[SOLVED] Ping to Google data center

Aug 9, 2019
I live in Finland, and here in Finland there is a google data center located in Hamina. My ping to that data center is 50-60 but for example to Frankfurt, Germany it is 20-25. Is there any way i can fix this?

Solution
How do you know that the ip addresses you are pinging are actually in the data center that is close to you. They may have different function in different data centers. Companies are pretty secretive about stuff like this since it a lot of it is consider trade secrets.

You delay indicates that the ip you are testing is actually in a data center farther away.

The other option would be your ISP has poor connectivity to the google network. Lets say you neighbor across the street has ISP x and you have ISP y. Now lets say they are really cheap and only connect at one point and that is in the USA. So for your data to across the street it would actually have to go all the way to the USA and back.

Your ISP may not connect to...
Yes, there's a fix:
  • you pull a optic cable between your home and said datacenter;
  • you convince / bribe someone there to connect it to the heart of operations;
  • you get 1ms ping.
As said above - before it's even Google decision, it is your ISP decision where to ship your packets. And I doubt you know what services are provided by said datacenter in order to ask "fast" connection there.

Aug 9, 2019
Yes, there's a fix:
  • you pull a optic cable between your home and said datacenter;
  • you convince / bribe someone there to connect it to the heart of operations;
  • you get 1ms ping.
As said above - before it's even Google decision, it is your ISP decision where to ship your packets. And I doubt you know what services are provided by said datacenter in order to ask "fast" connection there.
I mean how is the latency higher to a place where i am closer than to a place that i am further away? I've tested the ping with multiple ISP

How do you know that the ip addresses you are pinging are actually in the data center that is close to you. They may have different function in different data centers. Companies are pretty secretive about stuff like this since it a lot of it is consider trade secrets.

You delay indicates that the ip you are testing is actually in a data center farther away.

The other option would be your ISP has poor connectivity to the google network. Lets say you neighbor across the street has ISP x and you have ISP y. Now lets say they are really cheap and only connect at one point and that is in the USA. So for your data to across the street it would actually have to go all the way to the USA and back.

Your ISP may not connect to google in your country.

You sometimes can get information from tracert. Many ISP have country city codes in the router names and you can sometime guess where it is.

In the end it does not really matter why you can not change it anyway.

Solution