PING Shane....Firefox 1.06

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
475
0
18,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi Puss.....

I was having all sorts of silly problems with the new version, which I had
downloaded over top of 1.05.

Uninstalled it and did a fresh install.....same dam problems. "This page
contains no data", slow to open, even my mouse was going ballistic and I
never connected it to FF. I had reinstalled the software for the optical
mouse and it still went all over the page.

Long story short.....read quite a few complaints and alleged fixes on the FF
Forum.....and how they didn't work. So uninstalled 1.06 once again and put
Version 1.05 back on and it is a dream compared to the new one!!!!!

And it opens in 3 seconds instead of 10.....yes, I counted the time after
you complained of it being slow.

Just thought I would tell you my very anecdotal story. One of the gurus
said NOT to go back to 1.05....but I disagree. They must have some serious
bugs in that 1.06. Can't remember all of the annoying things that were
happening, but they are now gone.

Oh....another one, and not sure if this had anything to do with 1.06, but I
couldn't click on a link in a news group post......went nowhere. But if I
opened FF and then clicked on it, it would work. For some reason, it would
not *raise* FF out of its slumber....grin.

XX Figgs
 

Shane

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
754
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Interesting, Figgs. I haven't found any problems with 1.06, myself (yet) and
the slowness has been with every build!

I have never counted it, but just did and reached 4 elephants!

I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
dollars to test it! Ain't M$ something else??? That's the first time I've
typed it M$ (except when explaining that I don't!) but I reckon the shoe
fits!

I also reckon I'd better have another glass of wine (S. African Chenin
Blanc, excellent!), I have to ride in the morning!


Shane



Heather wrote:
> Hi Puss.....
>
> I was having all sorts of silly problems with the new version, which
> I had downloaded over top of 1.05.
>
> Uninstalled it and did a fresh install.....same dam problems. "This
> page contains no data", slow to open, even my mouse was going
> ballistic and I never connected it to FF. I had reinstalled the
> software for the optical mouse and it still went all over the page.
>
> Long story short.....read quite a few complaints and alleged fixes on
> the FF Forum.....and how they didn't work. So uninstalled 1.06 once
> again and put Version 1.05 back on and it is a dream compared to the
> new one!!!!!
>
> And it opens in 3 seconds instead of 10.....yes, I counted the time
> after you complained of it being slow.
>
> Just thought I would tell you my very anecdotal story. One of the
> gurus said NOT to go back to 1.05....but I disagree. They must have
> some serious bugs in that 1.06. Can't remember all of the annoying
> things that were happening, but they are now gone.
>
> Oh....another one, and not sure if this had anything to do with 1.06,
> but I couldn't click on a link in a news group post......went
> nowhere. But if I opened FF and then clicked on it, it would work.
> For some reason, it would not *raise* FF out of its slumber....grin.
>
> XX Figgs
 

Shane

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
754
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
> dollars to test it!

That would be ninety-nine dollars-dollars, of course. Straight from the
Department of Redundancy Department.


Shane
 

Shane

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
754
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

btw Figgs, I used to install new builds over the previous. However, since
you end up with an uninstall entry for each build (and if you decide you no
longer need 1.01, 1.02 etc and uninstall, you'll have to re-install the
current build anyway) I'm more likely to uninstall first these days. Also a
couple of builds back an extension that previously worked, caused the new
build to crash, so retaining one's extensions is not a valid reason to
install over the top. The settings are easy and quick to redo and the two
extensions I always use and that so far do work in successive builds, I save
(.xpi) and re-install by drag-and-drop.


Shane

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:eZzqs9ulFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Puss.....
>
> I was having all sorts of silly problems with the new version, which I had
> downloaded over top of 1.05.
>
> Uninstalled it and did a fresh install.....same dam problems. "This page
> contains no data", slow to open, even my mouse was going ballistic and I
> never connected it to FF. I had reinstalled the software for the optical
> mouse and it still went all over the page.
>
> Long story short.....read quite a few complaints and alleged fixes on the
> FF
> Forum.....and how they didn't work. So uninstalled 1.06 once again and
> put
> Version 1.05 back on and it is a dream compared to the new one!!!!!
>
> And it opens in 3 seconds instead of 10.....yes, I counted the time after
> you complained of it being slow.
>
> Just thought I would tell you my very anecdotal story. One of the gurus
> said NOT to go back to 1.05....but I disagree. They must have some
> serious
> bugs in that 1.06. Can't remember all of the annoying things that were
> happening, but they are now gone.
>
> Oh....another one, and not sure if this had anything to do with 1.06, but
> I
> couldn't click on a link in a news group post......went nowhere. But if I
> opened FF and then clicked on it, it would work. For some reason, it
> would
> not *raise* FF out of its slumber....grin.
>
> XX Figgs
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
> dollars to test it!

I don't think so. :) I fact I personally know that not to be true!
--
Mike


Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting, Figgs. I haven't found any problems with 1.06, myself
> (yet) and the slowness has been with every build!
>
> I have never counted it, but just did and reached 4 elephants!
>
> I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
> dollars to test it! Ain't M$ something else??? That's the first time
> I've typed it M$ (except when explaining that I don't!) but I reckon
> the shoe fits!
>
> I also reckon I'd better have another glass of wine (S. African Chenin
> Blanc, excellent!), I have to ride in the morning!
 

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
475
0
18,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hey Puss.......

I can't blame all of the problems on FF. I still can't click on a link in
either OE or Hotmail and have it work......odd!! Any thoughts? And the
mouse is not quite so erratic. Think they are all out to get me....grin.

Cheers....Figgs

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ugFgYKvlFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Interesting, Figgs. I haven't found any problems with 1.06, myself (yet)
and
> the slowness has been with every build!
>
> I have never counted it, but just did and reached 4 elephants!
>
> I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
> dollars to test it! Ain't M$ something else??? That's the first time I've
> typed it M$ (except when explaining that I don't!) but I reckon the shoe
> fits!
>
> I also reckon I'd better have another glass of wine (S. African Chenin
> Blanc, excellent!), I have to ride in the morning!
>
>
> Shane
>
>
>
> Heather wrote:
> > Hi Puss.....
> >
> > I was having all sorts of silly problems with the new version, which
> > I had downloaded over top of 1.05.
> >
> > Uninstalled it and did a fresh install.....same dam problems. "This
> > page contains no data", slow to open, even my mouse was going
> > ballistic and I never connected it to FF. I had reinstalled the
> > software for the optical mouse and it still went all over the page.
> >
> > Long story short.....read quite a few complaints and alleged fixes on
> > the FF Forum.....and how they didn't work. So uninstalled 1.06 once
> > again and put Version 1.05 back on and it is a dream compared to the
> > new one!!!!!
> >
> > And it opens in 3 seconds instead of 10.....yes, I counted the time
> > after you complained of it being slow.
> >
> > Just thought I would tell you my very anecdotal story. One of the
> > gurus said NOT to go back to 1.05....but I disagree. They must have
> > some serious bugs in that 1.06. Can't remember all of the annoying
> > things that were happening, but they are now gone.
> >
> > Oh....another one, and not sure if this had anything to do with 1.06,
> > but I couldn't click on a link in a news group post......went
> > nowhere. But if I opened FF and then clicked on it, it would work.
> > For some reason, it would not *raise* FF out of its slumber....grin.
> >
> > XX Figgs
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Figgs,

Try re-registering urlmon.dll

Start | Run and enter in the box
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
--
Mike


Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Hey Puss.......
>
> I can't blame all of the problems on FF. I still can't click on a
> link in either OE or Hotmail and have it work......odd!! Any
> thoughts? And the mouse is not quite so erratic. Think they are all
> out to get me....grin.
 

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
475
0
18,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Tried that....it said it was successful. But clicking on a link still
doesn't work......unless I have to reboot (which just crossed my mind).

Figgs

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:%235pTcw4lFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Figgs,
>
> Try re-registering urlmon.dll
>
> Start | Run and enter in the box
> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
> --
> Mike
>
>
> Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Hey Puss.......
> >
> > I can't blame all of the problems on FF. I still can't click on a
> > link in either OE or Hotmail and have it work......odd!! Any
> > thoughts? And the mouse is not quite so erratic. Think they are all
> > out to get me....grin.
>
 

Shane

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
754
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

OK, Mike, I'll admit I conveniently overlooked the circumstance in which one
gets a free MSDN subscription. I'm not aware of any way *I* get to test it,
though.


Shane


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:%23GvfP90lFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
>> dollars to test it!
>
> I don't think so. :) I fact I personally know that not to be true!
> --
> Mike
>
> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting, Figgs. I haven't found any problems with 1.06, myself
>> (yet) and the slowness has been with every build!
>>
>> I have never counted it, but just did and reached 4 elephants!
>>
>> I just noticed IE7.0 is in Beta, but you have to pay a minimum of $99
>> dollars to test it! Ain't M$ something else??? That's the first time
>> I've typed it M$ (except when explaining that I don't!) but I reckon
>> the shoe fits!
>>
>> I also reckon I'd better have another glass of wine (S. African Chenin
>> Blanc, excellent!), I have to ride in the morning!
>
 

Shane

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
754
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> doesn't work......unless I have to reboot (which just crossed my mind).

Short trip, eh Figgs?

<vbg> if that don't deserve another glass of vino, nothing does!


Shane
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Shane,

Nothing to do with a MSDN subscription, free or otherwise, and
incidentally the IE7 beta isn't available via MSDN, "just" Vista Pro x86
and x64 but not IE7 for XP SP2 or Vista server. What you seem though to
have conveniently ignored is the many thousands who are on the technical
beta who at some time or other signed up via BetaPlace to be Microsoft
beta testers or have previously tested for Microsoft and were invited
again.

It seems that you may mean "try out" rather than test. If however you
want to test then why not apply? That's how I started. Many more will be
added to the technical beta as it progresses especially around the time of
beta 2.
--
Mike


Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, Mike, I'll admit I conveniently overlooked the circumstance in
> which one gets a free MSDN subscription. I'm not aware of any way *I*
> get to test it, though.
 

Shane

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
754
0
18,980
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I'm just going on this, Mike:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/default.mspx specifically this:

<snip>

If you are a Web or software developer and want to test Internet Explorer 7
Beta 1, you can access it via your MSDN subscription, or if you don't have
an MSDN subscription you can join MSDN now.

<snip>


Shane



"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:eIJjwo7lFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Shane,
>
> Nothing to do with a MSDN subscription, free or otherwise, and
> incidentally the IE7 beta isn't available via MSDN, "just" Vista Pro x86
> and x64 but not IE7 for XP SP2 or Vista server. What you seem though to
> have conveniently ignored is the many thousands who are on the technical
> beta who at some time or other signed up via BetaPlace to be Microsoft
> beta testers or have previously tested for Microsoft and were invited
> again.
>
> It seems that you may mean "try out" rather than test. If however you
> want to test then why not apply? That's how I started. Many more will be
> added to the technical beta as it progresses especially around the time of
> beta 2.
> --
> Mike
>
>
> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, Mike, I'll admit I conveniently overlooked the circumstance in
>> which one gets a free MSDN subscription. I'm not aware of any way *I*
>> get to test it, though.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Shane,

It appears you are correct. Initially only Vista beta 1 for x86 and x64
was available via MSDN but it appears that IE7 beta for XP SP2 is also
available. Perhaps this was added in the last few days as I don't think
it was initially available when Vista beta 1 was first posted on MSDN last
Wednesday 27 July but could easily be mistaken.
--
Mike


Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just going on this, Mike:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/default.mspx specifically
> this:
> <snip>
>
> If you are a Web or software developer and want to test Internet
> Explorer 7 Beta 1, you can access it via your MSDN subscription, or
> if you don't have an MSDN subscription you can join MSDN now.
>
> <snip>
 

Latest posts