thepunishers

Reputable
Oct 17, 2018
Hello
I recently built a new PC and I have been facing high ping in certain games since new PC was up and running. Used to get 5 ping on my local server in CSGO and Dota2, now each server has ~+30 ping, and some servers are now unplayable as my ping is now ~100 from usual 60-65. On my old system pings were fine but started facing 100%packet loss issues (maybe the patcher cable/port issue as the system was 3 year old) so I switched the patcher cable and nothing happened. I bought a TP-Link 300Mbps USB Adapter (TL-WN823N) and it had proper ping (60-65). Now my motherboard has Wifi too so I tried connecting using both wired and wireless, but I still face the ping issue. I also changed the port on my router, changed the patcher cable, nothing.

Any advise? I never tweaked anything under network settings on old or new PC.

Router: TP Link Archer A6 v2 firmware v1.1.5 (update to v1.1.7 pending)
Old system:
i3-7100+Hyper H410R
Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 with latest bios
HyperX fury 8GB 2400Mhz x2
GTX 1050 Ti
Antec EAG Pro 750W 80+G
Samsung 860 Evo (Boot SSD) with additional Hard drives
Windows 10 Pro.

New system:
Ryzen 7 5800x+ML360L v2
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8GB 3600Mhz C18 x2
GTX 1050 Ti
Antec EAG Pro 750W 80+G
Samsung 860 Evo (Boot SSD) with additional Hard drives
Windows 10 Pro.

Solution
As bill001g mentioned, check the ping to your local router when wired--if there's ping times of more than 1ms there, it's a local problem. Also, you have to understand that the ping time to any destination is determined by the route that the packet takes. And if an isp changes something and the route changes, your ping time can change dramatically. This is why when people are using a vpn, their ping times can vary and sometimes even improve because the route changes to a better one.
You need to always do your testing on ethernet. Wifi is affected by so many things it makes troubleshooting hard.

I would leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see what you get.

You can also ping your router ip. This should always be less that about 2-3ms maximum.

If you get good ping times to your router you do not have a actual pc network problem.

Too many gamers do not understand ping/latency and how games actually work. It generally makes no difference if someone has say 30-40ms more or less ping than someone else. The games are designed to balances this out so someone who lives close to the server does not get a advantage. Generally if you are within 100ms of other people it will be about the same. So even if everyone was on a 250ms delay it would still work ok. Most games make adjustments for this delays. Now what causes most the problems is if the latency jumps around say 100ms then 200ms then 50ms etc etc. This adjustments the game is making to make the game appear smooth gets confused by the latency changing constantly and you get what people call lag spikes. So key to good game play is more about consistent ping times not so much exactly what the value is.

Reactions: SamirD
As bill001g mentioned, check the ping to your local router when wired--if there's ping times of more than 1ms there, it's a local problem. Also, you have to understand that the ping time to any destination is determined by the route that the packet takes. And if an isp changes something and the route changes, your ping time can change dramatically. This is why when people are using a vpn, their ping times can vary and sometimes even improve because the route changes to a better one.

Solution

thepunishers

Reputable
Oct 17, 2018
You need to always do your testing on ethernet. Wifi is affected by so many things it makes troubleshooting hard.

I would leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see what you get.

You can also ping your router ip. This should always be less that about 2-3ms maximum.

If you get good ping times to your router you do not have a actual pc network problem.

Thank you for your response. I pinged my router when wired and it had a ping of <1ms with TTL=64. However when I pinged 8.8.8.8 I had an average of 5ms with spikes above 10, maximum of 42 and a couple of "request time out". TTL was 118.

In another scenario: My work laptop works flawless over wifi. Speedtest reads constant 50mbps upload/download, I get no frequent drops and no issues. The same server on desktop has 19mbps download and 3mbps upload. Both tests were run simultaneously. My laptop has Realtek RTL8822BE. Could this be a motherboard issue?

Edit: I tried the USB adapter with new build and it works fine, so I am pretty sure this is motherboard issue.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I pinged my router when wired and it had a ping of <1ms with TTL=64. However when I pinged 8.8.8.8 I had an average of 5ms with spikes above 10, maximum of 42 and a couple of "request time out". TTL was 118.

In another scenario: My work laptop works flawless over wifi. Speedtest reads constant 50mbps upload/download, I get no frequent drops and no issues. The same server on desktop has 19mbps download and 3mbps upload. Both tests were run simultaneously. My laptop has Realtek RTL8822BE. Could this be a motherboard issue?

Edit: I tried the USB adapter with new build and it works fine, so I am pretty sure this is motherboard issue.
You've definitely narrowed it down, but the motherboard nic may just not have the right drivers since it works otherwise.

A solid way to test this is to boot up a linux live cd and run the ping to 8.8.8.8 there. If you don't have any issues, then it's solidly a windows issue.