Ping issues/Lag issues

Trey_4

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Hey, I have been dealing with a terrible WISP service. Its been on going for several years. The problem lies in the ping. I get ping spikes that go from about 4ms to 100ms temporarily. This happens directly after I hit the ap, so probably at a router or switch or something. This isn't that big of a deal except it KILLS my ping and causes unreal amounts of lag in my games. The ping isnt even that bad, with the re-occuring ping spike. I think my router may be a cause of some of it, but even bypassing going straight to my radio doesn't improve it much. My router is a Linksys E3000 and my radio is a ubiquiti litebeam ac (I think). Again the problem exists AFTER I get into the ap. Everything before that is perfect. Please help me! I've tried to ask them but they just "Fix" my radio settings instead of actually doing anything.

Solution
Do you have the ability to log into the radio or does the ISP control that. Mostly you want to look at the signal levels and make sure they are strong and do not fluctuate much.

Pretty much there is not much you can see or do past your radio. There is no way to even know for sure if you would ping the next hop that is immediately past your radio is. Many times they use a bunch of backhaul point to point radios for all their towers back to some common point. It may have multiple point to point hops. You can see none of this because it is all layer 2 so it does little good to ping stuff. Now the WISP generally has a management network overlayed so they can remotely get on that network but I am sure they do their best to prevent...

iraliex

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
If you have not already try getting a new ISP, some ISPs only allow some devices to connect to the internet well. Nothing seems to be wrong with the router unless it is broken.. Take a look at some images on google of the router and maybe look at your router and see if they're identical. You could try using an ethernet cable to connect your device with your router. If your device is located a distance away from your router then you can order a wireless ethernet adapter that connects from wherever your router is and then plug in the second half near your computer then plug in the ethernet cable into the one near your computer. I would suggest trying this out by moving your pc to wherever your router is then plugging an ethernet calbe into the router and then the other end into your PC.

Trey_4

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Im not sure what you're saying, but my router nor my pc nor ANYTHING on my side of the spectrum is a problem. Unfortunately I cannot switch ISP's at the moment which is a real bummer, but I am still looking to fix this. You see, WISPs work as point-to-point peer connections. Several people connect using wireless radios to a central ap that distributes and manages the bandwidth/packages and what not. The problem is immediately after my radio contacts their AP, there is some sort of router or switch that causes ping spikes. Its out of my control for the most part and I doubt theres much I can do, but still looking to the forums for some advice.

iraliex

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
I'm not sure if you can connect to the internet through an ethernet cable using a WISP as a WISP is more of an advanced thing however I do suggest getting an ISP that will allow you to connect using ethernet cables. But the only advice I can give is keep looking for a different ISP as that is most likely the source of the problem as you have stated that nothing is wrong with the router or PC. An ethernet cable is more secure from wireless networking as the information is dealt straight to the computer and is more protected than wireless. However I hope you can get a better ISP, gl.

Trey_4

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Im using an ethernet cable, and I can plug directly into the radio. I dont think you understand my problem here.

Do you have the ability to log into the radio or does the ISP control that. Mostly you want to look at the signal levels and make sure they are strong and do not fluctuate much.

Pretty much there is not much you can see or do past your radio. There is no way to even know for sure if you would ping the next hop that is immediately past your radio is. Many times they use a bunch of backhaul point to point radios for all their towers back to some common point. It may have multiple point to point hops. You can see none of this because it is all layer 2 so it does little good to ping stuff. Now the WISP generally has a management network overlayed so they can remotely get on that network but I am sure they do their best to prevent end users from having any form of access including simple ping.

Still this is not a very good method to run a WISP. This has the same problems you do when you share a AP in your house. There is no control over the end stations and if they can not hear each other...which is extremely likely with a wisp...they can transmit at the same time in effect jamming the AP. Better WISP use something like a motorola canopy system that works more like a cell phone system or cable system where the tower tell the radio when it is permitted to transmit. This also allows them to control bandwidth better. There would be nothing stopping you from sending large streams of UDP packets at the max rate the radio can possibly run which would completely block all the other users.

Bottom line unless the signal level is low which would be a alignment issue it is likely competition with other customers that is causing the problem. Especially if it happens more during certain times of day.

Solution

Trey_4

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Yep. I figured. We don't have any backhauls as far as I know, as it is a small town, and maybe that could be part of the cause. They could do it more efficiently but they are tight and its all a matter of making money to them. Thank you so much for the help and info.