Pinnacle 8.4...DV or MPEG?

I have a Sony DCR-PC4E digicam...what will give the best quality on
capture?...DV or MPEG?

"TomTom" <tom@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I have a Sony DCR-PC4E digicam...what will give the best quality on
> capture?...DV or MPEG?

Always use DV if you have the disk space (3.6MB/sec needed).
Editing MPEG captures is a royal pain in the ar*e and best avoided
if poss.
HTH
--
Rob

"TomTom" <tom@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I have a Sony DCR-PC4E digicam...what will give the best quality on
> capture?...DV or MPEG?

Many thanks to Rob, Brian and Will for your prompt and helpful replies.

I have acres of disk space so will use DV.
BTW I have just been told there is a guy selling Pinnacle 9 disks at the
local computer show for £5!...now that's what I call a bargain!!

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"TomTom" <tom@nospam.net> wrote:

>I have a Sony DCR-PC4E digicam...what will give the best quality on
>capture?...DV or MPEG?

MPEG is compressed video so the quality will be lower.

Regards Brian

Brian wrote:

> "TomTom" <tom@nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>I have a Sony DCR-PC4E digicam...what will give the best quality on
>>capture?...DV or MPEG?
>>

> MPEG is compressed video so the quality will be lower.

As is DV. Given the two options, MPEG compresses more though.

-WD

Brian <nospam@anywhere.com> wrote:
: "TomTom" <tom@nospam.net> wrote:

:>I have a Sony DCR-PC4E digicam...what will give the best quality on
:>capture?...DV or MPEG?
:>

: MPEG is compressed video so the quality will be lower.

"Best quality" for what .. editing .. or your final product?

I can't see that you'd notice much difference in quality using mpg for
editing .. and there would be NO difference in your final product as
Studio will go back and load in your original footage to make the final
product.

Mpg takes much less disk space and may be faster in editing (not sure) but
it will be considerably slower when it comes time to output your final
product.

With DV files the program already has access to whatever it needs (on
the hard drive) to make the final product.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

> : MPEG is compressed video so the quality will be lower.
>
> "Best quality" for what .. editing .. or your final product?
>
> I can't see that you'd notice much difference in quality using mpg for
> editing .. and there would be NO difference in your final product as
> Studio will go back and load in your original footage to make the final
> product.
>
> Mpg takes much less disk space and may be faster in editing (not sure) but
> it will be considerably slower when it comes time to output your final
> product.

Actually the question MPEG or DV in Studio 8 is not an issue because
neither Studio 8 nor Studio 9 can handle MPEG files correctly.
Try it and you'll know what I mean.
It is a painfully slow process and will crash your computer regularly as
soon
as you do more than just a few cuts.
With Pinnacle Studio 8/9 you are actually getting nowhere with MPEG
files...

Martin