Question Ping spikes when using a wifi repeater (Ethernet and Wireless Connection)

AForceGaming

Commendable
Feb 5, 2022
Hello,
So we had our router in the living room all the time and when I'm playing I get like 68ms to 76ms average ping, but unfortunately the router had to be moved due to management and it got far away, I can still connect to it using my Wireless USB dongle but it's not worth it since the signal is very weak and it disconnects all the time.

And no I can't use an Ethernet cable because there are many walls and doors seperating them so it would be a pain in the balls to do that.
So I borrowed a WiFi repeater , specifically the TP-Link TL-WA801ND 300MBPS Access Point and it worked just fine OUTSIDE of games, browsing or downloading is fine and it's just like the normal days (when the router was in its place}

But the major problem is that in ALL GAMES the ping goes up from like 68-76ms to 202ms very quickly and for no appearing reason,
I tryed every suggested fix from youtube like changing DNS or using TCP Optimizer or disabling Network Throttling and a bunch of other fixed, but it doesn't work, non of them (Maybe the overall experience got better but the ping spikes are still there).

I tried connecting to the repeater with the USB wireless LAN dongle but it still remains the same (sometimes even worse)

It's so annoying, imagine encountering an enemy and the ping suddenly spikes which happened to me many times and made me lose games,So I recorded a video clip in csgo while I was playing, in this clip I don't know why was getting 90ms tho I get 60-70 all the time, here's the link :
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/xU4qs7Q8kBw

Here are my specs:
-GPU : PNY XLR8 GTX 1660 Super 6GB OC
-CPU : Intel i3-10105F / Intel Stock Cooler
-RAM: HP V2 (8x2) 16 GB 2666 MHz
-MOBO : ASUS PRIME H510M-R
-PSU : RedDragon RGPS-500W
-SSD : HP S650 480GB SATA III
-Case : Inter-Tech X-3601 Impulse Micro
-Windows 10 64-bits (latest version)
-WiFi repeater : TP-Link TL-WA801ND 300MBPS Access Point
-Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster P2350 60Hz

-Wireless USB dongle : Realtek RTL8188FTV Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0

Your problem is you think there is some magic box that can fix poor wifi signal. A repeater is not designed to be used the way you are using it.

All you are doing is using the repeater as a wifi nic card that you connect via ethernet rather than USB like you USB dongle.

Both devices get the same bad signal in your room they are just different ways to connect to your machine

Now if you could place the repeater in a different room closer to the router where it gets good signal and run a long ethernet cable to that location that might help.

A repeater in general is designed to be placed in a location that it can get good signal from the router and still be able to send a second wifi signal to the remote location. You could think 1/2 way between the router and your room but it is not that simple in a house with walls/ceilings etc in the path. Even when a repeater is properly placed you now have a second wifi signal in the path....unless you run a long ethernet cable. This second wifi signal will add a constant small extra latency but is now a second wifi signal that can take interference.

Your best option are to look at other technology. Best is MoCA if you have coax cable in your room and near the router. Otherwise consider powerline networks. It is much slower than moca but games do not need much bandwidth maybe 1mbps. Like moca it has very consistent latency which is what online games need most.

Reactions: AForceGaming

AForceGaming

Commendable
Feb 5, 2022
Your problem is you think there is some magic box that can fix poor wifi signal. A repeater is not designed to be used the way you are using it.

All you are doing is using the repeater as a wifi nic card that you connect via ethernet rather than USB like you USB dongle.

Both devices get the same bad signal in your room they are just different ways to connect to your machine

Now if you could place the repeater in a different room closer to the router where it gets good signal and run a long ethernet cable to that location that might help.

A repeater in general is designed to be placed in a location that it can get good signal from the router and still be able to send a second wifi signal to the remote location. You could think 1/2 way between the router and your room but it is not that simple in a house with walls/ceilings etc in the path. Even when a repeater is properly placed you now have a second wifi signal in the path....unless you run a long ethernet cable. This second wifi signal will add a constant small extra latency but is now a second wifi signal that can take interference.

Your best option are to look at other technology. Best is MoCA if you have coax cable in your room and near the router. Otherwise consider powerline networks. It is much slower than moca but games do not need much bandwidth maybe 1mbps. Like moca it has very consistent latency which is what online games need most.
I can't get a MoCA like you said here but I'll try to place the repeater in 1/2 way between the router and my room then connect using Ethernet and see how that goes.
Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS