Question Ping spikes from pc to modem even when using ethernet cable

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
when i ping 192.168.1.1, i get ping spikes about twice every minute even though i am connected via an Ethernet cable. it doesn't affect browsing but when i'm gaming it is very noticeable. what could be the cause of this problem?

Capture.png

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
you say modem but that ip is usually a routers, do you have an all in one device or can you bypass the router to an actual modem? also is this ethernet directly to the device or does it go to a switch or anything else (powerline adapter, etc)first?

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
you say modem but that ip is usually a routers, do you have an all in one device or can you bypass the router to an actual modem? also is this ethernet directly to the device or does it go to a switch or anything else (powerline adapter, etc)first?
i dont know the difference between a router and a modem tbh. its just the one that the isp provided, i think its a Comtrend ar-5310u
the ethernet is plugged directly to it, i just tried to use another cable that is shorter, and i tried pinging from another computer and its the same thing

It is very strange that you get latency spikes to hop 1.

There is not a lot of ways this can happen. It is not the cable since that just send electrons and has not method to store it. You pc sends a packet and the router either is busy for some reason and delays responding or the router actually responds but your pc is doing something else and does not take it out of the buffer but blames the delay on the network.

This actually is more like a wifi connection since wifi does data retransssions on errors which can cause delays.

Not sure I would suspect some driver issue with your PC. Make sure you do not have any form of "gaming" network stuff installed or running. Machines with killer ethernet nics tends to be the worst offenders of the gaming driver issue.

Can you try another device and see if it get the same problem to the router.

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
yes i already tried my other computer and it has the same issue, that pc doesnt have anything installed except things like chrome and vlc etc. so i think its probably a router issue. is there something i can change in the settings of the router?

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
yes i already tried my other computer and it has the same issue, that pc doesnt have anything installed except things like chrome and vlc etc. so i think its probably a router issue. is there something i can change in the settings of the router?
Then i would swap the modem out and make sure you change the power adapter with it. Also try plugging directly into the wall socket and not an extension/strip.

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Then i would swap the modem out and make sure you change the power adapter with it. Also try plugging directly into the wall socket and not an extension/strip.
unfortunatly i dont have another modem to swap. but i think i found something, when i am the only one using the internet, with ethernet cable, and i ping 192.168.1.1 i get almost perfect ping, almost always <2 ping and only spikes to 10 ping at most. BUT, when i also ping another server AT THE SAME TIME, like league of legend's server "riot.de" i start to get the ping spikes again (the ping spikes appear on the 192.168.1.1 ping graph and then also on the "riot.de" graph). so im thinking maybe this ping spiking issue is caused when the router has too many "requests"? or whatever the technical word is, maybe it cant handle too much traffic and that causes the slow response time?
im also pinging every 0.01sec / 10ms and pinging "192.168.1.1" and "riot.de" at the same time

zafazda.png

TRENDING THREADS