ping SO high

• Thread starter Deleted member 1969071
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1969071

I've always had this problem but it's never been this bad. Recently when trying to play CS:GO with my friend (keep in mind he lives in the same state and we live within 15 miles from each other AND I'm on an Ethernet connection) I've just been skyrocketing in ping. It will be fine the first few rounds of the game, and then I just go up to 900 and will never go back down. I've reset and reset my router countless times and to no avail. I reset my router an hour or so ago and I was at a constant 400 ping. It's been really pissing me off lately since I just can't play games anymore. My internet provider is Bright House.

Solution
Maybe test actual ping command to make sure it is not something with the game setup. Have him if possible set his router to reply to ping commands. It is disabled in some/many routers. You could then leave a cmd window running with a actual ping command. You could also run tracert to see where the delay is. The tracert will also show you how complex the path is. If you both use the same ISP it will be much simpler than if you use different ISP.
It might not have anything to do with your equipment. Have you checked with Bright House? You may be running into a throttling and/or data cap problem since the first few rounds are fine.

There is so much equipment between you and your friend that it doesn't really matter how close or far apart you are. If one of your ISP's links is down you could be being routed through almost anywhere in the world.

Maybe test actual ping command to make sure it is not something with the game setup. Have him if possible set his router to reply to ping commands. It is disabled in some/many routers. You could then leave a cmd window running with a actual ping command. You could also run tracert to see where the delay is. The tracert will also show you how complex the path is. If you both use the same ISP it will be much simpler than if you use different ISP.

Solution