Question ping spikes

Jun 15, 2019
I randomly get small ping spikes even though i am connected to my router via ethernet. relatively small ping spikes and they're only for a few seconds but they happen like every 10-15 seconds and it makes playing csgo pretty much unplayable because i just randomly teleport and everyone stands still every 15 seconds for a few seconds and then it goes back down. I've been having this issues for weeks now they randomly started they stopped for a few days (yesterday and the day before) but now they are back and i feel im out of my area of expertise here. It's not just on csgo either it happens on everything, whenever im using Discord peoples voices cut out every 15 seconds for like 2 seconds and then come back.

Run tracert to 8.8.8.8

Now open a couple cmd windows in the background and leave a constant ping run to the ip in hop 1 and the ip in hop 2. The first hop is your router and you should never see issues here. It would be your PC or router causing the issue. Hop2 is represents the connection between your house and the first ISP router for most people. This tends to be the point you see packet loss or delay. If hop1 is good and hop2 is bad I would call the ISP and have them look at the connection.

If both these are good when your game has issues it is going to be much more complex to find.

Jun 15, 2019
Run tracert to 8.8.8.8

Now open a couple cmd windows in the background and leave a constant ping run to the ip in hop 1 and the ip in hop 2. The first hop is your router and you should never see issues here. It would be your PC or router causing the issue. Hop2 is represents the connection between your house and the first ISP router for most people. This tends to be the point you see packet loss or delay. If hop1 is good and hop2 is bad I would call the ISP and have them look at the connection.

If both these are good when your game has issues it is going to be much more complex to find.
the first hop i got a ping spike up to 24 from normally 5-8 ping and the second hop the highest ping i got was 17 from 9-10 ping so i'd say it's from hop 1 what do u think i should do about fixing it

5-8ms is very high to the router most people get 1ms or maybe 2ms.

Still that small of a spike is not likely going to cause huge issues most times a spike is a couple 100ms

When you ping the router it is either the packet gets to the router and the router delays sending a response or the router sends the response quickly but the pc does not read it from its buffer because it is busy doing something else.

Going to be kinda hard to find this, best if you had another device you could test with and see if it gets similar results. That would say if you need to look at the pc or the router.