Question Ping messed up

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
So well what should I say, I have a good connection (http://prntscr.com/ndf82x - Thats in the night). But on the day it does not look much different.
My Problem is that as soon as I just watch youtube (or somebody else in the house) my ping in games or Servers goes up to 100+.. Thats pretty annoying. When nobody is watching anything it's also a bit higher then usual.

To note: I'm connected via LAN with an Power-Lan adapter (which works nice and is probably not the cause).

Thanks for any help!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
It could be your ISP. Maybe check your bandwith package and see if it's being limited and/or throttled during certain times of the day. It could also be your router and always update to the latest firmware by checking it's settings locally, and make sure your network drivers are up to date as well, Good luck!

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
It could be your ISP. Maybe check your bandwith package and see if it's being limited and/or throttled during certain times of the day. It could also be your router and always update to the latest firmware by checking it's settings locally, and make sure your network drivers are up to date as well, Good luck!
Well, firmware is updated. What I found out is that we dont yet have "glasfaser" (sorry dont know the english word rn). It's currently getting build a few hundred meters away and will probably soon be done.

Theres a difference between loaded ping an unloaded ping. This is why netflix's fast.com gives you two ping results.

Even on my 60 down 10 up i get pings in the 200 ms range when im loading down the network with multiple streams.

Theres a couple things you can do however.
1. Check to see if its your network config. Try pinging the ip of a local computer and see what your ping times are.

2. Try to remove or reduce the number of switch hops. Ive seen configs where people layer switches one right on top the other in a chain 4 deep.

3. Powerline ethernet adapters are kind of a last resort over wireless. They are notoriously slow (i know i have 4 good ones and see max throughput tap out at 80mbps) and often go into power save mode which increases ping time. They do work well in the basement however where signals dontnpropagate well. They also work well in small city apartments where there is copper wiring and a very congested wifi.