[SOLVED] Ping is 30ms higher on average since ISP Service Call

Ok my ISP is Spectrum.

I use a 5ghz wifi signal to my pc to play games.

My ping in all the games I play was never above 45ms, no matter the game.

I was having some intermittent internet issues caused by the line coming into the house. They came and fixed it and things have worked fine.

But Ive noticed since this happened my ping in all my games is on avg about 30ms higher. Sure this may not seem like a huge issue but the games I play, it kind of is a problem.

Should I call them? Is there anything they can do? or will they just blame the games?

Or would it be on my end?

Last edited:
Solution
Looking at reviews of that router, it seems like it leaves a lot to be desired. I see a lot of threads related to the RAC2V1K that suggest that your problem might not be particularly limited to your own situation.

I certainly can't guarantee that a better router is going to cure your problem, but it certainly isn't going to make it worse.

First though, it would be helpful, if at all possible, if you could connect to the router using an ethernet connection, hard wired using Cat5 or newer cable, to see if this problem with lag and high ping still exists while gaming or if it is ONLY limited to the use of Wi-Fi while gaming.

All other considerations aside, the optimal configuration in this kind of scenario would be to get a wireless...
Yes, I'd probably call them back and say that you'd like the tech back out because the problem is worse. Are you sure you're testing ping to the exact same server as before, at the exact same time of day? Distance to the server and how busy it is could have a changing affect on your ping, as could other factors as well.

Might even try rebooting the modem and router, if you have cable, or just the combination modem/router, if you have DSL. Whatever hardware you have, try rebooting it, to see if that corrects the issue.

Reactions: Jason H.
Yes, I'd probably call them back and say that you'd like the tech back out because the problem is worse. Are you sure you're testing ping to the exact same server as before, at the exact same time of day? Distance to the server and how busy it is could have a changing affect on your ping, as could other factors as well.

Might even try rebooting the modem and router, if you have cable, or just the combination modem/router, if you have DSL. Whatever hardware you have, try rebooting it, to see if that corrects the issue.

Hes sending out a technician because he says it looks like even though we have internet that doesnt just stop working anymore, he still sees some connection issues on his end.

And to top that off the equipment they gave us is not even registered on our account so he could not even access the router on his end. WHAT A MESS!

This is the 3rd service call in 2 weeks you would think theyd figure this stuff out.....

Also, yes its the same game servers nothing has changed in that aspect. I noticed it in rocket league (which is a very server based game) that my usual ping of 33-45 was now 66-75... and this actually does hurt my performance in game. Then I noticed in apex legends my ping went from 39 to 59 .. which is also a very fast paced shooter game where every 10ms of ping counts sometimes.

The weird part is when I use speedtest.net .. my ping is the same as usual. So its only being affected in games

Last edited:
If it is only in games, it could be a router setting. I'd ask that the service technician be made to verify quality of service from your terminal before leaving. If there are specific router settings required to make full use of the service, then they should be able to tell you what those are or configure the settings themselves. Let them sort it out unless they refuse to, and then worry about anything on your end afterwards. They should at least be able to see a normal, functional connection though, so the fact that they can't says there is still a problem that they need to fix.

If it is only in games, it could be a router setting. I'd ask that the service technician be made to verify quality of service from your terminal before leaving. If there are specific router settings required to make full use of the service, then they should be able to tell you what those are or configure the settings themselves. Let them sort it out unless they refuse to, and then worry about anything on your end afterwards. They should at least be able to see a normal, functional connection though, so the fact that they can't says there is still a problem that they need to fix.

Im sort of familiar with all the settings in the router and none of them are any different than before the last service call. They didnt change any router settings.

All he said was is that he sees 3 reasons to send a tech, 1 being hes seeing some connection issues and he used the term "timeout time" ? He said something something 4 timeout time... and that there was an issue with that.

Also the hardware not being registered on our account seems very strange as its the hardware they provided, so that was reason number 2.

And number 3 was to swap out the router to get a new on on our account as he could not even access our current one (however I told him I can access it and to just tell me what to look for but he said he couldnt do that) and then I told him that all the settings are the same as before.

SO... could timeout time be the issue?

Sounds like maybe there is a problem with your modem or router. They might have to replace it if that's the case. Doesn't sound like a line quality issue, but IDK, hard for me to say without being there.

yea weve had the router replaced each time a service guy has came and also 3 times before we had anyone come out. So even if 1 or 2 were defective, I doubt 5 or 6 would be lol.

Blackink

Distinguished
I had a problem with the modem that Comcast provided when I signed up with them. They sent a service tech out to my house and determined the problem was inside my house but not in the coax coming into my house. That was reading OK according to their meter. It took 4 modems after that to correct the problem!

It was all done that day, the tech kept telling me that my hardware/computer was at fault but I knew better as I never had problems with it before.

So....The first modem (initial connection) they brought was bad, then 3 more modems they tried the day they came to repair were bad. Finally on the 5th modem, we were successful.

Sometimes I wonder if they just put defective modems/routers back in the box thinking they were OK when they were at previous service calls only to "pawn" them off on unsuspecting customers.
It's either that or they just might not know what they're doing sometimes....

Each of those replacement units, are generally used. DO you know WHY they have so many "used" units on their trucks? Because somebody else had a problem with it before as well. I've seen a tech pull no less than six units out of the back of his truck before finding one that worked properly, and then threw the six faulty units right back into the back of his truck along with the other piles of crap in there. Yes, it could certainly still be a bad router/modem.

Obviously, I'm not saying that it IS, just that it could be, and if it were me, I'd talk to somebody at the main office or support branch and tell them "look, this is what is going on, we've had the router replaced X number of times and the service technician out several times now. I don't want another used unit. I want a brand new one fresh out of the box because I am tired of messing around with this. I'm paying monthly for this device and since the one I had originally doesn't work, and I'm going to have to continue to pay a monthly fee for this (I assume, if Spectrum is anything like Comcast/Xfinfity, Directv, Qwest DSL, or any of the companies I've had to deal with for clients or myself) then I want a new unit that works and doesn't require a technician to come out every other week to replace it, AND, I want a DEFINITIVE answer to whether there is a line quality issue from the wall of my house back to the central office or backbone OR whether there is no line quality issue at all."

It's not terribly hard for them to determine this if they have a technician with adequate skills perform the necessary testing. It's also probably a good idea to make sure that they've provisioned the modem or router properly. I've seen idiot technicians replace hardware and then not bother to contact the office to have it provisioned so that it shows up as a bona fide device on their network, so that after a phone call and quick provision it worked fine when it should have been handled by the technician.

Blackink

Distinguished
I've seen a tech pull no less than six units out of the back of his truck before finding one that worked properly, and then threw the six faulty units right back into the back of his truck along with the other piles of crap in there. Yes, it could certainly still be a bad router/modem.

So you've been through it also!!! It's no fun when you practically have to fight with them to believe you.
These service techs think they're never wrong!!!
WRONG!

It's not that. If it were up to them, they'd put a new device in every location they have to replace one in. Most techs would want to upgrade you to whatever the most current model is that the company is giving out to new customers anytime they have to come to your house for service, because it means less chance THEY will have to come back and spend more time there, which makes them look bad, however the companies want them as a matter of policy to try and use any spare parts they have available in order to save on costs. It is a bean counter problem, not a technician problem, most of the time. I'm know there are some idiot techs out there, but most of them if they've been in the field a good while are smart enough to have a sense of self preservation.

Blackink

Distinguished
And a good clue on whether the parts are new coming out of the box.....watch to see if they are wrapped in plastic. Most new modems and routers, are wrapped in plastic when first coming out of the box.
That was how I determined the 3 the tech first tried had been used once before, they weren't in sealed plastic. When he finally took one out that had plastic around it, it worked!

Each of those replacement units, are generally used. DO you know WHY they have so many "used" units on their trucks? Because somebody else had a problem with it before as well. I've seen a tech pull no less than six units out of the back of his truck before finding one that worked properly, and then threw the six faulty units right back into the back of his truck along with the other piles of crap in there. Yes, it could certainly still be a bad router/modem.

Obviously, I'm not saying that it IS, just that it could be, and if it were me, I'd talk to somebody at the main office or support branch and tell them "look, this is what is going on, we've had the router replaced X number of times and the service technician out several times now. I don't want another used unit. I want a brand new one fresh out of the box because I am tired of messing around with this. I'm paying monthly for this device and since the one I had originally doesn't work, and I'm going to have to continue to pay a monthly fee for this (I assume, if Spectrum is anything like Comcast/Xfinfity, Directv, Qwest DSL, or any of the companies I've had to deal with for clients or myself) then I want a new unit that works and doesn't require a technician to come out every other week to replace it, AND, I want a DEFINITIVE answer to whether there is a line quality issue from the wall of my house back to the central office or backbone OR whether there is no line quality issue at all."

It's not terribly hard for them to determine this if they have a technician with adequate skills perform the necessary testing. It's also probably a good idea to make sure that they've provisioned the modem or router properly. I've seen idiot technicians replace hardware and then not bother to contact the office to have it provisioned so that it shows up as a bona fide device on their network, so that after a phone call and quick provision it worked fine when it should have been handled by the technician.

Ok so the technician came today. The replacement hardware is brand new out of box.

He removed some old stuff we had connected outside for DVR and such, tested the line coming into the house, replaced both the wifi router and modem (7th time now).

He checked everything again everything was normal on his little machine. He ran a ping test and got 33ms using our wifi to a Cleveland server (which is only about an hour away from me so no surprise there).

My ping is still higher than it was 2 service calls ago. Although we now have stable internet. He says they cant really do much about ping on wifi and I should hardwire. But I cannot hardwire so thats just not an option at this time.

The weirdest part is when I also run speedtest.net , the ping is normal like it always was. but in the 2 games Im playing its legitly about 25-30ms higher than usual.....

is there anything on my end I can do? Yes its on wifi but regardless of it being on wifi the ping is still higher than it was before they came and did things. I dont know if theres any optimizations I can do or anything.

Not really. Could be an issue with your wireless adapter settings. Make sure you have the MOST recent driver installed for the specific wireless adapter you are using.

Is this a laptop or desktop and are you using an integrated wireless adapter or a USB or PCI add in card adapter?

Not really. Could be an issue with your wireless adapter settings. Make sure you have the MOST recent driver installed for the specific wireless adapter you are using.

Is this a laptop or desktop and are you using an integrated wireless adapter or a USB or PCI add in card adapter?

All drivers up to date. Nothing changed settings wise. Only thing changed was them coming and putting a new cable from our wall out to the box 2 service calls ago.

Also this is a desktop with a USB 3.0 adapter. Here is the adapter https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Wi-Fi-Adapter-A6210-100PAS/dp/B00MRVJY1G

How far away is the wireless router from your desktop and how important is it to you to try and reduce the ping while gaming?

What exactly IS your current ping while gaming. You realize that 90% of that is related to the game server, not your connection, right? If the server connection is not good, or THEY have issues with configuration or line quality, or connection type, or too many users online, then you could have a 5ms ping time in general and still have a very poor ping when it comes to that game server.

Have you tried alternative servers?

How far away is the wireless router from your desktop and how important is it to you to try and reduce the ping while gaming?

What exactly IS your current ping while gaming. You realize that 90% of that is related to the game server, not your connection, right? If the server connection is not good, or THEY have issues with configuration or line quality, or connection type, or too many users online, then you could have a 5ms ping time in general and still have a very poor ping when it comes to that game server.

Have you tried alternative servers?

Typically on Rocket League before they came and fixed the wire coming from outside, my ping was anywhere from 33-45. Now its 66-70.

On apex legends my ping was 33-39. Now its 49-55.

And no I havent tried other servers because on apex it tells you the best server with best ping, and on rocket league it gives you your specific region like east coast (im east coast) and everytime Ive ever went onto west coast its been in the 100s or high 90s.

Ive never had over 45 ping in any game I play that has an east coast server. maybe 50 max.

I see. Well, that settles that part then I guess. The only other thing I can think of is that your ISP is throttling or otherwise downgrading the priority of gaming traffic, and they weren't before. Or, a setting in your router is. There are settings in most routers for this.

What is the exact model of the new router and the new modem?

I see. Well, that settles that part then I guess. The only other thing I can think of is that your ISP is throttling or otherwise downgrading the priority of gaming traffic, and they weren't before. Or, a setting in your router is. There are settings in most routers for this.

What is the exact model of the new router and the new modem?

I actually found the modem online here. https://www.bonanza.com/listings/e3...ERo4GHlADddGdyN-5N6-LV3eA46we7z4aAheHEALw_wcB

Looking at reviews of that router, it seems like it leaves a lot to be desired. I see a lot of threads related to the RAC2V1K that suggest that your problem might not be particularly limited to your own situation.

I certainly can't guarantee that a better router is going to cure your problem, but it certainly isn't going to make it worse.

First though, it would be helpful, if at all possible, if you could connect to the router using an ethernet connection, hard wired using Cat5 or newer cable, to see if this problem with lag and high ping still exists while gaming or if it is ONLY limited to the use of Wi-Fi while gaming.

All other considerations aside, the optimal configuration in this kind of scenario would be to get a wireless router that supports both MU-MIMO and Beamforming, that is at at least some form of Wireless AC, and ALSO a wireless network adapter (PCI add in card would be preferred, because they have less lag and are generally stronger when it comes to performance, but USB can work as well so long as it) that supports "Beamforming". If it supports both Beamforming AND Mu-Mimo (Multiple user in, multiple user out), then so much the better.

These make a difference. In some cases, with a good router model that supports it, a big difference. You can Google Beamforming and Mu-Mimo to learn more about those.

Solution

All other considerations aside, the optimal configuration in this kind of scenario would be to get a wireless router that supports both MU-MIMO and Beamforming, that is at at least some form of Wireless AC, and ALSO a wireless network adapter (PCI add in card would be preferred, because they have less lag and are generally stronger when it comes to performance, but USB can work as well so long as it) that supports "Beamforming". If it supports both Beamforming AND Mu-Mimo (Multiple user in, multiple user out), then so much the better.

These make a difference. In some cases, with a good router model that supports it, a big difference. You can Google Beamforming and Mu-Mimo to learn more about those.

My adapter does support Beamforming. I did some small research on it when I bought the adapter and learned the basics of what it does.

And the technician did a ping test on another pc we have in the house that is hardwired and the ping was 33ms (it was on speedtest.net) and my ping using wifi on speedtest.net is 36ms. So honestly it sounds normal to me.

But I can try to get my rig downstairs tomorrow to hook it up to that ethernet and see if it drops the actual in game ping substantially.

I just cant wrap my head around how both my games have higher ping for no reason still lol. Even though its on wifi lol.

That would do the same thing as trying it with a wired connection, which is, isolate the problem to the wireless adapter on the PC. If you have the same problem on another WiFi network, then it's likely the wireless adapter. If you DON'T have the problem on a wired connection, then it's likely the wireless adapter. The only way it would NOT be likely to be the wireless adapter, is if there is no change when using ethernet or there is no similar problem when using a different wireless network.