are pinging your router there is an issue within your network.

If the first pings are not effected but the pings to 8.8.8.8 are then it is an ISP problem and you will need to speak to your service provider about it. If neither pings are affected then it seems to be the game servers that are the issue and there is unlikely much that can be done. If it is the first option we can do some networking.

I am interested to see the results.

Solution

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I am a student and live with a lot of other students. The router is on the wall and nobody touches it my roomate has no problems with the ping so this is not router problem. In the past i had a problem with public wi fi becouse my dns settings was wrong so the local wi-fi s like caffes, bars didnt worked. Now it's working and my ping is fine but it drops for some reason and then recovers again to normal 43-45. I dont see a lot other people having. other people having just simple stable ping spikes like it always stays bigger mine its different it raises and comes back. The method you mentioned about tiping some numbers and trying it in the game if theres some video how to do it? becouse english is not my main language and i live in Lithuania, so can you explai more specific how to do it, how the command is called?

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

this shouldn't be you router's ip (158.129.239.254) this looks more like a public IP address than the one from your router

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I am living in a 16 floor house full of students and same internet is in all of the flores, but every flat has their router and my router ip is one of these: IPv4 DNS Servers 158.129.192.19 or 83.171.22.22

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

the default gateway in the ipconfig should be your router's ip address

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
i typed my deafault gateway ip adress and it was like this normal 1ms2ms1ms1ms1ms1ms1ms timed out 30ms1ms64ms1ms2ms30ms1ms2ms3ms1ms1ms2ms2ms2ms1ms3ms5ms1ms and after some time again 30ms60ms and one of the DNS ip adress its similar just more frequently and biger ms like 1ms1ms2ms1ms2ms1ms80ms1ms2ms1ms2ms1ms1ms2ms400ms

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I dont have an antivirus and i turned off the firewall but its the same ms drops after some time sometimes its like 17 ms sometimes its like 94ms and then i type 8.8.8.8 it times out and cant reach my router ip adress

Paulius_1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
i didnt tried wired connection but I think the problem is with wi fi setting or something becouse then I was using home network I had no problem everything was fine and DNS was manual, then I started using public network I mean with different security I changed DNS to automatic and installed new drivers and in the game I noticed ping drops

TRENDING THREADS