[SOLVED] Ping is constantly higher for no apparent reason

Mar 3, 2021
This problem of mine started about a week ago. In servers that I usually had a consistent and stable 100 ping jumped to about 380 for no reason. I have looked into it and it is not at all the server's fault as it hasn't changed its location in 5 years. This problem was only present with online games. My network speeds are hard capped at 60 download, and 15 upload and they haven't changed at all. I've uninstalled many of my programs that raised my suspicion . I uninstalled NetLimiter, I reset all of my network settings to default, and even did a clean install of windows. None of those things worked and I hard reset my router multiple times. Please help me with this issue as I can't enjoy any sort of online game anymore. Even servers for CS:GO where I used to have 20 ping in their EU servers but now I have a constant 200. By the way none of these are network spikes and it is literally just a constant and stable ping that is much higher than it should be.

Solution
If it is in hop 1 that is inside your house and generally the only way you get high latency like that in your house is in on wifi. It could also be software on your machine but it is not real likely. If you are running a VPN that can cause it also.

The latency is either going to be related to distance or something holding the data in buffers mostly because of overloaded connections.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By clean install, did you fabricate your bootable installer for the OS(assuming Windows 10 since that's not mentioned) using Windows Media Creation Tools? Might want to also check and see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates.

Are you on wireless or wired?

Mar 3, 2021
What I mean by clean install is installing an entirely fresh version of Windows via flash drive. I also do have a wired connection, and my BIOS is completely up to date.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021
Also there was one thing bothering me. I have an extender and my main router is sitting on my desk connected to my computer. My extender is connected with a 30ft ethernet cable and when I first did the wired connection, it showed up as the extender. The day the problems started occurring was when the connection changed to my main router. Keep in mind that the ethernet connection to my computer was on the main router the entire time. Is there I can fix that? Also sometimes when I try to load webpages, I am greeted with this error (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN ) I hope all of this information can help you pinpoint the problem.

Last edited:
Run tracert to the server ip and to some common ip link 8.8.8.8

It depends on where you see the high latency. It could be there was a failure or change in the connection between your ISP and the ISP the game company uses or between other ISP. Those you can not really do much about.

If the high latency is in the first 2 or 3 hops you might get it fixed.

If it is in hop 1 that is inside your house and generally the only way you get high latency like that in your house is in on wifi. It could also be software on your machine but it is not real likely. If you are running a VPN that can cause it also.

The latency is either going to be related to distance or something holding the data in buffers mostly because of overloaded connections.

Solution

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By clean install, did you fabricate your bootable installer for the OS(assuming Windows 10 since that's not mentioned) using Windows Media Creation Tools? Might want to also check and see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates.

Are you on wireless or wired?
can you check my post I really need help ASAP and the person who replied to me is offline

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021

can you check my post I really need help ASAP and the person who replied to me is offline