Ping Shoots up when someone else is on the internet, internet cuts out randomly. Help :(

Xtradite

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
So I am with SKY and have unlimited fibre with them, we are paying for 30 down, 10 up, I am currently using power line adaptors as I was told they were better than wireless, and I can't directly use an Ethernet cable to the router without drilling a hole through a wall or using a extremely long cable from room to room. I understand I might sound stupid because I don't know a great deal about this kind of thing but lately it's been really bugging me as I am trying to play games but I'm hitting insanely high pings. This may just be a coincidence but I seem to have ping issues only when another member of my family is using the internet (e.g my sister watching YouTube or something). I understand that this might be due to bandwidth? As I've said I'm not entirely sure, I've googled multiple times about how my ping will shoot up on games such as CS:GO however when I run a speed test on Ookla it says I have 15 ping, 25 download and 5 upload. So not quite what we are paying for but I know that power line adaptors may reduce the speed as opposed to direct Ethernet. I just want to know is there a way to stop my ping from shooting up when someone else is on the internet, increase my internet speed in general and occasionally I will get the small yellow triangle pop up over the network icon where my internet will cut out to my PC however my wifi will still work on my phone for instance. Just wondering, I'd appreciate any help and once again I'm sorry if I sound stupid here I don't know much about this topic, thanks.

Iain_T

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I had exactly the same problem with Sky using powerline adaptors. I have just finished running a cat 6 cable from a my (extremely useless) SR102 Sky router to an old BT homehub 3 acting as a wireless extender and my ping issues have vanished and I also have a huge speed increase too.

I discovered that although my 2 hubs are above each other, the electricity cable goes from my bedroom to my consumer box and then back out to the room below which was causing issues because of the distance travelled. With this, I am now planning on networking the whole house and only using wifi for mobile devices. It is a pain, but I would really recommend running the cable or your issues will remain unfortunately.