Question Ping going to 1ms within my game

Sep 11, 2022
Hello
I'm trying to solve this problem playing world of tanks my reticle has became jumpy and inconsistent. I've tried to remedy this myself but can't find the cure. I don't have this issue in other games like Apex legends, Warzone so on.

The first thing is my ping goes from 40 down to 1ms, now I live in Scotland so can't see how that's possible when all the servers are outside the Uk.

I've spoke to world of tanks and they say it could a hardware or network issue. Game is also running in Admin mode.

Things I've tried so far

1. Changed ISP from Virgin Media Cable to CityFiber FTTH Very stable and consistent ISP, 900up and Down connection.
  2. Replaced all ethernet cables (Tested new cat6 then cat8 no change) both 10m cable.
  3. Formatted PC and made a windows image so I can test different settings
  4. Bios updated, all drivers from the manufacturers installed. Even tried without anything else installed this never worked.
  5. Removed power saving from ethernet and windows.
  6. Changed Ethernet from my onboard Intel ethernet to a Realtek ethernet still no change.
  7. Tried running the game in administrator mode and disabled full-screen optimization and High DPI scaling override No change
  8. Tried running the system on basic graphics to see if it was an input lag issue. No change
  9. Made sure my memory timing is correct and no overclocks on the GPU or CPU.
  10. Changed Mouse DPI and Polling rate from 1000 to 500. No change. Removed windows Enhanced pointer precision. No change.
  11. Change power plan to high performance
  12. Installed Intel proset drivers to check, I got this error (Already replaced my ethernet with a new one, nothing changed, also change duplex to auto)
  13. Removed all wireless equipment i.e keyboard, mouse and headset with wired still no change. (Device clean up was used)
  14. Tested Wifi 2.5 and 5.0 Does the same ingame.
  15. Changed mouse settings from 4.50 dpi and 1000 polling rate to 800dpi did clean up the aim lag abit but still lags here and there.
Cable Quality Status : Failed
Cable quality is poor or no cable is connected. Possible causes: Faulty cable, faulty connector, or a speed/duplex mismatch. Verify that the speed/duplex setting on the switch/hub is configured for auto-negotiation.
Cable Integrity Status : Failed
The test detected a bad connection. Distance to problem: 225 meters.

I also had this issue with Virgin media but this is a brandnew install of FTTH and the default router Icotera i4850.

My system
Psu - Super Flower Leadex Titanium 850W
Gpu Msi Rtx 2070 Super
Intel Core i9-10900K Speed Binned 5.0GHz
Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming
Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB - DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual kit
Mouse logitech lightweight mouse
Headset logitech G733 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard logitech G910
Monitor ViewSonic Elite XG270 240hz

Thinkbroadband monitor
Connection.png

Ping plotter test to check for packet loss
ping-plotter.png

Example of ping 1ms

Example of Aim lag

Last edited:
Do you see this issue in anything other than games. If you were to leave a constant ping run to say 8.8.8.8 in a background window does it see any issue that happens at the same time the game detects a issue.

You are correct it can't be 1ms ping but you are trusting a game to give you ping times. Games are known to lie about network times but I have never seen one do this, most blame the huge spikes on the network. What happens is the game get stuck say in a video process and when it finally gets around to looking for its network time packet it blames all the extra time on the network even though the data was sitting there waiting to be read. How it would get 1ms I am not so sure. This is one of those things that I have seen people claim to fix network lag issues by changing video settings. The video does not pass over the internet but if there was a bug I guess this could hide it.

A couple things to try that may or may not make any difference. Since you have a asus motherboard there is likely network bloatware unless you uninstalled it or were very careful to not install it to begin with. They used to call it gamerfirst but they maybe packaging cfosspeed now.
Any program that claims to reduce network latency you want to uninstall.

The other thing that is a long shot but costs nothing to try is disable IPv6 support. Maybe the game is IPv6 and your tests are using IPv4.

Sep 11, 2022
Hello Bill

I've spoken to clan members and no one else has this problem, watched streamers on twitch and this issue doesn't exist on the ping indicator. This is my problem I've searched for this issue and I can't find another with it. I've already tested the ipv6 turned off made no difference. I have tested the Asus Z490-G Lan driver Version 1.0.0.14 2020/12/17 - and updated intel Proset driverVersion: 27.6 Date: 8/9/2022.

Like you said the ping indicator might be wrong. I've tested another Ethernet card and it's the same issue. Makes me think it's nothing to do with the internet but something else.

Also checked for cfosspeed in services and task manager with no luck, I don't install the Asus Lan software (Gamefirst) I used to use my the ASUS ROG GT-AC2900 router with my Virgin media hub in modem mode. Was the same issue. Decided when I changed over to Cityfiber/Fibercast that I wouldn't touch their modem/router as it was optimized. This is the reason I'm starting to think it's not an internet issue.

Do I see this issue in other game, The ping does fluctuate in other game but not going down to 1ms. I do see something strange that apex legends say my ping is 14-15ms but when I'm ingame it's more 40-50 but I was thinking it could be because its a large map and they use a small tickrate? Not sure if I'm correct in thinking that way.

I also tested the DPC latency on the pc and it's running good. Did have to enable msi mode on the graphics card but apart from that it was fine. I didn't have this issue with my Ryzen system before I upgraded. My son now has that pc so I'll get him to install the game and see if the issue does the same with him. Will post this later once he is back.

another.png

I Also ran the game with capped fps 237 with GSync and VSync enabled in Nvidea control panel (disabled ingame) to see if a more stable fps could stop it. Was the recommended setting on Blurbusters my monitor, No change unfortunately.

Wargaming do have their own WGCheck software that scans the pc

Will post some of the results from here

EU Server 1
4.png

EU Server 2
5.png

They also test for (Not sure if any of this info can come in handy)
other.png

other2.png

6.png

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Replaced all ethernet cables (Tested new cat6 then cat8 no change) both 10m cable. "

And:

"Cable Quality Status : Failed
Cable quality is poor or no cable is connected. Possible causes: Faulty cable, faulty connector, or a speed/duplex mismatch. Verify that the speed/duplex setting on the switch/hub is configured for auto-negotiation.

Where/source did you get the new cables?

Also wondering about that 225 meter distance. Ethernet cables are limited to 100 meters.

Is there an Ethernet cable running from your location to somewhere else? If so, or in any case from what device to what device: Modem to router, router to router, or some other device connection?

Sep 11, 2022
This:

"Replaced all ethernet cables (Tested new cat6 then cat8 no change) both 10m cable. "

And:

"Cable Quality Status : Failed

Where/source did you get the new cables?

Also wondering about that 225 meter distance. Ethernet cables are limited to 100 meters.

Is there an Ethernet cable running from your location to somewhere else? If so, or in any case from what device to what device: Modem to router, router to router, or some other device connection?

Both bought from amazon 10m ethernet cables. The 225m error has been the same on both ISPs that's why I think it's wrong. At first I thought it was a problem outside with Virgin media but after changing to Cityfiber it gives off the same error code and distance. Pc was formatted in-between. I bought this one and installed it 2 days ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09JN2QYZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ralston18

Titan
Three concerns about the Amazon Cat 8 cables:

1) Cat 8 is probably not applicable for the present use.

Reference:

https://blog.tripplite.com/what-is-cat8-cable

2) The cable is shielded and that requires grounding/earthing for proper installation.

3) The Cat 8 cable may be fake - lots of fake cable being sold online.

Do you have fiber coming into your home?

Something like the following line diagram:

ISP === fiber cable ===> modem --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port]Router [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Wired network devices and ~~~ Wireless ~~~> to wireless devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Update to include device make and model information.

Where along that path is the reported 225 meter problem?

What was used to test and determine that error and distance?

Objective being to see the "big/bigger picture".

Sep 11, 2022
Three concerns about the Amazon Cat 8 cables:

1) Cat 8 is probably not applicable for the present use.

Reference:

https://blog.tripplite.com/what-is-cat8-cable

2) The cable is shielded and that requires grounding/earthing for proper installation.

3) The Cat 8 cable may be fake - lots of fake cable being sold online.

Do you have fiber coming into your home?

Something like the following line diagram:

ISP === fiber cable ===> modem --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port]Router [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Wired network devices and ~~~ Wireless ~~~> to wireless devices.

Update to include device make and model information.

Where along that path is the reported 225 meter problem?

What was used to test and determine that error and distance?

Objective being to see the "big/bigger picture".

I only tested the cat8 as I was getting the same results with the cat6 cable.

ISP Fibercast 900 up and down === Fiber cable ===> modem/router Icotera i4850 --- Ethernet cable --->Intel i225-v

I'll replace the cat8 with my cat6 able incase this causes any issues.

Intel Proset is where the error was but that might not be the problem. Like I said above it gave the same error with 2 Isps, new cables and it was still 255m, So I'm not sure if the software is dependable.

Capture.png

Capture2.png

thumbnail-20220912-200146.jpg

I've even disabled my intel ethernet and installed a realtek ethernet card with the same problems ingame. I can't test this with the proset as its not an intel card.

98.png

99.png

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Looking back at the original reported cable problems and then doing some googling, I came across the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...igabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

From the link:

• Set Speed & Duplex to 1Gbps, 100mbps or 10mpbs and check which of them will work for isolation. Recommended setting is Auto Negotiation. Forcing link can result in a speed-duplex mismatch. This is common when one device is set to forced and its link partner is set as Auto-Negotiate.

Check for speed-duplex mismatches.

= = = =

What device is using the 192.168.7.1 IP address?

Otherwise not sure what else to suggest. However, with the additional information you have provided someone else may spot some error of omission or commission on my part.

This is a hard one because only the game see the problem not any of the tests you have run.

It is not likely a cable issue. Cables do not affect latency. The speed the signal travels in a copper wire is a fixed percentage of the speed of light, it is so small you can't actually measure it without special equipment. If a cable is bad you tend to get data errors/loss. Your tests though do not show any data loss in your first hop.

So what I would do is open a couple cmd windows and leave constant ping run to the 2 sever IP you have been testing to. When the game reports issues see if you see similar issues in these cmd windows. My guess is you will not. You could also run the ping tests from a different machine to confirm it if it is the network or just your single pc being affected.

I am not sure what the latency monitor tool you ran is. I assume that was not running at the same time as the game ?.

You are going to have to get lucky and get a tool running at the same time the game sees issues.

Sep 11, 2022
Like I said it's got me stumped lol. Will run more tests today and update my starting post with thing's I've tried. The problem might be going on in other game but not reporting it back in the same manner.

Today I'll find the wifi 6 antenna I got with the motherboard, I'll check the 2.5 and 5.0 bands to see if there is any change, Test the above changes in the post with the duplex. Will get my son to install world of tanks on his ryzen system. I bought an overclocked bundle deal from overclockers.co.uk and it was configured by 8pack so I can't see it being anything in the bios but the profile is saved so I'll try optimised settings settings today.

I am not sure what the latency monitor tool you ran is. I assume that was not running at the same time as the game ?.

(LatencyMon checks if a system running Windows is suitable for processing real-time audio and other tasks. LatencyMon analyzes the possible causes of buffer underruns by measuring kernel timer latencies and reporting DPC and ISR execution times as well as hard pagefaults)

No it only runs when I do a test its pretty system demanding.

Thanks guys I'll keep you updated and hope someone spots something I'm missing.

192.168.7.1 IP address? This is my router page.

router00.png

One thing I forgot to say was when I'm still in the game the ping stays the same like stuck but as soon as I move the ping starts jumping around again with the 1ms

Last edited:
Finding this is always hard because games provide very little diagnostic data. The game hackers will use anything to cheat so they win in PVP type games. One of the very common hacks they use is to manipulate the ping time so the server thinks they are running on higher latency connection and then change it back to get a advantage.

What fixes this type of non network issue varies a lot. Sometime it is purely a bug in the game. Other times people "fix" this by changing video settings or using different versions of the video drivers. I know for a while I had a couple games I had to use vulkan rather than directx but now they work fine on both. I was just getting screen sync issues not things like ping spikes.

Sep 11, 2022
Thanks guys

I've tried running min graphics, Running the game as administrator, Disable Full-screen optimisation, Change High DPI settings, lot's of settings but the ping still jumps to 1ms.

test.png

Sep 11, 2022
Well after doing some more tests tonight I noticed if I cap my fps ingame to 100fps the ping stops jumping down to 1ms. The only problem with this is the reticle becomes very laggy. Tried with G-SYNC disabled but still the same. My normal setup in games is capping the fps to 237 as I have a 240hz monitor, enable G-SYNC and enable V-SYNC in the nvidea control panel. This works with all my other games. I understand world of tanks is an older came but it's like the packets go crazy when running a higher refresh rate monitor. I see plenty of people on twitch and Youtube playing the same with higher fps and no issues.. Just get's stranger ^^

Sep 11, 2022
Another update which makes this even more crazy. My brothers just upgraded to a new intel system with the rtx 3080 card and once he was up and running, I asked him to install world of tanks so I could test if his new system was doing the same. And his does the exact same as mines.. I truly don't understand it, new isp tested on a new PC and his ping also keeps jumping to 1ms lol...

I've just installed a fresh copy of windows 11 and the problem is the same. I'm totally out of ideas.. could this be electrical issues within the house?

Ralston18

Titan
Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both tools but only one tool at a time) on both computers.

First observe while not gaming, playing other games, and then lastly while playing World of Tanks.

The objective is to discover some similarities (or differences) between World of Tanks play and all other apps/games with regards to resources being used, to what extent (%) some resource is being used, and what is using any given resource.

Another tool to use is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Look for some unexpected or unknown app being launched along with World of Tanks. May or may not be directly identifiable per se. Research as necessary.

= = = =

I think that electrical problems would be affecting other home electrical appliances/devices and not just World of Tanks running on any given PC and not other apps being run as well.

And I took a look back and now wondering about the data in Post #3.

The differences in Min, Max, Ave, Last in the last lines for EU1 and EU2. p1 and p2 being Player 1 and Player 2 - correct? However there are differences all along....

Try some "tracert" and "pathping" commands to the listed EUx servers.

Run the commands from both computers via the Command Prompts.

Reference (you can easily find other references):

https://pediaa.com/what-is-the-difference-between-tracert-and-pathping/

Post the results. You should be able to copy and paste with no need to retype the command results.

Sep 11, 2022
I've installed the Process Explorer but didn't see anything jumping out. I'm also running my own router now GTAC2900 which is showing more info. I spoke to world of tanks again and they are saying it could be my firewall or router firewall. I only use windows firewall and defender but disabled both and the problem was still there. Not sure if this could be an issue with setting on the router that's the reason I installed my own router as the Icotera i4850 was very limited in settings.

Eu server 1

traceroute to login.p1.worldoftanks.eu (185.12.240.61), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.7.1 (192.168.7.1) 9.501 ms 9.630 ms 9.743 ms
2 MY IP REMOVED 6.007 ms 6.040 ms 6.079 ms
3 xe-0-0-6.an1.ste-dun.fluency.net.uk (185.240.200.194) 23.355 ms 23.391 ms 23.429 ms
4 xe-0-1-0.an1.bso-dun.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.58) 17.392 ms 17.434 ms 17.469 ms
5 xe-0-0-46.an2.bso-dun.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.38) 6.803 ms 6.910 ms 9.477 ms
6 xe-1-0-0.cr1.sgl-edi.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.169) 7.808 ms 3.714 ms 3.791 ms
7 ae4.cr1.thn2-lon.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.51) 13.664 ms 12.634 ms 13.597 ms
8 195.66.226.171 (195.66.226.171) 13.424 ms 13.385 ms 13.172 ms
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 185.12.241.3 (185.12.241.3) 25.323 ms 185.12.241.2 (185.12.241.2) 25.649 ms 185.12.241.3 (185.12.241.3) 24.394 ms
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

Eu server 2

traceroute to login.p2.worldoftanks.eu (92.223.24.244), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.7.1 (192.168.7.1) 5.538 ms 5.650 ms 5.762 ms
2 MY IP REMOVED 4.734 ms 4.767 ms 4.805 ms
3 xe-0-0-6.an1.ste-dun.fluency.net.uk (185.240.200.194) 13.849 ms 13.887 ms 13.925 ms
4 xe-0-1-0.an1.bso-dun.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.58) 6.782 ms 6.670 ms 6.747 ms
5 xe-0-0-46.an2.bso-dun.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.38) 6.906 ms 6.944 ms 6.982 ms
6 xe-1-0-0.cr1.sgl-edi.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.169) 6.710 ms 3.671 ms 4.659 ms
7 ae3.cr1.for-gla.fluency.net.uk (192.124.192.153) 5.310 ms 4.253 ms 5.964 ms
8 ae3.cr1.kil-man.fluency.net.uk (192.124.193.7) 8.675 ms 8.709 ms 8.521 ms
9 ae2-112.cr1-man1.ip4.gtt.net (141.136.100.217) 9.497 ms 10.028 ms 10.068 ms
10 ae1.cr3-ams2.ip4.gtt.net (89.149.128.117) 21.246 ms 21.737 ms 24.100 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 92.223.26.1 (92.223.26.1) 29.401 ms 29.448 ms 30.211 ms
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

1.png

2.png

The network tools still say you have no network issues. You latency is excellent and very stable to both the servers you test to.

Note the login server tends not to be the same server the game session runs on although some games it is. Maybe watch the network tab in the resource monitor while your game is running. You should see higher rates of traffic to the IP of the actual server.
If it happens to use TCP for data communication you will also see the latency, and this is a much more accurate representation since it is measure the real data rather than using ping. Most games though use UDP.

The very telling things about your problem is changing the FPS fixing your problem. The video going to your screen does not go over the internet. The actual data send between the server and your machine is the same no matte how you choose to display it.

My guess would be some bug in the nvidia drivers...assuming both machines are using nvidia. I would try newer and older drivers to see if they work differently.

Sep 11, 2022
Thanks Bill.

I've tried everything and nothing fixed it so look like I'll need to live with it until it vanishes.
I really thought it was something on my system until my brother installed it and it done the same... Just another mystery.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to this post. If I ever find a solution I'll pop back with the answer.

Ralston18

Titan
Is this your router?

Asus GT-AC2900

What caught my attention is that you "MY IP REMOVED" the IP addresses shown for Hop 2 in Traceroute (Post #20).

However, those HOP 2 addresses are shown in PingPlotter Free as HOP 3.

As I understand the tracert(s) in Post # 20 Hop 1 (your router) was originally 192.168.7.1.

Then you added the Asus router.

Per Ping Plotter Free the Asus Router is now your main router (192.168. 50.1) and that is the router that should be providing DHCP IP addresses to network devices. And/or managing any Static IP addresses.

[Note: 192.168.50.1 being a default IP for the Asus router.]

Connections now being (line diagram) with ----> representing an Ethernet cable:

ISP == (Coax, DSL, fiber) ==> Device 192.168.7.1 ----> [WAN Port] Asus GT-AC2900 router [LAN Ports] ----> wired network devices and ~~wireless ~> wireless devices.

So my question is what is that 192.168.7.1 device now being shown as Hop 2? Post #14 shows the device as originally being the Default Gateway. My thought is some modem/router. ISP provided? Make and model? Who has admin rights to that device?

Have all network devices been reconfigured to use the Asus Router (192.168.50.1) as the Default Gateway? Verify that all network devices are correctly configured and using DHCP IP addresses within the the DHCP IP address range allowed to the Asus router. Check subnet masks as well. Ensure that any static IPs are correctly configured and reserved.

The router should provide some listing showing connected network devices, IP addresses, and MAC's. The "arp -a" command via the Command Prompt may help reconcile everything.

If Device 192.168.7.1 is indeed a modem/router has its' DHCP IP functions been disabled?

Also FYI:

Public vs Private IP

Sep 11, 2022
I removed the Asus router as I didn't know if it was running double nat. On my old modem from virgin it had modem mode then I'd use the Asus router but on this new modem I'm not sure how this works. I did connect it a small cat6 ethernet cable from the fiber router to the wan port on the asus router then the ethernet to each device. My worry was when I noticed the wifi light was still on the fiber box. So I thought until I get to the bottom of this I'll just run the standard router/modem box from fibercast.

New ping plotter Hop2 is my ip
server-1.png

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.203(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 01 October 2022 17:11:07
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 October 2022 00:35:15
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Only shared what I think is save.

ISP Fibercast === modem/router Icotera i4850 ===> --- Ethernet cable --->Intel i225-v

Sep 11, 2022
The truth is I'm not very good with all these settings and maybe finding the info you require so I've uploaded the Modem/Router (Icotera i4850 ) and Ethernet settings. My my personal info removed.
Maybe someone will see something wrong.

systeminfo.png

LAN2.png

LAN.png

ALG.png

DMZ.png

DDNS.png

NATTYPE.png

UPNP.png

wan.png

WIFI1.png

WIFI2.png

WIFI3.png

WIFI4.png

ethernet1.png

ARP offload Enabled
DMA Coalescing Disabled
Enable PME Enabled
Flow control Disabled
Gigabit Master Slave Mode Auto detect
Interrupt Moderation Enabled
Interrupt Moderation Rate low
Ipv4 Checksum offload Rx & Tx Enabled
Jumbo frames Disabled
Large send offload v2 (IPv4) Enabled
Large send offload v2 (IPv4) Enabled
Locally Administered Address Not present
Log Link state event Enabled
Maximum Number of RSS Queues (4 Queues)
NS offload Enabled
Packet priority & Vlan (Packet priority & Vlan Enabled)
Receive Buffers 1024
Speed and Duplet Auto
TCP Checksum offload (IPv4) RX & tx Enabled)
TCP Checksum offload (IPv6) RX & tx Enabled)
Transmit buffers 1024
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) Rx & Tx enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) Rx & Tx enabled
Wait for link Auto detect
Wake on link settings Forced
Wake on magic packets Enabled
Wake on pattern Match Enabled

Power Managment
Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power Disabled