[SOLVED] Ping spikes

Apr 24, 2020
I've had this problem for a week or so now, and nothing I've found is fixing it. My ping spikes every couple seconds or so from pretty consistent 26 ms to 300 ms or so. I've tried everything: adding a TCPNoDelay string in registry editor, turning off Wi-Fi autoconfig, updating drivers, turning off packet coalescing, turning off delivery optimization, adding QoS rules, and disabling all OneDrive cloud processes. I have a Lenovo Thinkbook 14s with an Intel Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz Wi-Fi adapter.

Last edited:
Solution
You need to test on a ethernet cable to see if it is the wifi or if there is some issue with the internet connection or maybe the router.

If it a wifi issue you try the standard change the channel, try the other band 2.4g or 5g, maybe set the channel width to 20mhz and try various channels again.

Wifi is extremely susceptible to interference from outside your house. Ping spike have little to no effect on most internet usage ....other than online games. This is why they say to always use ethernet to play online games.
You need to test on a ethernet cable to see if it is the wifi or if there is some issue with the internet connection or maybe the router.

If it a wifi issue you try the standard change the channel, try the other band 2.4g or 5g, maybe set the channel width to 20mhz and try various channels again.

Wifi is extremely susceptible to interference from outside your house. Ping spike have little to no effect on most internet usage ....other than online games. This is why they say to always use ethernet to play online games.

Solution