[SOLVED] Ping spikes and packet loss

kxt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Been having ping spikes and loss for years now, but its been getting worse lately.

ISP: Cox
Connection: wired directly to modem @ 300 down 30 up. Idle network when testing.
Hardware: tested on Arris SB8200 and NETGEAR CM500, both brand new. Also tested on different PCs with high-end hardware and updated drivers.
Frequency: Ping spikes and packet loss at random times even during off hours (ie 3 AM on a Monday) which suggests this isn't a congestion issue?
Further info:
  • replaced coax and ethernet cables to modem,
  • Cox techs always say my signals look good, and that they can't act on a mere 1% loss. I point out the high ping spikes but they just point right back at the green checkmarks on the signals.
  • Maintenance checked street lines and claimed everything is fine. They refuse to escalate any further.
  • I also remember lagging using CenturyLink's DSL 60 down package.
Pingplotter results on an idle network

d5HMY6O.png

Downstream signal: View: https://i.imgur.com/gyxde49.png

Upstream signal: View: https://i.imgur.com/RASuOpl.png

Modem event log: View: https://i.imgur.com/a2nDkAf.png

Since the lag starts from the first hop, I'm thinking there's something wrong between my house and the demarc. Also the lag has gotten worse over the years so maybe a cable needs replacing? One problem is whenever the tech arrives to run tests, they rarely find anything because the lag is so intermittent. I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Solution
That didn't help much unfortunately. All those numbers are really good. I have never seen the dynamic range message but I bet that was on a startup. Generally you only worry about messages that have a number 3 or less and many of the 3 messages are not a issue.

From what I can tell the connection between the ISP equipment and your house is really good. Still the ping says it is in the first hop. This means it must be beyond the docsis stuff coming to your house but before it hits a second router, Normally the equipment you and all your neighbors connect to also functions as a router. Been a very long time since I had any dealing with this so I don't know how the technology works any more.
I agree with your assessment there is something wrong with the connection between you and the ISP.

The modem has logs that should show issues, the ISP can actually see these since the modem sends them to the head end unit also. You also want to look at the signal levels. The ISP may say they are ok but they are likely testing with there meter rather than the modem. There is also a screen that show errors. Most important are the uncorrectable ones, those are packet loss.

These type of problems can be weather related also so see if there is any pattern.

You may just replace the modem and hope you get lucky even though a modem is kinda expensive.

Reactions: SamirD

kxt

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I agree with your assessment there is something wrong with the connection between you and the ISP.

The modem has logs that should show issues, the ISP can actually see these since the modem sends them to the head end unit also. You also want to look at the signal levels. The ISP may say they are ok but they are likely testing with there meter rather than the modem. There is also a screen that show errors. Most important are the uncorrectable ones, those are packet loss.

These type of problems can be weather related also so see if there is any pattern.

You may just replace the modem and hope you get lucky even though a modem is kinda expensive.

I updated my post with signals and the modem event log. I've tried 4 different modems so far: SB8200, netgear c500, Cox's panoramic modem/router combo, and whatever Centurylink gave me for their DSL.

That didn't help much unfortunately. All those numbers are really good. I have never seen the dynamic range message but I bet that was on a startup. Generally you only worry about messages that have a number 3 or less and many of the 3 messages are not a issue.

From what I can tell the connection between the ISP equipment and your house is really good. Still the ping says it is in the first hop. This means it must be beyond the docsis stuff coming to your house but before it hits a second router, Normally the equipment you and all your neighbors connect to also functions as a router. Been a very long time since I had any dealing with this so I don't know how the technology works any more.

Solution
I've had to deal with ISPs not fixing packet loss like this before. It's a real pita to get them to do it. But with the right documentation seen by the right person, it gets fixed.

First set up a thinkbroadband monitor and check it when you're having issues for red lines indicating packet loss. These should correspond with your issues and you should be able to use this as documentation.

Second, when you're having issues, run the freeola line test (not the speed test) and that should also indicate jitter and ping issues.

Keep saving screenshots of this stuff and sending it in endlessly. Get credits on your bill for the issues using the documentation as proof.