[SOLVED] Ping Spikes

Jun 5, 2021
I have been suffering for a couple months now. I currently believe the problem to be related to an issue in my PC. I am on an Ethernet connection, and have no other internet or Ethernet problems throughout all the other devices on the system. When I ping google in command prompt I have a pretty consistent ping of around 40-60ms that jumps between 200-1000 every 30 seconds or so. I started doing some research and stumbled upon the tracert command. I have been using this to get a ping reading to my router. It’s about 8ms, which I have been told is absolutely absurd for a wired connection, but the issue that arises is when I run tracert on my other computer that is also on an ethernet connection I am getting <1ms to the router, and none of these ping spikes ranging from 200-1000ms. I have tried different Ethernet cables, restarting the computer, updating network drivers, and my router is saying that everything is running fine.

Solution
2 common things we have seen on this forum.

Do you have 2.5g ethernet ports these have very unstable drivers maybe the newest ones are good now but it has been kinda hit and miss for people which driver works best.

Do you have any so called "gamer" network software installed. Many times this is bundled with the motherboard or some video cards. You want to uninstall this. The worst offender is if you have killer ethernet chipset you need to load a different driver without the killer features and uninstall the application.

There is also some autotunelevel setting that may affect this but I forget which is the best option, this is older issue from years ago when microsoft reset this value in a patch.

Do you have 2.5g ethernet ports these have very unstable drivers maybe the newest ones are good now but it has been kinda hit and miss for people which driver works best.

Do you have any so called "gamer" network software installed. Many times this is bundled with the motherboard or some video cards. You want to uninstall this. The worst offender is if you have killer ethernet chipset you need to load a different driver without the killer features and uninstall the application.

There is also some autotunelevel setting that may affect this but I forget which is the best option, this is older issue from years ago when microsoft reset this value in a patch.

Solution
Jun 5, 2021

So I don’t have any sort of killer/gamer network software to my knowledge, but I do have an Asus b550f which has the 2.5gb Ethernet you mentioned. Should I just attempt to role back the drivers?

Jun 5, 2021
Found an extremely detailed Reddit thread. Apparently there is an error in 1/3 of a handful of motherboards with the 2.5gb Ethernet port. You just have to uninstall the “intel 225v port” driver( not exact name) and then reboot.

TRENDING THREADS