Ping spikes and laggy connection

Molly Parker

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
Currently I'm dealing with an issue on my wireless connection where anytime I try to play online games or stream online my ping spikes randomly and unpredictably causing lag. For example, I play the online game League of Legends. Upon entering the game I have around an 80 ping which is right where it should be, I can run the game great at this ping. However, usually at around a minute/two minutes in my ping will randomly start spiking up to 900 ping.

My ISP is Comcast, I'm using a Comcast modem and a Linksys 6350 router. What I know so far is this:

- The problem is not with the modem. I have plugged my laptop directly into the modem and did not experience any lag spikes.
- The problem is not unique to the League of Legends server. I experience a similar issue with streaming videos where it will run smoothly and then cut out / lose quality.
- It does not seem to be related to the channel my router is on. I tried switching from 6 to 11 and did not experience any improvement.
- Connecting to the 5 GHz vs the 2.4 GHz does not make a difference. I also tried using a Netgear AC wireless USB adapter and connecting to the 5GHz network but still experienced lag spikes.
- I have had this exact issue with 3 different routers. i originally had an old Belkin router that I experienced the same issue with, as well as the router built into the Comcast modem.
- Regardless of where I move the laptop in the house I have the same issue. I don't think the area I usually try to play the game in is a dead zone.
- i prioritized League of Legends AND my laptop on the router to High Priority under the Media Prioritization on the Linksys router menu. It didn't help at all which leads me to believe the issue is also not bandwidth related.

I've pretty much run out of things to try at this point. If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Have you tried another router? WiFi is fickle.

A quick google showed a lot of people on NewEgg and Amazon complaining about wifi "pausing" issues. I highly recommend checking reviews before purchasing and always look at what people are complaining about. This router is only getting a 3 out of 5 stars. I typically never purchase anything below a 4/5 and aim for 4.5/5. Even then, I have see 4/5 with low reviews talking about problems after many months for some devices. I stay away from those to.

Look for patterns in the complaints.

TRENDING THREADS