Question Ping spikes HELP

Jan 22, 2023
Hello,

one week and few days ago, exactly on 12th of January I've moved in my new house. We have brand new router and wifi. Everything is brand new.

However, I am experiecing ping spikes in same intervals. This is how it looks like: https://prnt.sc/dIibqHISvIJI

Basically every game becomes unplayable, even during video calls,... there is interval consisting of two seconds during which my internet hits 1800ms. After that, everything goes back to normal to 20-50ms and after 10 seconds the ping spike happens again. I am getting crazy, but what can I do about it?

I've tried both wired and wifi. On my phone, doing the same test with wifi, there are no ping spikes, the ping is just higher, like 80-100ms, which is not that bad. When trying the test wirelessly on my PC, the thing on the screenshot happens.
Since I can't connect the LAN cable directly to my PC, I've used my old laptop to try the test while wired. The ping was crazy. Maybe the LAN cable was broken, but that doesn't matter at all, since I use wifi on my PC.

What can I do about it? I've been thinking of buying new wifi adapter.

ALSO!! When I'm connected to my phone hotspot, datas, on my PC, there is no such problem. No ping spikes, everything fine.

Site that I was testing my ping spikes on: https://ping.canbeuseful.com/en#ping

This is extremely common when you use wifi. You likely get random interference from your neighbors wifi usage which causes delays and loss.

You need to test on ethernet mostly because even if the problem is with say your ISP they will blame the wifi and you can't prove it isn't.

So first test is when you are on ethernet open a cmd window and use a actual ping command and ping your router IP. People seldom see loss here but if you do it would indicate a issue with the pc or the router or in rare cases the cable.

If you see no loss here run tracert 8.8.8.8. This will not likely show any loss the goal is purely to get the IP addresses of the routers in the path. You now want to ping your ISP first router this for most people is hop 2.

Loss here indicates a problem with the connection to your house. Generally it is a cabling issue outside your house.