[SOLVED] Ping Spikes !

Jan 15, 2019
Hi! I have some problems with my ping. I have low ping 10-20 and then 30-40 sec its go high 300-400...and not only in games, I have tried to update my drivers my its last drivers. Here is a ss of speed test : https://imgur.com/a/cmpVcSQ
PS : Im on cable not wifi!

Solution
It is not uncommon for a game to tell lies on the ping time but if you see ping spikes with a actual ping command you need to find where the delay is.

Run a tracert to a well know ip like 8.8.8.8

You might get lucky and see the point of delay but if it is random it tends to be hard to get with just this command.

What you want to do is open multiple cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to hop1...your router, hop2...likely the ISP first router, and 8.8.8.8

If you see issues in hop1 there is a issue inside your house with your pc or router. If that one is good but hop 2 is bad then you likely have a issue between your house and the ISP. If both hop1 and hop2 are good but the final ip has issues then the problem is farther...

Ralston18

Titan
Being an intermittent problem then the first suspect would be loose connection somewhere.

Physically check all cabling and connections end to end.

Look for loose connections, signs of physical damage, corrosion, kinked or hard bent cables.

Any wall jacks, patch panels, powerline adapters?

Try replacing network cables between affected devices with known working cables.

It is not uncommon for a game to tell lies on the ping time but if you see ping spikes with a actual ping command you need to find where the delay is.

Run a tracert to a well know ip like 8.8.8.8

You might get lucky and see the point of delay but if it is random it tends to be hard to get with just this command.

What you want to do is open multiple cmd windows and leave a constant ping run to hop1...your router, hop2...likely the ISP first router, and 8.8.8.8

If you see issues in hop1 there is a issue inside your house with your pc or router. If that one is good but hop 2 is bad then you likely have a issue between your house and the ISP. If both hop1 and hop2 are good but the final ip has issues then the problem is farther into the network. You can continue ping hops to find it but it is harder to get fixed the farther away it is. It could be in another ISP.

Solution