Question Ping going to 1ms within my game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 11, 2022
Hello
I'm trying to solve this problem playing world of tanks my reticle has became jumpy and inconsistent. I've tried to remedy this myself but can't find the cure. I don't have this issue in other games like Apex legends, Warzone so on.

The first thing is my ping goes from 40 down to 1ms, now I live in Scotland so can't see how that's possible when all the servers are outside the Uk.

I've spoke to world of tanks and they say it could a hardware or network issue. Game is also running in Admin mode.

Things I've tried so far

1. Changed ISP from Virgin Media Cable to CityFiber FTTH Very stable and consistent ISP, 900up and Down connection.
  2. Replaced all ethernet cables (Tested new cat6 then cat8 no change) both 10m cable.
  3. Formatted PC and made a windows image so I can test different settings
  4. Bios updated, all drivers from the manufacturers installed. Even tried without anything else installed this never worked.
  5. Removed power saving from ethernet and windows.
  6. Changed Ethernet from my onboard Intel ethernet to a Realtek ethernet still no change.
  7. Tried running the game in administrator mode and disabled full-screen optimization and High DPI scaling override No change
  8. Tried running the system on basic graphics to see if it was an input lag issue. No change
  9. Made sure my memory timing is correct and no overclocks on the GPU or CPU.
  10. Changed Mouse DPI and Polling rate from 1000 to 500. No change. Removed windows Enhanced pointer precision. No change.
  11. Change power plan to high performance
  12. Installed Intel proset drivers to check, I got this error (Already replaced my ethernet with a new one, nothing changed, also change duplex to auto)
  13. Removed all wireless equipment i.e keyboard, mouse and headset with wired still no change. (Device clean up was used)
  14. Tested Wifi 2.5 and 5.0 Does the same ingame.
  15. Changed mouse settings from 4.50 dpi and 1000 polling rate to 800dpi did clean up the aim lag abit but still lags here and there.
Cable Quality Status : Failed
Cable quality is poor or no cable is connected. Possible causes: Faulty cable, faulty connector, or a speed/duplex mismatch. Verify that the speed/duplex setting on the switch/hub is configured for auto-negotiation.
Cable Integrity Status : Failed
The test detected a bad connection. Distance to problem: 225 meters.

I also had this issue with Virgin media but this is a brandnew install of FTTH and the default router Icotera i4850.

My system
Psu - Super Flower Leadex Titanium 850W
Gpu Msi Rtx 2070 Super
Intel Core i9-10900K Speed Binned 5.0GHz
Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming
Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB - DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual kit
Mouse logitech lightweight mouse
Headset logitech G733 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard logitech G910
Monitor ViewSonic Elite XG270 240hz

Thinkbroadband monitor
Connection.png

Ping plotter test to check for packet loss
ping-plotter.png

Example of ping 1ms

Example of Aim lag

Last edited:
Everything you have posted again shows you have no network issues at all. Everything is running very well and a lot of it like the wifi setting don't matter since you are using ethernet.

Just because the game says you have a network issue does not make it true. It is much more likely the game has some issue with your machine. Since other games do not have issues this means it is no something simple like hardware issues.

From in the middle of this thread you said if you change the FPS setting in the game it stops doing this. This makes it more likely it is some issue with the game and its interface with the video drivers. Since different games have many different video settings it might be just one setting causing the issue.

Sep 11, 2022
Everything you have posted again shows you have no network issues at all. Everything is running very well and a lot of it like the wifi setting don't matter since you are using ethernet.

Just because the game says you have a network issue does not make it true. It is much more likely the game has some issue with your machine. Since other games do not have issues this means it is no something simple like hardware issues.

From in the middle of this thread you said if you change the FPS setting in the game it stops doing this. This makes it more likely it is some issue with the game and its interface with the video drivers. Since different games have many different video settings it might be just one setting causing the issue.

Yes I agree, strange thing is I've just tested it on my sons ryzen system and it does the samething. So that's now 3 pcs it's been tested on and the ping is jumping to one. The reason I added my settings was because they said it could be a router or firewall issue.

Capture.png

I'm using windows defender and windows firewall and added them to the exclusion list on the firewall and anti virus with don't scan this file. Added this for the game and launcher. I have zero clue about the router settings but did port forward world of tanks. Only thing the 3 pcs have in common is the modem/router. Confused.com lol. Well thanks anyways.

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
Is this your router?

Asus GT-AC2900

What caught my attention is that you "MY IP REMOVED" the IP addresses shown for Hop 2 in Traceroute (Post #20).

However, those HOP 2 addresses are shown in PingPlotter Free as HOP 3.

As I understand the tracert(s) in Post # 20 Hop 1 (your router) was originally 192.168.7.1.

Then you added the Asus router.

Per Ping Plotter Free the Asus Router is now your main router (192.168. 50.1) and that is the router that should be providing DHCP IP addresses to network devices. And/or managing any Static IP addresses.

[Note: 192.168.50.1 being a default IP for the Asus router.]

Connections now being (line diagram) with ----> representing an Ethernet cable:

ISP == (Coax, DSL, fiber) ==> Device 192.168.7.1 ----> [WAN Port] Asus GT-AC2900 router [LAN Ports] ----> wired network devices and ~~wireless ~> wireless devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

So my question is what is that 192.168.7.1 device now being shown as Hop 2? Post #14 shows the device as originally being the Default Gateway. My thought is some modem/router. ISP provided? Make and model? Who has admin rights to that device?

Have all network devices been reconfigured to use the Asus Router (192.168.50.1) as the Default Gateway? Verify that all network devices are correctly configured and using DHCP IP addresses within the the DHCP IP address range allowed to the Asus router. Check subnet masks as well. Ensure that any static IPs are correctly configured and reserved.

The router should provide some listing showing connected network devices, IP addresses, and MAC's. The "arp -a" command via the Command Prompt may help reconcile everything.

If Device 192.168.7.1 is indeed a modem/router has its' DHCP IP functions been disabled?

Also FYI:

Public vs Private IP
I think you are working the tracert backwards. The 192.168.7.1 is the private side of the router, then the first hop is the public IPV4 (wan side of router) address that the op removed for privacy and replaced with "My IP Removed" and then the corresponding hops are the additional router IP hops leading to the dns assigned ip for world of tanks.

Sep 11, 2022
Hmm I did have it on private under network profile. I've changed it over to public now. when I type what's my IP in google it shows me the same IP that's in hop 2. I'll add another ping plotter image. I'm no longer using the Asus router only the default router that was installed from fibercast.

https://i.postimg.cc/dVjh0sXB/mm.png

Needed to add a link as it wouldn't allow me to show the image.

So is this wrong?? And if so how do I fix it lol

Ralston18

Titan
Could well be mixed up/backwards on this end - been known to happen. :)

ISP === fiber cable ===> modem --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port]Router [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Wired network devices and ~~~ Wireless ~~~> to wireless devices.

Edit and correct/update my line diagram as necessary.

If there is/was a second router ( be it Asus and/or Fibercast ) in the line diagram then their respective IP's should match what is shown by tracert (and redacted) and pingplotter (not redacted per the images in Post #20 for the relevant hops.

@Deltafox2022

If you have another image to post do so via imgur (www.imgur.com)

No problem with redacting the Public IP address.

As posted above there are no network issues. (Reference Post #26, @bill001g)

Terminology may be getting in the way.

https://britishesports.org/general-esports-info/ping-latency-and-lag-what-you-need-to-know/

The next step is to perhaps restate the problem - if you still believe that there is a problem.

Sep 11, 2022
ISP Fibercast === fiber cable ===> Fiberbox attached to wall --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port]Router--- [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Wired network devices and ~~~ Wireless ~~~> to wireless devices.

looking like my network is in top shape so this must be driver or windows related. 3 machines same issue so doesn't look like I'll find a fix. End of the day least my pings not over 100 so I should think myself lucky. Thanks anyways

Your problem is things like firewalls and other software might delay or drop the data they won't magically make it 1ms. That has to be wrong data since it is not possible.

Your other testing data shows the latency to the server locations to be about 20-30ms. So the first problem is why is game telling you it is 1ms. It can't actually be 1ms, it would mean they had a magic way to send data faster than the speed of light, so the game has a bug of some kind.

It is hard to say if this is a separate issue or it is the actual cause of your performance issues in the game. Problem is no game company provides any public access to their software so it is impossible to tell what any messages really mean.

Maybe contact the game company but don't complain about the performance, just ask them how it can possibly be 1ms since that is faster than the speed of light.

Sep 11, 2022
It is strange that my ping in apex legends lobby will says it 15-16 London and when I get in the game its more like 40-50. Same as world of tanks tbh. When moving from Virgin media to Fibercast I did see a much better ping within pinging the game but never really changed in-game. I noticed that Fibercast uses 8.8.8.8 so I used the command prompt to ping 8.8.8.8 and get (Minimum 13ms, Maximum 13ms, average 13ms) I done the same with 1.1.1.1 and get (Minimum 2ms, Maximum 3ms, average 2ms)

So my question is using the images above for my router is it possible for me to change to 1.1.1.1? Or is this hardwired to my router? If I change my pc Use the following DNS on Ipv4 and add the 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 will it use it? Or am I forced to use the router default dns?

You likely can change the router if you want but it will be much easier to change it in the pc nic settings.

The DNS ping times are just a good testing tool of basic network connectivity. DNS servers are duplicated all over the world and most people tend to have one very close. The 2-3ms on 1.1.1.1 means it likely is in the same data center that your ISP uses to terminate the fiber.

There are 2 reasons this will likely make no difference. First DNS only purpose is to translate a name like "www.tomshardware.com" to a ip address. It is only done once and then the computer keeps that information for a period of time and uses the IP address to open connections with a server. So even if a game used dns,which most don't for the actual world servers, it would only do it 1 time. The second and more important reason is the DNS servers are almost never in the same locations/data centers as game servers. Game companies servers tend to only have a limited locations they host games from. A DNS servers is extremely simple compared to a game server so it is not feasible to place multiple in every mid to large city in the world.

Most games test the speed to the actual world/game server. These can actually be different than the server you log into or authenticate to so even a ping to the main game IP address tends to not always be valid. In many cases you can not directly see the IP of the game server, they give them the internal names like WoW uses "Un’Goro Outpost". You can see the actual servers ip in use in the resource manager network tab.

Although it does not work for many games since they use UDP you can see the actual latency of the actual data in the resource manager network tab. It works for many non game applications like say youtube or even simple web pages.

Sep 11, 2022
Thanks again bill for the detailed explanation, much easier to understand than most posts I've been reading.

Tried making the ip static and changing the dns but unfortunately it's still the same.

1vmZTSv.png

Will give world of tanks another message and see if they can think of anything.

Sep 11, 2022
Ok spoke to Wot staff and I've to provide extra info can I ask if I've done this port forward correctly?

When I tried to apply these settings it said 2 and 4 were overlapping. Would I be correct in thinking leaving wot4 ports open would open the ports for wot2 anyways

I was a tad confused on the Int. Port Is it correct to set this as 5 as the same as my static ip I set.
wiYuS4d.png

wGTZgwi.png

Last edited:
This is where they have to be more clear what they mean by "open". Be nice if game companies did not use the same word for 2 completely different concepts.

You generally use port forwarding when you are running a server, say a minecraft server. In this case the server is run by the game company. So the end that has the server on must have something like port forwarding to make it work.

What you are doing is running as a client. You need no port forwarding to make it work. The remote port is say port 80 you local port..for the client is going to be some random port likely above 65000. This is all a function of standard NAT and just functions.

You should need no ports forwarded and you espeically don't want ports 80, and 443 forwarded since these are constantly attacked. You are not running a web server in your house.

In addition since this game will function on ISP accounts where you do not have a public IP, ie you share it with other users, it is another indicator that you do not need port forwarding. It is impossible to port forward when you share a public IP, the port forward rules would need to be done in the ISP router.

What they should be saying when they say "open" is there should be no firewall rules either in the router or your PC blocking these ports. This is the default configuration.

I would remove all the port forwarding rules, maybe that is causing some strange issue. Generally though stuff like this the game just fails completely or maybe the voice chat function does not work.

Sep 11, 2022
Ok Bill I did think it was strange to have ports wide open to the public when running the game. Seeing port 80 did make me worry. Will pop back tomorrow when I'm back and try windows firewall, adding the program to unblock UDP and TCP rules for them ports.

Sep 11, 2022
Agree bill didn't bother lowering my security as it's only a game, not worth leaving my guard down. Didn't get any further with wargaming but ended up buying norton to up the security and another monitor so I can monitor issues in the future. Doesn't look like this can be fixed until I find the route of the issue. So all I can say is thank you for taking the time to read this post and if anyone ever has an idea what can cause something like this please post away and I'll test it.

Thanks again Bill.