[SOLVED] Ping spikes when the internet is being surfed

sa.ceggm

Honorable
Feb 8, 2019
Hello.
So, as the title says, am facing some huge ping spikes whenever the internet is being surfed. My ping is usually around 60-70 but whenever I or someone else runs a google search or scroll over FB ,for example, my ping would jump to 800-2000. I do have a slow internet (4Mbs, which is considered ok in my country and what most people use over here) but the thing is i never faced this problem when i had a 1Mb internet speed nor did i face it when i upgraded to 2Mbs so i dont think speed plays a role in this case. I havent been gaming for a year now and i upgraded my internet to 4Mbs and the ping problem started to show so am not exactly sure what happened in that one year gap
I did try to set up my QoS but it either didnt work( due to my slow internet speed maybe, or i just didnt know how to set it up properly am no expert in this stuff )
Edit: i use a cable and not wifi.
I'd like to get some feedback if possible and thank you

Solution
It depends if your router has any ability to show you the utilization.

You can generally see how much your machines is using by watching the network tab in the resource monitor. This does not show you how much other machines are using.

It almost has to be load there is not much else that can cause it. The only way you see a higher ping time is that your data is being held in buffers while other data is using the connection.

I guess it depend if it runs ok when nobody else uses it and only when there is other traffic it has problems. if it has issues even when nobody else is using it then you can suspect something else on the machine causing it. Still all it takes is to leave a web page open that has video ads in it and...

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your router or the device that is the intermediary between you and your ISP? Make and model of your Ethernet ports adapter? If you're working with the NIC that comes bundled with the motherboard, then include the specs to your entire build and the version for your OS. Check to see what BIOS version you're on for the motherboard at the time of writing. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your NIC adapter's driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Reactions: sa.ceggm
Your issue likely is your upload speed. Depending on the game but many want around .5mbps and some more. Even though most other applications are primarily download they all send some data up. They at the minimum must send the request for the web page.

When you have such a small internet conenction is very hard to do much. The problem with QoS is it uses a average rate but you can still get small bursts of data that exceed the rate. It is not as much a issue for large connection but on small connection just 1 extra packet can cause you to exceed the limit.

Your first step is to see if you can figure out if you are exceeding your upload and/or your download rates.

sa.ceggm

Honorable
Feb 8, 2019
Make and model of your router or the device that is the intermediary between you and your ISP? Make and model of your Ethernet ports adapter? If you're working with the NIC that comes bundled with the motherboard, then include the specs to your entire build and the version for your OS. Check to see what BIOS version you're on for the motherboard at the time of writing. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your NIC adapter's driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?
Thank you for your answer and sorry for responding late. As for the router its a Huawei HG532e . I am using the NIC that comes with the motherboard. I have a dell optiplex 3010 with 4GB of ram , intel g640 2.8GHz CPU and an intel HD graphics graphic card, I recently installed windows 8 ( been using windows xp untill last april).
As for the BIOS version, it says Dell 1072009 (not sure if that's correct).
As for reinstalling the NIC adapter, no i havent tried that, i only have a problem when it comes to gaming, everything else is fine. Should i try that?.

Your issue likely is your upload speed. Depending on the game but many want around .5mbps and some more. Even though most other applications are primarily download they all send some data up. They at the minimum must send the request for the web page.

When you have such a small internet conenction is very hard to do much. The problem with QoS is it uses a average rate but you can still get small bursts of data that exceed the rate. It is not as much a issue for large connection but on small connection just 1 extra packet can cause you to exceed the limit.

Your first step is to see if you can figure out if you are exceeding your upload and/or your download rates.
Thank you for your response.
Well the thing is, i never faced this problem before even when having a 1MBs and 2MBs connection with people connected to my network, thats why i thought it isnt speed related, am not sure though.
Is there a way i can do that? i mean figure out if i am exceeding the upload/download rates?

You can generally see how much your machines is using by watching the network tab in the resource monitor. This does not show you how much other machines are using.

It almost has to be load there is not much else that can cause it. The only way you see a higher ping time is that your data is being held in buffers while other data is using the connection.

I guess it depend if it runs ok when nobody else uses it and only when there is other traffic it has problems. if it has issues even when nobody else is using it then you can suspect something else on the machine causing it. Still all it takes is to leave a web page open that has video ads in it and it will eat all your bandwidth when you have a very small connection.

Solution

sa.ceggm

Honorable
Feb 8, 2019

I guess it depend if it runs ok when nobody else uses it and only when there is other traffic it has problems. if it has issues even when nobody else is using it then you can suspect something else on the machine causing it. Still all it takes is to leave a web page open that has video ads in it and it will eat all your bandwidth when you have a very small connection.
Yes, everything runs smoothly when there's no other traffic. Even when a youtube video ( or multiple youtube videos) is being played at 720p-1080p the ping is stable ( just a sudden jump to 100-120 for half a second or so, which doesnt cause much of a trouble) but if someone opens the youtube app, for example, and keep on scrolling through videos then the ping spikes . And the same goes for when social media apps are being scrolled or some google pages are loading